PDA

View Full Version : Nosebleed while pregnant Q?

MamaMolly
11-30-2009, 03:44 PM
I've had a nosebleed today off and on since about 9:00 am. I remember getting them randomly when pregnant for DD but it was earlier on and stopped pretty quickly. My OB at the time told me it was due to a greater blood volume and not uncommon for pregnant women to get them. Flash forward to now and I don't have my What to Expect book to look it up, and I'm wary of Googling it for fear I'll convince myself it is Ebola or something wacky like that.

Background: Our shipment boxes arrived on Friday with a healthy dose of dust and grime from being in transport since August. We also put a new memory foam mattress pad on our bed and it has been outgassing something terrible. I've been sneezing steadily since the first box opened. Yesterday I had a few reddish tissues when I'd (gently) blow my nose, but this morning in the shower I had a tremendous sneeze and then the nose bleed started. I've had a hard time stopping it. If I pinch my nose under the bone it actually bleeds *more* heavily. So for now I'm just trying to wipe it gently and not sneeze.

But since it started at 9-ish and here we are at about 2:40 pm do you think it is worth calling our nurse practitioner? (The only medical help around) If he wants to see me then I'd have to wait until tomorrow anyway and go in with DH in the morning. (Still no car yet). Part of me says it is the dust and crap and the sneezing, and the fraidy cat part of me says it has been going on a crazy long time.

So what do you think?

MoJo
11-30-2009, 03:51 PM
No idea on the nosebleed, but I'm really glad your stuff arrived before the baby!

NancyJ_redo
11-30-2009, 03:58 PM
I got nosebleeds all the time with 2 of my pregnancies, usually 2 per day. Some would last longer than others. Given my experiences I'd say it's nothing to worry about it, but I'm not in healthcare so I don't know for sure.

pb&j
11-30-2009, 03:59 PM
I would definitely call the OB's office!

I had terrible nosebleeds w/all my pregnancies. It was very unsettling - I'd never had any before! But usually they would stop within 30 minutes. For me, an all-day nosebleed does seem like a crazy long time! Even if you can't get seen till tomorrow, the NP may have some advice about how to stop it.