PDA

View Full Version : Ornament crafts for preschooler

clc053103
11-30-2009, 05:14 PM
Does anyone have any ideas for an easy Christmas tree ornament for preschoolers to make themselves?

Thanks!

melonkelli
12-01-2009, 10:44 AM
My kids like to paint and glitter pre-cut wooden shapes from the craft store. You can get flat shapes (easy to paint/brush on glue) or something 3-D (more complicated for brushing). They can pretty much do this on their own, though you want to help out with conserving glitter/not spilling everywhere. I've found that fast food trays (from the montessori supply catalog) lined with waxed paper squares (or plain copier paper) help to keep the glitter from getting everywhere -- and you can pour it back in to the container when you're finished. Just be sure to keep the glitter away from the eyes.

There are also themed craft foam stickers that are even easier to use. You can start with a cutout shape and have the kids stick the foam stickers to the cutout shape. Easy and relatively flat if you're mailing.

kelli

luvmypeanut
12-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Last year we made cinnamon ornaments. My friend gave me the recipe. They smell great and I tied them to the presents as well for an extra treat.

1 4oz. can cinnamon
1 Tbs ground cloves
3/4 C apple sauce
2 Tbs Elmers white glue

Mix ingredients together and knead well. Dough should be of a slightly spongy yet firm consistency. Add more apple sauce if too dry or more cinnamon if too wet.
Rolll out onto double thickness wax paper (I taped the paper to the countertop because the dough was so sticky and would lift the paper up). Cinnamon may be used to prevent douqh from sticking to the rolling pin. Cut with cookie cutters.
You are at the right consistency if the dough separates easily from the cookie cutter and lifts off the table surface with minimal distortion to figure.
While thinner ornaments dry faster, they are more brittle.
Make a hole with a toothpick for a ribbon.
Place on a cookie sheet and air dry (or dry in the sun).
Flip ornaments a couple of times a day until fully dry.
Drying may take one to two days.
Ornaments can also be dried in the oven at very low heat but may lose some of its aroma this way.
String ribbon through the hole and display.

Tondi G
12-01-2009, 01:23 PM
can easily get felt and cut out shapes ... stars, circles, diamonds, and let them glue stuff on them and use glitter... both sides if you like!

they can make little wreaths with shredded wheat and glue, then paint green and glue on red hot candies or glue dots and use red glitter

clc053103
12-01-2009, 02:23 PM
these are some great ideas!! Looks like a nice trip to the craft store and we'll have lots of fun.

DS's school is actually making the cinnamon applesauce ornaments in class tomorrow!