PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a book about hospitals and/or car accidents for 15 month old

writermama
11-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Friends of my parents are looking for books to help explain hospitals and doctors and getting better for their 15 month old grandchild who was in a car accident.

He and his mother were both injured in the accident. He is at home, recovering from superficial bumps and bruises, after being released from the hospital. The mother will still be in the hospital for a while, with fractures in her legs and feet, and will have casts and a walker when she comes home.

My parents' friends are looking for books to read to the child to help explain what has happened, to help him with the trauma of his own experience of the accident and going to the hospital, and to explain that his mommy is going to get better. The only books I can think of would be more suitable for older kids or different situations.

I'm going to search Amazon, but if anyone here has books to suggest, it would be welcome.

sste
11-30-2009, 06:06 PM
No books, but I wonder if getting a doctors kit, a mini ace-bandage, etc and using play to explain it may be more helpful. They could even have a car collision then a special truck or ambulance helping the doll to the hospital and then playing doctor and fixing the doll up. I am not at all sure that a 15 month old will even understand that but I think its a much better shot than the book.

I would also consider having the toddler go to the hospital and see the walker or bring a walker home for him to see. Then have him see his mom using the walker. The idea being to not rush all the unfamilar stuff at him at once.

Good luck to the family!

crl
11-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Curious George Goes to the Hospital.

They could also make a social story for him. They are commonly used with special needs children, but this sounds like a good time for one with a typical kid. Take pictures of the hosptial, of mom smiling in the hospital bed, of a walker, etc. Then write very short, simple text to go with the pictures.

Catherine

mousemom
12-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Here's nice list of children's books meant to help prepare kids for going into the hospital. Not exactly what you need, but might help:
http://www.childrenshospital.org/patientsfamilies/Site1393/mainpageS1393P14sublevel217.html

mousemom
12-01-2009, 12:46 AM
Here's one that deals with children and traumatic experiences in general, although again geared more towards a bit older children:

A Terrible Thing Happened
http://www.amazon.com/Terrible-Thing-Happened-children-witnessed/dp/1557987017/ref=pd_sim_b_3