PDA

View Full Version : How do you organize your wrapping supplies? Where do you keep yours?

gatorsmom
11-30-2009, 06:39 PM
I use mine all the time and ours are a mess. I need a new system of organization. I use ours all the time. It seems there is always someone having a birthday or going to a birthday party who needs a gift wrapped. I have empty boxes for shipping, bubble wrap, long rolls of paper, tissue paper, decorative bags, etc. Anyone found an orderly way to keep this stuff handy?

Any other suggestions?

hbridge
11-30-2009, 06:42 PM
This is not the best way I am sure but...

Rolls of paper are in a plastic standup wrapping paper bin, gift bags and tissue are in an under bed storage bin, and ribbon is in a different room in another bin. Shipping boxes and packing peanuts (recycled from when we get something with them) are in the basement. I can find everything "easily", but it's pretty scattered...

Oh, holiday stuff is with everything else...

m448
11-30-2009, 07:10 PM
I remember watching this tip on TV and I adopted it right away. It was that Peter guy from the TLC decluttering show. Only ONE wrapping paper - he uses kraft paper, I used to use the same now I just buy two to three large rules of a deep red solid paper. Then a grosgrain ribbon (when I used the kraft paper mine was red) but now I use curling ribbon in white. That's it. I keep the roll tucked between my china cabinet and in on of the drawers a pair of scissors, roll of tape and the curling ribbon. I've been doing this for years and it's so much more simple and streamlined.

gatorsmom
11-30-2009, 07:24 PM
I remember watching this tip on TV and I adopted it right away. It was that Peter guy from the TLC decluttering show. Only ONE wrapping paper - he uses kraft paper, I used to use the same now I just buy two to three large rules of a deep red solid paper. Then a grosgrain ribbon (when I used the kraft paper mine was red) but now I use curling ribbon in white. That's it. I keep the roll tucked between my china cabinet and in on of the drawers a pair of scissors, roll of tape and the curling ribbon. I've been doing this for years and it's so much more simple and streamlined.

THIS is an excellent idea. Now what did he have to say about bubble wrap?

lizzywednesday
11-30-2009, 07:27 PM
I have two wrap-and-craft buckets for my wrapping paper - year round stuff in one and Christmas in the other. The Christmas paper gets put away when I put the tree away.

I keep my everyday wrapping bucket in my hall closet. I get the paper from Target and have an assortment of solids and prints.

Both buckets have scissors, tape, tags, ribbon, paper, boxes, bags and plenty of tissue paper.

This may have to change once our LO starts walking, but that shouldn't be for a while yet. Most kids don't walk before 9 months, right? (I'm due in March, so I figure that gives me plenty of time to putz around with the organizational system once Baby starts sleeping through the night.)

happymom
11-30-2009, 07:30 PM
I have one of those wrapping paper containers thats supposed to slide under a bed, except I have it standing up on its side against a wall in the guest room closet. All my wrapping paper is in there. I keep decorative bags and tissue paper in a drawer in the guest room dresser, and all ribbons (I have a lot of ribbons- I :heartbeat: wrapping things up beautifully!) in a separate drawer in the same dresser. This system seems to be working pretty well. I think the key is having enough space or just not keeping so many different papers and ribbons. Period. I used to have everything jammed into one under-the-bed container and that did NOT work out well!

hbridge
11-30-2009, 07:30 PM

I use to do this but the ribbon got to be SO expensive. I'd actually just use the brown parcel wrap paper. HOWEVER, now DC want fancy, fun paper...

m448
11-30-2009, 08:08 PM
I use to do this but the ribbon got to be SO expensive. I'd actually just use the brown parcel wrap paper. HOWEVER, now DC want fancy, fun paper...

Yes, the grosgrain ribbon was sooo pretty but pricey so I switched to a nice red solid wrapping paper and then a big roll of inexpensive curling ribbon (at target). I just tie up about 6 long strands, curl them up and that makes a nice bow in the middle.

I remember seeing a peg board idea in several places like these:

http://thesilveracorn.blogspot.com/2009/11/love-this-gift-wrap-station.html

http://www.diyideas.com/quickprojects/Storage/storage-tip-organize-gift-wrap.html

http://www.marthastewart.com/good-things/gift-wrapping-station

Lisa is the bubble wrap on a roll? I think that's just one of those awkward things to store but maybe rigging something up like those rolled wire hangers that I see in workshops?

emily_gracesmama
11-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Our lowes mailer catalog had instructions to build a peg board organizer, I'm bugging my hubby for it cause it looks cool and I love organization and need more of it.

gatorsmom
11-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Yes, the grosgrain ribbon was sooo pretty but pricey so I switched to a nice red solid wrapping paper and then a big roll of inexpensive curling ribbon (at target). I just tie up about 6 long strands, curl them up and that makes a nice bow in the middle.

I remember seeing a peg board idea in several places like these:

http://thesilveracorn.blogspot.com/2009/11/love-this-gift-wrap-station.html

http://www.diyideas.com/quickprojects/Storage/storage-tip-organize-gift-wrap.html

http://www.marthastewart.com/good-things/gift-wrapping-station

Lisa is the bubble wrap on a roll? I think that's just one of those awkward things to store but maybe rigging something up like those rolled wire hangers that I see in workshops?

Thank you again for looking for those for me. I guess the problem is that I buy gift wrap paper when ever it's on sale at Target since it's so expensive. so, i have quite a few rolls. ANd anytime we get a package in the mail with bubble wrap or foam peanuts I save that to reuse too. And I have loads of gift bags because they are so handy. so, I'd like to do a pegboard thing and I have the room for it, but those pictures show like 3 tiny gift bags hanging on there....I have about 40! Not to mention about 10 rolls of paper (although I think I'm going to use up what I've got and try your idea with just the red paper- that'll help alot). And there is no room on the pegboards for bubble wrap which can get bulky. Or a ton of tissue paper which I always reuse. sigh. Anyone else have an ingenious idea?

Every time I have to pull all my wrapping supplies together I get REALLY jealous of Candy Spelling (Tori Spelling's mom) who says she has TWO gift wrap rooms in her house. must be nice.

Elilly
11-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Christmas wrap goes in one under the bed storage box, all other types in another. Christmas gift bags, ribbon, and gift tags go in another. All other gift bags are sorted by gender/event and in another. They are stacked in a storage unit in the basement with scissors, tape etc in a small box as well. It's not perfect but it works for me!

jgenie
11-30-2009, 10:44 PM
I have one of these (http://www.target.com/White-Sterilite-4-Drawer-Plastic-Wheels/dp/B0006O0EE2/ref=br_1_12?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&searchView=grid5&searchNodeID=14034461&node=14034461&searchRank=salesrank&searchPage=1&searchSize=30&id=White%20Sterilite%204-Drawer%20Plastic%20Wheels) but mine has 5 drawers - 2 shallow drawers and 3 deep drawers. One shallow drawer has markers, pens and scissors the other drawer has tape and stickers. One deep drawer has tissue paper, one deep drawer has gift bags and one deep drawer has bows and ribbons. It actually works pretty well as long as I put things back where they go when I'm done with them. I buy wrapping paper when I see it on sale, but try really hard to only have a couple of rolls open at a time. I keep the open rolls in the same closet as the organizer. I keep sealed rolls in another room in an under bed wrap organizer.

m448
11-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Thank you again for looking for those for me. I guess the problem is that I buy gift wrap paper when ever it's on sale at Target since it's so expensive. so, i have quite a few rolls. ANd anytime we get a package in the mail with bubble wrap or foam peanuts I save that to reuse too. And I have loads of gift bags because they are so handy. so, I'd like to do a pegboard thing and I have the room for it, but those pictures show like 3 tiny gift bags hanging on there....I have about 40! Not to mention about 10 rolls of paper (although I think I'm going to use up what I've got and try your idea with just the red paper- that'll help alot). And there is no room on the pegboards for bubble wrap which can get bulky. Or a ton of tissue paper which I always reuse. sigh. Anyone else have an ingenious idea?

Every time I have to pull all my wrapping supplies together I get REALLY jealous of Candy Spelling (Tori Spelling's mom) who says she has TWO gift wrap rooms in her house. must be nice.

I completely understand. My wrapping situation is under control but like you my recycled mailing supplies are so not pretty in the garage. It's a mish mash of stuff that only I know how to access. I just had to giggle though at Candy Spelling as I can totally see her pulling a Martha like that. LOL

happymom
11-30-2009, 11:01 PM
I think the only organized way to store bubble wrap, tissue paper, lots of ribbons, and lots of bags is in DRAWERS. I dont see how a pegboard will work for this. I think a pegboard is meant for someone who has one or two rolls of ribbon, a couple bags etc. I looove hoarding this stuff (DH thinks its crazy :) ) and I really do end up using it!

Do you have some dresser drawers in an extra room that can be emptied out for this purpose? The wrapping paper rolls prob won't fit, but those can be easily organized in a tall wrapping paper bin (from target etc). If you don't have an extra dresser, just get a plastic one like jgenie posted. It will be convenient to have it on wheels as well.

MontrealMum
12-01-2009, 01:58 AM
Here's my system. It's not perfect, but I can find everything, and it's put away!

I bought one of those Rubbermaid wrapping paper containers only to find out that it was too short to store all but one of my rolls of paper :( However, the Uhaul box that we had yet to get rid of, it's sized specifically for blinds and shades, was long enough. So, roll paper in cardboard box. Bows (we reuse) in one smallish rubbermaid lock-top box. Tissue paper (we reuse this too) in another. Unlike in the US where lots of the paper is that folded in a square type (from Hallmark), ours is mostly on rolls. So, I'm not really storing much paper flat at all. Tape and scissors are in with the bows as is ribbon. It's all in the storage unit under our TV, except the paper which is in the closet.

I thought I saw a thread here recently where someone linked a fabric, over-the-door wrapping paper organizer, which you could slip rolls into but had pockets for small things like tape? Maybe from Etsy? Kind of like the ones for shoes or jewelry that I had back in college. It sounded interesting....

NancyJ_redo
12-01-2009, 03:15 AM
I bought this gift bag organizer last month from The Container Store when they had that Oprah coupon available http://www.containerstore.com/shop/giftPackaging/organizers?productId=10011120. We just used it for the first time this past weekend and it seemed to work well...much easier than our past organizational system of just shoving all the gift bags, tissue and tags in a drawer. It actually seems like it will work well going forward, but it's not time tested yet.

This, of course, only solves my gift bag issue and doesn't begin to address the mess of wrapping paper I have ;)

HIU8
12-01-2009, 12:58 PM
My system is odd, I will admit. My mom used to own a paper box, wrapping paper etc... business. I have a lot of her stock that we use for gifts. I have ribbon, bows, bags in a nightstand that was adopted for this purpose. Everything has a separate drawer. and the wrapping paper in bins right next to the nightstand. So far this works for us (it's in our basement).

Percycat
12-01-2009, 06:01 PM
I enjoy wrapping presents. I love having a variety of paper and ribbons.

I have a small room/large closet in an unfinished part of my basement. Two of the walls are shelves that hold all of my holiday decorations in large plastic tubs, future presents, 'treasures' from my childhood.... anything that "I" want to store. The third wall has a large table attached to the wall made from an extra door with shelves above the table. I use the table to wrap presents. It is hung at the perfect work height, but I also have a stool under the table incase I want to sit. I use the shelves to store a large variety of boxes. My cheap old 5 drawer tall dresser from college is next to the table. The top drawer has a variety of pre-made bows. The second drawer has gift wrap tools and accessories (e.g., scissors, wrapping tape, packing tape, paper cutters, various bow making tools, gift tags). The tools are in plastic shoe box so I can take them with me if I want to work somewhere else. The next drawer has a variety of tissue paper. (The remaining two drawers are for some sewing crafts). On top of the dresser is my old college TV and VCR for watching Christmas movies while I wrap. In front of the dresser and next to the table, I have a kitchen size round trash can holding a variety of wrapping paper rolls. Also in this area is a large plastic garbage can (like the kind you take to the street) to collect all of my waste. On top of the table, under the shelves and between the wall studs, I have plastic shoe storage boxes filled with large rolls of ribbon I buy from Costco/Sams/hobby lobby etc. Above the table on the wall with my closet door hangs all of my curling ribbon. My husband purchased 5 skinny dowel rods and drilled holes in the wall studs. I hang large curling ribbon spools on the dowel rods in the spaces between the studs. I can grab the end of the spool and easily pull the length of ribbon I desire. Hanging high above the floor next to the door (on the other side of the closet/room) is a garbage bag filled with packing popcorn. Extra present bags hang are stuffed inside large present bags and hang on a nail under the table, against the front wall. The space under the table also stores a few large boxes, bubble wrap and too many outgrown children's clothes that I haven't dealt with yet.

This room is off limits to everyone in the house, although the rule is not always obeyed. It is a pretty good place to hide presents and I ALWAYS know where my tape and scissors are. (not true anywhere else in our house.)

On the storage shelves on the other side of the closet/room, I have a couple boxes for future presents. In one box, I have presents purchased for parties I expect my children will be invited to in the next year or so. I also have a couple boxes for gifts I have purchased for my family. Right now, I am starting large bags for each member of my family or each household to store gifts and stocking stuffers. Most of this side of the room, however, has my holiday/seasonal decorations.

My room is far from fancy, but I really enjoy it.

wellyes
12-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Kraft paper and string, like that Mary Poppins song :) or kraft paper and fabric ribbon. But my gifts don't turn out gorgeous, just OK. That's fine by me.

I think the only organized way to store bubble wrap, tissue paper, lots of ribbons, and lots of bags is in DRAWERS. I dont see how a pegboard will work for this. I think a pegboard is meant for someone who has one or two rolls of ribbon, a couple bags etc. I looove hoarding this stuff (DH thinks its crazy :) ) and I really do end up using it!I agree with this. I think those pegboards probably look lovely for exceptionally organized people or people with homes large enough to have a wrapping room. Otherwise, I think it'd get junky in most cases.

KrisM
12-01-2009, 07:34 PM
I buy big rolls of generic type of paper. I have a girl paper and a boy paper. They're in a corner between my piano and wall.

I don't do ribbons :).

I used to save bubble wrap, but couldn't find a good way to store it, so I don't. I have plain newsprint on a roll now, if I need packing material.

There's a part of me that wants this though: http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Gift-Wrap-Center-Snapware/dp/B000KUHMSS

ETA: for gift bags, I have them sorted by type and use one of them to hold the rest. So, I have a Christmas, birthday, and wedding bag and they have bags inside.

jgenie
12-01-2009, 08:24 PM
There's a part of me that wants this though: http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Gift-Wrap-Center-Snapware/dp/B000KUHMSS

Oh , that's neat!!!