PDA

View Full Version : spelling help for a ten year old

Globetrotter
11-30-2009, 07:33 PM
My DD is a very creative writer, and her technical skills are quite good, but she could use some help with her spelling! She makes 100's on all her spelling tests, so it's not like she CAN'T learn, but for some reason she is VERY careless in her day to day writing! Are there any good (and fun to use) programs?

She is an excellent reader, so you would think she would know how to spell!

lizzywednesday
11-30-2009, 07:37 PM
What kind of emphasis is placed on spelling in her other subjects?

When I was in grammar school, we were graded on spelling/grammar in all of our subjects, not just the "spelling" tests. Spelling tests are simply rote memorization if spelling, grammar and usage isn't emphasized in other areas.

I know you're looking for a game or something, but, really, emphasizing spelling as something that counts in other areas, not just on tests, is part of how I often describe myself as having "spellcheck" in my head.

shishamo
11-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Wow, I have no idea how to help but my son (he's 3 weeks shy of 10) is exactly the same way. He's an excellent reader and gets good scores on spelling tests, has an excellent vocabulary and loves to write- but his everyday spelling is terrible. It does not help that his sister is much better at spelling. I hope someone can help!

aks226
11-30-2009, 09:14 PM
This really isn't much help, but when I was about that age, I was the exact same way. We noticed that as my sister grew up, she had the opposite problem, she could spell, but she was a terrible reader. What we discovered was I learned to read using phonics and she was taught to read by recognition.

I'm now almost 30 and I am still a horrible speller, but a great reader. I spelled words like "caution" as "cautshun" until well into middle/highschool. I know that isn't very encouraging, but with the use of spell check, I'm ususally in pretty good shape. When I have to hand write something I will often type it out first, just to double check my spelling.

pinkmomagain
11-30-2009, 10:21 PM
My 10 yo is similar. Great reader, creative writer, large vocabulary, gets 100% on her spelling tests, but mispells on her papers. She's ADHD...I don't know if that plays a role at all. I always felt that she is focusing her attention on what she's trying to express and the physical process of writing, so the spelling kinda loses priority. I don't fret about it...eventually, spellcheck will be her friend. My DH is very successful professionally and is a weak speller.

Globetrotter
11-30-2009, 11:05 PM
The strange thing is she does really well on random spelling tests. There is a huge emphasis on standardized testing (ugh) so they do loads of these tests (without preparation) and she is able to recognize misspelled words, but this doesn't translate into her writing.

The more I think about it, I feel a good deal of it is carelessness, and the cure for that is to pay attention and double check, and also practice! No easy solution, I'm afraid!

newbiemom
12-01-2009, 12:10 AM
This isn't a program, but one thing I tell my students when they go back to check their work is to read their writing backwards - from end to beginning (last word first, not literally backwards). They're more likely to catch errors this way since the meaning of the story is gone.

Globetrotter
12-01-2009, 12:32 AM
read their writing backwards

Yes! I did tell her this recently as it's a trick *I* learned in my professional writing! I will have to keep reminding her :)