PDA

View Full Version : New to croup and forgot to ask ped

alexsmommy
11-30-2009, 09:39 PM
How long does croup last? It's going around our town and my parents (who watch my children when I work) who have only called one time because of a sick kid (which turned out to be pneumonia) called and said DS1 sounded like he had croup. They didn't know it was going around and were surprised. Ped's nurse called back said I was the 8th call today. I was so relieved to hear that for now we don't have to head to the er unless we hear/see signs for stridor I forgot to ask how long will it last and how long is he contagious? I'll call again in the morning but DS1 is begging me to go to school tomorrow - which I doubt I'll allow even if he sounds fine the morning. I like to give him 24 hours with all respiratory stuff due to his history. What's typical? I'd don't want to tell him he'll probably only miss one day if there's a good chance it will be longer. No fever, little congestion, seems to feel fine other than mild cold symptoms and that horrid barking cough. None of my kids got it as infants so this is new to me.
TIA

MommyAllison
11-30-2009, 10:20 PM
It's usually the worst the second night. When DD had it the first time, we went into the ER Monday evening, and I called later that week to ask how long she'd be contagious. They told me by Saturday she should be fine. She didn't have a cough though, and her only symptom was the stridor, so I doubt she was really contagious that long - I think the nurse I spoke with didn't really know and thought 5 days would be a safe length of time. ;) Honestly, I'd call back tomorrow and ask how long he's contagious. Good luck tonight! Hopefully since he's older, you'll have a good night.

hillview
11-30-2009, 10:20 PM
I have been told often second night is worse than first. After that it seems like it goes away? Good luck!
/hillary

alexsmommy
11-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks, that helps. I told him that he'd probably wouldn't miss all week, but I wouldn't promise any more than that. He's not happy. This poor kids seems to miss a day or two every few weeks. His teacher is great - thank goodness - and has asthma herself so she "gets" it and is always wonderful.
He was "barking" in bed while trying to go to sleep, but I put two humidifiers in there and that seemed to calm it down.
The good thing is, since I pee 100x's a night I know I'll be up to check on him.

SnuggleBuggles
11-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Ds2's school didn't require him to miss any school for croup. They said it wasn't contagious. I have heard conflicting things about that but since school policy was ok with him being there I only kept him out 1 day (only kept him home b/c I thought they'd say he couldn't come in).

I do ibuprofen too since it is an inflamation though that is my own thing and probably not actually recommended!

Beth

Tondi G
11-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Thanks, that helps. I told him that he'd probably wouldn't miss all week, but I wouldn't promise any more than that. He's not happy. This poor kids seems to miss a day or two every few weeks. His teacher is great - thank goodness - and has asthma herself so she "gets" it and is always wonderful.
He was "barking" in bed while trying to go to sleep, but I put two humidifiers in there and that seemed to calm it down.
The good thing is, since I pee 100x's a night I know I'll be up to check on him.

My DS was barking one night, next day went to the ped cause he was still barking when he got up for the day. woke up from a nap barking and then went to bed with a slight bark and slept through the night (I was shocked). The 2nd day he was fine... no more wheezy breathing and the barking cough didn't return!

marit
12-01-2009, 12:07 AM
I am not a doctor, but this is what I know about croup:

Croup isn't contagouse. Some kids react a certain way to a common cold or virus. Their vocal cords swell and that causes breathing difficulty and a barking cough. They usually outgrow it in a few years. DS had croup, and has outgrown it at the age of 2.5 or so.

The best thing for that is cold and dry air. If it happens at night, wrap them up really warm and take them outside. The cold air usually makes it better in a few minutes.

brittone2
12-01-2009, 12:16 AM
DS is 5.5 and has had croup almost annually since before he turned 1. It isn't fun.

In our case, it is usually just a mild cold/illness during the day, and then around 9pm the barking starts. When he was under 1 he had a bit of stridor with it but since then he has not had stridor. We usually ended up sitting upright with him in bed on our chests if needed, often w/ the windows open so it was super cool, which always helped him. We also did some late night walks around outside in the cool night air.

I agree w/ the PPs...I've always been told croup itself usually isn't contagious. Some kids just react w/ more inflammation and swelling and get croup as a reaction to a cold or other virus (and that virus is contagious, but croup itself is more of a symptom that some kids are just more inclined to develop?). I know there were several times my DS had only a mild runny nose during the day but the crazy barking cough at night. It always throws you for a loop when you hear that bark start.

Besides stridor, I've always been told to watch for any indrawing of their chest when breathing. Dr. Sears has some info:
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T084200.asp

Our worst episode was when DS was not yet 1 and already had a small airway anyway. As he has gotten older it has been easier for us to manage with a steamy bathroom, cold night air, etc. to calm things down. For us it was always worse on the 2nd night. FWIW this was always the time of the year we ended up with it usually...late November through mid January or so. When he was very young I remember taking walks around in the stroller in the cool night air looking at the neighborhood lights and decorations.

I hope your little one feels better soon.

alexsmommy
12-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Ds2's school didn't require him to miss any school for croup. They said it wasn't contagious. I have heard conflicting things about that but since school policy was ok with him being there I only kept him out 1 day (only kept him home b/c I thought they'd say he couldn't come in).

I do ibuprofen too since it is an inflamation though that is my own thing and probably not actually recommended!

Beth

Interesting. Dr. Sears says it is. DS1 seems FINE this morning. He is desperate to go to school. I"m really, really torn. I would think that around here there is some virus which is prone to turn into croup going around, all these "older" (5+) kids are getting it. We have no hx of him having it so it is strange that he got it. I'm thinking I might see if I can reach his teacher and let her know I have no problem at all with her sending him home if it starts back up, and then send him. His cold started Thursday night and his nose has stopped running, no sneezing so I doubt he's currently highly contagious. He just loves school so much - but he has gym today so I'm wondering if the running will start it again. At least it doesn't seem severe and managable with some steam. I wish I could reach his actual ped instead of her service at this hour. Her daughter shares a locker with DS1 so I feel very comfortable sending him to school when she says its ok since I doubt she'll intentionally expose her daughter to anything.
Thanks all - very interesting to read the different perspectives.

SnuggleBuggles
12-01-2009, 08:33 AM
They asked at ds2's school if he was having nasal discharge and when I said no they really urged me to just bring him in.

Beth

egoldber
12-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Croup isn't contagouse. Some kids react a certain way to a common cold or virus. Their vocal cords swell and that causes breathing difficulty and a barking cough. They usually outgrow it in a few years. DS had croup, and has outgrown it at the age of 2.5 or so.

:yeahthat:

Croup is the reaction of the body to a cold or virus. So "croup" itself is not contagious, because it is a symptom, but the underlying cold or virus may be. If they don't have a fever or other symptoms, I would send a kid to school with croup.