PDA

View Full Version : Who watched DC1 when DC2 was born?

MacMacMoo
11-30-2009, 11:56 PM
We are new to an area and as a stay at home mom we haven't really branched out and met new people. DC2 is going to be born in March and I'm getting a little concern about who I can get to watch DC1. We are on the complete opposite side of the country for any of the grand parents to come watch DC1...

ilfaith
12-01-2009, 12:22 AM
We actually ended up bringing DS1 to the hospital with us when DS2 was born. It wasn't our original plan, but DS2 came early, quickly, and in the middle of the night. Our neighbors (plan A to watch DS) were out of town the week he was born and my labor progressed so quickly (two hours from first contraction to cutting the cord at 4:30 a.m.) that our other friends (plan B) who offered to babysit would never have made it to our home in time for me to get to the hospital. DS1 slept through the whole thing (in his stroller, in the bathroom of my delivery room).

When DS3 was born I went into labor at about 8:30 in the morning and we left both boys with our neighbors (who fortunately were early risers that Sunday morning). DS3 was born before noon.

belovedgandp
12-01-2009, 12:26 AM
My parents are in town.

I have watched the first child for two different friends who didn't have family in town. They were ladies I had met through my MOMS Club. I'm a good option since DH rarely travels and my dad lives super close, so I can go to help them while ditching my own kids :)

Jo..
12-01-2009, 01:12 AM
We had planned to leave DS (who was almost 2) with the neighbors, but took him with us. I labored at home mostly (because it's just more comfy than in the hospital), then headed to the hospital with DS in tow. He slept in the stroller, but really it was half an hour from the time we got there until DD was born. He woke up when I was pushing and DH gave him a snack. :love-retry:

I was super worried about who to leave him with, and it turned out to be such a non-issue. The more the merrier!

niccig
12-01-2009, 01:35 AM
I've looked after all the older kids in our playgroup when DC#2 and #3 were born. It helps that we're 5 mins from the hospital and I'm a SAHM. DH doesn't leave for work until 9am, so I've gone to a friend's house in the middle of the night, and then brought all the kids to my house early in the morning.

Are you part of a Moms Club or playgroup? In our playgroup and in the circle of parents at DS's school, we normally pitch in at times like this as no one has family in town.

MommyAllison
12-01-2009, 04:12 AM
My mom, sister, and MIL took turns while we were at the hospital with DS. I've watched my old next door neighbor's DS while she went in for her scheduled c-section, and then took him to the hospital when their new baby was a few hours old. They wanted him with them, and kept him at the hospital with them until they were discharged. That isn't allowed at any of the hospitals in my area now with the H1N1 rules though. I would definitely check with your hospital about their policies before planning to bring your DC along.

klwa
12-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Left DS with ILs, since they're in the same town. Had a friend who had agreed to come over & spend the night if it came down to that, as well. I'd start getting involved with a Moms group as PP suggested to try to find someone. Or, is there anyoen you DH works with who he considers a friend? I was #3 on my old boss's list to pick up his DS when his wife was expecting #2. (#1 was out of town, & #2 was on call for the evening since she worked out of town, so I was on deck if his DS needed to be picked up from daycare before grands made it to town.)

Neatfreak
12-01-2009, 08:00 AM
We have zero family here, so we dropped DD1 off at the home of a dear friend. She was happy to help out, thankfully ...

WatchingThemGrow
12-01-2009, 08:02 AM
My mom flew here from states away a few days before my EDD. It worked out well that I started having contractions, picked her up from the airport, then went to the hospital that night all three times. The third time, she fell right after I gave birth and had to fly home, but at least she was here to watch the big kids while we were in the hospital that first night. We did have backup family in the area and they came over and watched the DC when my mom had to go to the emergency room for treatment while I was in the recovery room for a few hours. What a mess. Lesson- orient your parents to baby gates.

I've watched 2 families' older DC while mom was in the hospital. They were dropped off at our house by the dads. It worked out well. Any playgroup moms around?

egoldber
12-01-2009, 08:04 AM
My mom flew here from states away a few days before my EDD.

My MIL did this for me. It worked well.

jgenie
12-01-2009, 08:35 AM
We're in a similar position. I have a playgroup Mom that has offered to come get DS and take him to her house when I go into labor. I also have two friends that live closer that have agreed to come pull night duty if I go into labor at night so DS can sleep in his own bed and then my mommy friend would come get DS in the morning. :hug: It's hard not having family in the area. If worse comes to worse, DH can stay with DS until someone can get here and I will head to the hospital either with our doula or on my own. We're 5 minutes from the hospital and I drove myself when DS was born.

MamaMolly
12-01-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm in the same boat too. I have the added twist of having had DD1 at 36 weeks, so there is no telling when I'd need someone. My IL's are renting a house about an hour away while they do a house hunting search. Fingers crossed they will be the ones to watch DD.

KrisM
12-01-2009, 09:12 AM
I had a friend watch them until my mom could get here.

Could you hire a doula? She'd be experienced with the birth process so could know when to take him out of the room, etc.

Mikey0709
12-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Please check with your hospital - - due to H1n1 ours no longer permits ANYONE under the age of 18 in the maternity unit... at all! No siblings, visitors, etc.... not even when bringing the baby home- they have to wait in the car! Seems to be a new rule at MOST hospitals around here now!

cono0507
12-01-2009, 11:39 AM
I had a scheduled repeat c-section on a Friday. MIL and FIL stayed at our house Thursday night until we got home on Sunday afternoon. If not for them, I likely would have had DS stay with a good friend of mine - I've watched her son overnight before and it worked out fine.

MoJo
12-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Please check with your hospital - - due to H1n1 ours no longer permits ANYONE under the age of 18 in the maternity unit... at all!

:yeahthat:

That's here too, even in the birth center where in 2008 they encouraged parents to bring the other siblings to watch the birth. I'm REALLY hoping they will change that rule by June, when I'm due.

My mom is going to come watch DD, but I'm nervous that she won't be able to get here (it's a three hour drive) before we have to leave for the hospital. In that case, I'm really hoping my only SAHM local friend is available. Because if not, I'll have to leave DH to watch DD, and that means that I wouldn't be allowed to give birth in the birth center where I want to, and I'd be alone, which is NOT what I want, at all.

m448
12-01-2009, 11:53 AM
I agree check to see if your hospital has changed policy re: H1N1

For my second we hired a doula that was for me but also there just in case things got complicated and my husband would have to be with me and our oldest needed to step out. He was two and sat with my husband in my room and was a champ (we had prepped him for birth, etc.). I was only there for about 2-3 hours in the wee hours of the morning before his brother was born.

My third was a homebirth and frankly it was such a relief not to have to figure out how to deal with the kids. We also live far away from family and while I now do have some close friends that have helped out, it was nice to have everyone under the same roof. The boys thoroughly enjoyed the birth of their sister.

brittone2
12-01-2009, 12:26 PM
We had a (freestanding) birth center birth so DS went along with us and we met my parents there (they welcome siblings but ask that they have an adult attendant). DS hung out in the common area, which was like a living room and kitchen, playing w/ toys with my parents. My labor was short so it wasn't a long wait for him. DS and my parents came in as soon as DD was born. We went home 4 hours after the birth so everyone just hung out until then (even though it was overnight hours).

We are planning on having baby #3 at the same birth center. My parents will be there w/ the kids again. DD really insists she wants to be in the room and catch the baby and cut the cord LOL, so now DS wants to be in there too ;) Our local freestanding birth center still welcomes siblings.

bubbaray
12-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Our best friends drove 5 hours in horrible winter conditions to be here for DD#2's scheduled c/s. They brought DD#1 to the hospital as soon as I was out of recovery.

All of the hospitals here have banned all children (both sick and healthy) from maternity wards. No exceptions. They are also asking "sick" or symptomatic husbands/fathers to stay away, though they aren't enforcing that.