PDA

View Full Version : What did you do with your wedding dress?

Tammy
12-01-2009, 12:24 AM
Mine is boxed up after being dry cleaned and in the closet. Been there for a few years now. It's such a pretty dress but I'll never wear it again and I'm debating on whether I should sell it. Maybe someone else would love it as much as I did. Still hesitating though- just the sentimental value I guess.

brittone2
12-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Donated. I'm terribly unsentimental sometimes LOL.

rlu
12-01-2009, 12:33 AM
cleaned and boxed up on top of DS's armoire. I had hoped to pass it down but it is probably unlikely DS's choice will fit. Too sentimental to let it go.

ilfaith
12-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Mine is boxed up and residing in my old closet (along with several old bridesmaid dresses) at my parents' house. I did offer it to the fiancees of two of my cousins (who happened to be around my size) but, as yet, had no takers.

gatorsmom
12-01-2009, 12:37 AM
I'm a total sap. I waited until I found a dry cleaners who let me know when they were using freshly changed chemicals, (did you know that some dry cleaners use the same fluid every day for MONTHS and just filter the lint and other chunks out of it? so, everyone's clothes keep getting cleaned in the same sludgy solution. I know, right? :barf:). Then I brought the packaging material home and preserved it myself. Now it's sitting in the basement.

I LOVE my dress. I had dreamed of owning one of these dresses but they were totally out of my price range. Until one day by total chance I found an upscale bridal shop that was going out of business. She had a sample by this designer that she was selling for 75% off the usual price. I fell in love with it. Even if Sisi never wants it, I couldn't get rid of this dress. sigh.

bigsis
12-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Mine is dry cleaned and boxed up as well. My DD looks at it sometimes and marvels at how pretty it is. I can't get rid of it as this point (I've been married 11 yrs) it's just too sentimental. I highly doubt my DD would fit into it. She'll be so much taller than me. **Sigh**

amandabea
12-01-2009, 12:45 AM
Mine is dry cleaned and boxed up as well. My DD looks at it sometimes and marvels at how pretty it is. I can't get rid of it as this point (I've been married 11 yrs) it's just too sentimental. I highly doubt my DD would fit into it. She'll be so much taller than me. **Sigh**

:yeahthat:
except for the married 11 years part ;)

elektra
12-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Mine is balled up and stuffed in my closet. I never got it preserved or anything. I have the pictures. :)

MMEand1
12-01-2009, 01:00 AM
When my DD was born, I brought it to a seamstress and had her cut it down into a Blessing Dress for my DD. She took pictures of the dress and then used the dress to create one for my DD for her Baby Blessing at church. She even used the zipper from my dress and placed the ornamentation on hers just like it was on mine. I knew that my DD would probably not have my taste and let's be honest, how many DD wear their mothers wedding gown? Probably not many anymore these days, so I figured that I would do something useful with it and have it sized for my DD. It turned out beautifully and I am so glad I did I did it!

bluestar2
12-01-2009, 01:03 AM

gatorsmom
12-01-2009, 01:08 AM
When my DD was born, I brought it to a seamstress and had her cut it down into a Blessing Dress for my DD. She took pictures of the dress and then used the dress to create one for my DD for her Baby Blessing at church. She even used the zipper from my dress and placed the ornamentation on hers just like it was on mine. I knew that my DD would probably not have my taste and let's be honest, how many DD wear their mothers wedding gown? Probably not many anymore these days, so I figured that I would do something useful with it and have it sized for my DD. It turned out beautifully and I am so glad I did I did it!

That is a beautiful idea!

sarahsthreads
12-01-2009, 01:15 AM
Mine is balled up and stuffed in my closet. I never got it preserved or anything. I have the pictures. :)

:yeahthat: except that it's stuffed in the closet in my old bedroom at my parents' house.

Every now and then I think I should go check out what condition it's in and see if I could sell or donate it. And then I think I should preserve it and keep it just in case one of the girls wants it someday. And then I don't do either one. So it sits there, in my old bedroom closet, taking up massive amounts of space and collecting years of dust.

It could be worse, it could be taking up space in my own house!

Sarah :)

wencit
12-01-2009, 01:37 AM
Mine is balled up and stuffed in my closet. I never got it preserved or anything. I have the pictures. :) LOL, me too! I never even cleaned it or anything. I have 2 boys, so it's pretty much a non-issue for me, but even if I did have a daughter, I knew she wouldn't want to wear it anyway -- and what are the chances that she'll be the same size as me and everything?! Still, I didn't want to just throw it in the trash, so perhaps I'll donate it as Beth suggested.

elliput
12-01-2009, 02:12 AM
My dress is actually a two piece jacket/skirt set, so I could use both pieces individually if I wanted (and if they fit). Currently, the outfit is hanging up in the downstairs closet in a garment bag. The most sentimental thing about my wedding dress is the material that was used for the jacket. It was one of two pieces of silk that my father purchased in Japan for my mom before they were married. Mom used one piece for her wedding dress and saved the other.

mommyp
12-01-2009, 02:18 AM
Mine was cleaned, boxed up and is currently being stored under our bed. I can't get rid of it, I'm too sentimental about it. It was better when it was at my parents...but a few years ago they drove out to visit and brought me all my stuff from their basement!!!

MommyAllison
12-01-2009, 04:20 AM
Mine needs to be cleaned, badly. After the wedding I noticed grass stains and raspberry stains on the hem, who knows what else is there. Not sure if that would even come out after sitting for over 6 years... But I'll keep it forever. :) I don't think of myself as super sentimental, but I guess I am!

Gena
12-01-2009, 07:24 AM
I had my MIL turn mine into a christening gown. It came out absolutely beautiful and DS wore it for his baptism.

klwa
12-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Boxed up & in my closet. I couldn't get rid of it, and now, no one would probably want it. (Definately a 90's dress.) But I loved it, and am glad to have it. If DD doesn't want to use it, maybe I'll use it to have baptismal gowns made for grandchildren or something.

WatchingThemGrow
12-01-2009, 07:55 AM
No one's said this one....I forgot it at the dry cleaner! Actually, it was hanging in my closet for just over 4 years until a babysitter/mother's helper was here helping me get ready for our yard sale. She was going to get hangers for the sale, so I asked if she could get a quote on my dress. If they would clean it for $25-30, I said to go for it. Probably should go pick it up and put it on CL for someone getting married this spring/summer. We don't have much room for it right now.

maestramommy
12-01-2009, 08:15 AM
Mine is wrapped in acid free paper after I handwashed it in the tub. And stored in a copy paper box, in our cedar closet. Maybe one day the girls will wear it. Otherwise to Goodwill it goes!

Melaine
12-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Cleaned and boxed and under the girls beds. I hope my little sister might want it someday since we have similar tastes and she is very practical. It's annoying that it takes up so much room though. It's bad to store them in the attic, right?

alien_host
12-01-2009, 08:49 AM
I did get mine dry cleaned but I didn't have it boxed or preserved, I'm cheap that way. ;) It's hanging in the closet in our office.

SnuggleBuggles
12-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Moths are probably eating it and it's probably badly stained b/c it's sitting in a closet at my IL's and I never did anything prior to putting it in storage.

Beth

MamaMolly
12-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Mine is in a garment bag in my sister's house. If she ever decided to declutter I'll keep it, though. My mom's dress was cut up and used for doll clothes before we were ever born (her mom was way to practical) so my sister and I have this whole fascination about wedding dresses. I would have loved to at least seen the fabric. I don't care if DDs wear my dress for their weddings, I just want it there for them to see and play with. I love the idea of using the fabric from it for a baptism gown. If we didn't have MIL's family's 100+ year old gown I'd probably do this.

I love my dress. Not only was it beautiful, I also bought a sample/bargain. It was originally $1,600 and I got it for $400. Real shantung silk, too!!

Ceepa
12-01-2009, 09:33 AM
It's dry-cleaned and stored in an archival box on the top shelf of my closet. I loved it so much when I found it and probably spent too much. I'm keeping it. :D

lchang25000
12-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Sitting in the garment bag in my closet. Never got it cleaned or preserved.

MoJo
12-01-2009, 09:55 AM
I think mine has been cleaned and is at my mom's house. She took it after the wedding, and I haven't seen it since.

clc053103
12-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Preserved in a box, useless. I don't even have a daughter and neither does my sister!!!

Speaking of weddings- how many of you in your previous life were "knotties" (a/k/a you hung out on theknot.com)?? I think about all the time I spent planning my wedding, it's almost comical!!

dogmom
12-01-2009, 10:03 AM
I keep it in my cedar chest so I can prove to my daughter I spent $7 on a new wedding dress.

pb&j
12-01-2009, 10:04 AM
It's hanging in my closet. We eloped, so I didn't have the traditional big white dress. It's just a little sundress from Ann Taylor (that I got on sale, natch).

JElaineB
12-01-2009, 10:41 AM
I had it cleaned and sold it at a wedding consignment shop right away. I still have my veil though.

Moneypenny
12-01-2009, 10:48 AM
I think mine is in the basement somewhere. We're not really wedding people so it's just a regular dress (although I did succumb to tradition somewhat and get it in ivory) and not a big gown.

ThreeofUs
12-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Hanging in my closet. I used to wear it dancing pre-baby; had it made just so I could!

ZeeBaby
12-01-2009, 11:15 AM
I prserved mine. Hopefully with two little girls one will want to wear it.

jellibeans
12-01-2009, 11:19 AM
I thought about selling mine on Ebay but to only get $100 for a dress that my daughter might want to wear some day...I just couldn't do it. I know someone that used her dress to make a baptism outfit for her kids. Cute idea but once it is cut, you can't put it back together.

HIU8
12-01-2009, 11:26 AM
I preserved mine also. However, I also have my mother's preserved dress. I want to get rid of it. I'm thinking a wedding consignment shop or just give it away. it is over 30 yrs old and my parents are not even married any longer. She actually got angry with me for wanting to get rid of it--BUT SHE WON'T TAKE IT BACK. So, she no longer has a say in what I do with it.

My dress is another story. I will most likely sell it at a wedding consignment shop eventually. I'm not ready to part with it yet. I don't think DD will want to wear it (as I didnot want to wear my mother's either).

Tondi G
12-01-2009, 12:33 PM
mine is hanging in the back of the closet. I never got it cleaned but I should have, life just got busy. what can I do now. I still have it and if I have the opportunity to pass it on and let someone rebuild it to their liking I would to my sister or niece or best friend.

Puddy73
12-01-2009, 12:34 PM

Ditto. I doubt DDs will want it. It already looks dated- way too much pearl beading!

mecawa
12-01-2009, 12:38 PM
I had it dry cleaned and preserved.

AnnieW625
12-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Mine is still hanging in my parents closet. I never got it cleaned, I really should though. I liked my dress and it's pretty classic in style so I plan on keeping it for DD.

mommyapb
12-01-2009, 12:42 PM
My dress is preserved & boxed. My mom took her dress to Goodwill after they moved this summer. She really regrets doing it. FOr about 2 months she called the store weekly & even stopped in an effort to locate the dress to get it back, but no luck. I would say hold on to it.

I hate clutter & regularly clean out closets, drawers, etc. but this is one item I can never see myself parting with. JMO

HTH
Amelia
DD 3/06
DS 3/09

pastrygirl
12-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Donated. I'm terribly unsentimental sometimes LOL.

pinkmomagain
12-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Mine is boxed, preserved and sitting my closet. A couple of years after I got married my dh's friend's sister hinted at borrowing my dress...offered to represerve it after she was done with it, but I refused her. Maybe one of my dds will want to wear it, if not, that's ok. I just can't part with it.

babybunny
12-01-2009, 02:28 PM
After my wedding I had mine cleaned. Then my sister tried it on and wore it for her wedding. Then she returned it uncleaned, a mess, rolled up in a ball in a bag. She had dragged the hem through the streets of NYC (walking several blocks without lifting up the dress). Ugh. Obviously unsentimental to her. My husband wanted me to have it cleaned and hand her the bill. I'm not sure if it could be cleaned, what I would do with it, etc. I really didn't have a problem with her wearing the dress. I just had a problem with her disrespecting the dress. My dress.

Maybe I should cut it down for a 1st Holy Communion dress for my niece or something like that....(not my sister's kid).

lez
12-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Hanging in airing cupboard because it is too long and big to be stored in my wardrobe.

g-mama
12-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Returned it to the bridal shop from where I had borrowed it! Mine was a rental and cost $150. And, I loved it then and still do now.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-01-2009, 02:48 PM

Me, too. Mine was in the pacific ocean on the bottom....Cool pics.

jgenie
12-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Mine is boxed and preserved under my Mom's bed. Luckily she isn't one to declutter so it will probably stay there for quite some time. :)

jent
12-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Donated to the Making Memories foundation. What spurred me to be unsentimental is that my mom saved her wedding dress, and after all those years it was (a) yellowed and (b) not a style that I was interested in. I couldn't see the point of saving mine to meet the same fate. Better to be wistful over the pictures.

Momof3Labs
12-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Never had mine cleaned, but did buy an acid-free box and tissue paper to store it in. It's on a high shelf in the basement. I haven't looked at it since I boxed it up so I'm not sure of the condition.

crl
12-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Mine is stored at my parents place. My mom has hers too. It was worn again, by a cousin of hers. I tried it on, but she had a winter wedding and I had a spring wedding and I'm 4 inches taller so it didn't really work--fit otherwise though.

Catherine

lizzywednesday
12-01-2009, 03:09 PM
I sent it away to be cleaned, using a service and discount code from TheKnot. They sent a mailing box and shipping label to me to box the dress up in and then sent it back once it had been cleaned. I figured I was too lazy to travel to/from a dry-cleaners to ensure I didn't leave it there ... and I paid for my dress & veil myself, so it was pretty important to me to make sure I knew that I'd get it back.

It is now in an archival box in my in-laws' guest bedroom.

Honestly, I may consider having it re-done locally as a kind of gift to myself for my 5th anniversary because I'm not 100% in love with the boxing job from the mail-away service, but at least it's been cleaned.

I am dreadfully sentimental about a lot of things. I don't much care if I ever have a daughter who'd wear my dress, but maybe my sister would want it if she gets married anytime soon. She'd likely have to have it taken in, but it would certainly look very pretty on her!

Melarina
12-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Wedding #1: Poufy, huge, embellished dress with big old puffy sleeves and a super full skirt and a loooong train. Gorgeous but way over the top -- but I was 22 when we got married and for me at that time not so smart in my choices...which explains why that marriage lasted less than three years...

The dress? Boxed and stored in the correct way for big bucks and ended up donating it (after a hilarious unveiling when my mother, brother, and I unboxed it and my funny little bro -- all 6'3" of him -- put on the dress and cracked us up) This was prior to:

Wedding #2: Much more classic dress, empire A-line with a slight train and scoop neck and fitted short sleeves -- just a little embroidery around the bodice. Love, love this dress which I purchased on clearance for less than $300. We were married three years ago and the dress is still hanging after being dry cleaned with just plastic over it in my parents' upstairs storage room. I really need to do something with this dress to store it better, as this one someone might actually wear someday.

Fairy
12-01-2009, 03:12 PM
The typical dry clean, proper archival in a box, obligatorily sitting on the closet shelf. I will never ever sell it. I will also never ever have a daughter. But I might have a granddaughter. And even if I don't ... it's mine. I want it. So, I'm keepin' it :-)

MontrealMum
12-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Dry cleaned, properly boxed and stored, and in a closet at my mom's house. I don't know if anyone will ever wear it again since I also only have a son, but I just could not bring myself to part with it.

I did not have the option of wearing my mom's (it would have fit me) because she did not clean/store it and it literally fell apart. She was always kind of sad about that because it was actually more of a party dress (knee length, not completely white) than an actual wedding dress and I might have gotten some wear out of it.

daisymommy
12-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Oh! I wish I had my turned into a Blessing Dress too! What a wonderful idea! Mine is hanging in a preservation bag in the basement (really bad, I know). I'm afraid to open it up and see that it's probably yellowed and not looking too great. But there are such beautiful memories attached to it, that I can't let it go 13 yrs. later!

codex57
12-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Professionally preserved in one of those archival boxes. Now sitting in DW's closet (our master has two closets). DW has thought about selling it. Can prolly still get $1-2K for it we're guessing. Highly doubt we'd ever open the box otherwise. Just can't see DD wearing it 20 yrs later or whatever.

cvanbrunt
12-01-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm totally unsentimental as well. It's cleaned, boxed, and sitting in the attic. Are there places that would take the thing? I haven't looked at it since I took it off in 1995.....

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Professionally preserved in one of those archival boxes. Now sitting in DW's closet (our master has two closets). DW has thought about selling it. Can prolly still get $1-2K for it we're guessing. Highly doubt we'd ever open the box otherwise. Just can't see DD wearing it 20 yrs later or whatever.

Codex in a dress?????????:ROTFLMAO:

Sorry, I couldn't resist!:wink2:

codex57
12-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Codex in a dress?????????:ROTFLMAO:

Sorry, I couldn't resist!:wink2:

Actually, I still have my prom date's dress. Seniors had to do a talent show and a bunch of us did a whole number in drag. Sadly, I wore the same size dress as my then g/f. Bright red slinky number. So yeah, I'm used to my friends looking at me and laughing unexpectedly cuz I know they're picturing me in that dress. I'm used to it. :D

GaPeach_in_Ca
12-01-2009, 05:37 PM
I have mine boxed up and under the bed in our guest room. I would like to put it on every now and then and wear it around the house, but I'm don't think it would fit. :) My rib cage is larger around since having children. I may try it on in a year or two.

I love my dress and wouldn't want to sell it or give it away at this point.

TonFirst
12-01-2009, 05:40 PM
My dress was boxed up in a closet at my grandmother's house in New Orleans... until August 29, 2005. When my sweet father went into the city to start clearing out my grandmother's flooded house, he spread my dress and veil out on the grass to dry. The dress made its way to my house where it sat in the garage for a few years, stuffed in a garbage bag. A few months ago, I took the dress to a tailor to have it taken apart, and the I took the fabric panels from the skirt (it was a full ball gown with a cathedral-length train) to a hand-cleaner in Atlanta to be cleaned. The fabric is a silk satin and actually cleaned up really well, so now I have yards and yards of gorgeous fabric from my wedding dress in a (second-floor) closet in my house.

I plan on using a few yards to have a First Communion dress made for my daughter (would that be creepy?) and the rest I'll save until she decides whether she wants to use the fabric for her wedding dress. I had always intended for her to wear *my* First Communion dress, but it was in the same closet as my wedding dress and as it wasn't packed away like my wedding dress was, the water turned it completely black. And letting her wear that dress would definitely be creepy!

Octobermommy
12-01-2009, 06:08 PM
In a box after being preserved. I wouldn't do it again though and come to think of it , where is it? Hmmm...

DebbieJ
12-01-2009, 07:30 PM
I had it preserved and boxed up. Then after moving the big box for what felt like the millionth time (I am on my 7th address being married), I donated it to a breast cancer charity.

http://bridesagainstbreastcancer.org/#donategown

Carrots
12-01-2009, 07:38 PM
It's dry-cleaned and stored in an archival box on the top shelf of my closet. I loved it so much when I found it and probably spent too much. I'm keeping it. :D

This is me too. I loved my dress and could never part with it.

hellokitty
12-01-2009, 10:43 PM
I had mine preserved, along with the veil, bouquet, shoes (the shoes were my favorite, they had these tiny little flowers on it, they were adorable) and purse preserved in the same box. I know that nobody will wear it again. It's a pretty dress, but not an expensive designer gown (my gown is an Eden), and while it didn't have the poofy sleeves, it's not as simplistic looking as the styles in the past 10 yrs. DH and I had planned to make my gown into a baptismal gown for our children, but that never happened and we aren't really religious now anyway. Maybe I'll make something special for my grandchildren with it some day. I have all boys, so no dd's to share any of my wedding things with anyway. I'm not normally a very sentimental person, but my wedding gown (and wedding photo album, which apparantly also is VASTLY different from present day albums, b/c I got married before digital cameras came out) are something that I really treasure.

zag95
12-02-2009, 01:43 AM
Gosh- I am coming up on my 10th anniversary next July, and have yet to have my dress drycleaned (Maybe I should do it!!!) It is a pretty dress- and maybe DD could make something of it into her own dress. I also have the veil and the headpiece (and the shoes somewhere!)

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-02-2009, 02:14 AM
Actually, I still have my prom date's dress. Seniors had to do a talent show and a bunch of us did a whole number in drag. Sadly, I wore the same size dress as my then g/f. Bright red slinky number. So yeah, I'm used to my friends looking at me and laughing unexpectedly cuz I know they're picturing me in that dress. I'm used to it. :D

My husband and I both went to El Camino High in South San Fran and his friends (not him) did a talent show in drag/The Village People attire. We have it on DVD, they got suspended. :hysterical:

L'sMommy
12-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Mine was dry cleaned and is now folded up in a sheet sitting in my closet.