PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for family member at hospital a lot

niccig
12-01-2009, 12:32 AM
My aunt's birthday is coming up, and she's at the hospital most days with my cousin. I want to send some things for her birthday - I don't usually send her a present, but I want to do something I suppose. My mum said that she's rented an apartment near the hospital, and then she spends the weekends with my parents.

I thought I could put in some books, crossword puzzles, she listens to music but I'm not sure if she has an iPod (I'll ask my sister) or I can put some CDs in ....kinda coming up blank with what to include or what to give. I have to send it to Australia.

Thanks.

wellyes
12-01-2009, 08:43 AM
So she is not the one who's ill, just the caretaker? I think that's really thoughtful of you to send her a gift. I think you're ideas are great. Maybe an audiobook too... if she doesn't have an ipod, maybe one of those digital audiobooks that come with headphones.

alien_host
12-01-2009, 08:56 AM
What a nice idea. How about a little tote bag with some reading materials (mags, books) and some gift cards to places that might be near the hospital like Starbucks so she can step out and get a coffee? Assuming that she is the caregiver...whoops you have to send it overseas....which might make the gift card thing harder.

You could add some crosswords like you mentioned, a pen, a notebook to take notes (when the doctor comes). Does she knit/crochet or anything like that? You could give a project book and yarn.

I used one of the $8 totebags with the pockets from Garnet Hill for a friend that is going through chemo and stuffed it with fun things.

egoldber
12-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Is she involved in his care or there to be with him? If she is involved in his care, I would send healthy snacks and food she can grab quickly. Or a gas card (if that's possible) may be appreciated. If she has a lot of downtime at the bedside, then books (nothing too heavy that requires a lot of concentration), magazines, light puzzles, etc. Books on tape (again nothing too heavy) would probably be appreciated.

Does she have any hobbies like knitting or needlework? Maybe even a small learn to knit kit could be something new and interesting for her to do. They have little kits at Michaels and places like that.

dogmom
12-01-2009, 10:08 AM
I would send money. Spending time in the hospital is awful expensive. Between food, parking, etc. If you think money is not an issue, I think taking the time to write a letter saying how much you are thinking of her and your cousin. Then make a commitment to keep writing her. (Is this the cousin that was in a accident? If so his recover will be long, at least a year with a brain injury.) People will forget her after the holidays.

tamie
12-01-2009, 10:10 AM
what about a sweater of a small blanket? Hospitals can be chilly.

sste
12-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Could you go in with some other relatives and buy a kindle or a refurbished netbook? There is alot of "hurry up and wait" at a hospital.

I also really like the idea of money for parking.

niccig
12-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I like the idea of the tote bag and fill it with different things. My sister is back at home for the holidays, so I'll ask her about giftcards, my aunt's hobbies, other things she could use.

My cousin is still in a coma, and we won't know the degree of brain damage until he wakes up. My aunt is a teacher and she's been able to take 12 weeks leave, so she's now living by the hospital during the week and then driving to her house/my parents for the weekends. We don't know if my cousin will be going into rehab or into a nursing facility. I want something for her to have to do now while she's still waiting to see what the outcome is - it's awful to have to sit and wait and see if he'll wake up.

hellokitty
12-01-2009, 07:04 PM
OMG, I'm so sorry about your cousin. My brother was in an accident and was in a coma last yr. It was an extremely stressful time and we are lucky that his recovery has gone better than originally anticipated, although he has issues that will never be completely resolved d/t the accident. Is there any way you get her a pre-paid parking pass (if they charge for parking) or cafeteria meal tickets/GC from the hospital? When my brother was in a coma, we did not want to leave the hospital, in case his status changed, we wanted to be nearby, so we stayed at the hospital for as long as possible. Another idea is to try to get her a comfortable travel pillow, b/c she is probably getting sick of sleeping in a chair. It's so nice of you to do something, and just letting her know that she and your cousin are in your thoughts will help her to know that you are there for support. There is really not much else that you can do. Family members kept asking what they could do for us and really the only thing they could do was to hope/pray for my brother.