PDA

View Full Version : What month did you get married?

alien_host
12-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Just curious....just posted a poll but it only allows 10 so I had to double up....

we have 2 anniversaries coming up in December, which to me seems like an unusual month to get married in due to the weather here and the holidays.

Melaine
12-01-2009, 08:45 AM
June. It just worked out that way, I didn't have a particular affinity for the month of June.

billysmommy
12-01-2009, 08:48 AM
April 15th for us :)

alien_host
12-01-2009, 08:50 AM
April 15th for us :)

Tax Day - I hope you either filed for an extension or got it done early ;)

JBaxter
12-01-2009, 08:53 AM
November 2nd.... If you ask WHY... Because Fresno State did not have a home football game that day and all DH's friends could attend. We live in Maryland and DH wanted to get married on his grandparents ranch. We had to pick a non football weekend before the "rainy" season hit in Fresno.

mecawa
12-01-2009, 08:58 AM
June, we wanted warm but not hot weather, we ended up with EXTREMELY hot humid tropical type weather, which is a little unusual for early June in New England.

klwa
12-01-2009, 09:03 AM
June. Wanted July (the month we started dating), but the pastor who married us got married himself on the date we were looking at in July, so we moved ours up a month. :)

KHF
12-01-2009, 09:06 AM
So far, I'm the one person in your poll that got married in December. December 6th is our anniversary. We did it then because I've always loved the Christmas season and wanted to have Christmas trees, holiday decorations and some Christmas music at my wedding. We had it in early December to avoid the Christmas holiday activities.

We had an Irish band play the ceremony music and for some of the reception. My mom sang "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" during the ceremony and we had several trees in the sanctuary and in the reception hall. Lots of lights and white tulle. All in all, it was exactly what I wanted.

wellyes
12-01-2009, 09:07 AM
April 'cause that's the off-season in Jamaica (we got married there).

KrisM
12-01-2009, 09:10 AM
February in Michigan.

We didn't want a long engagement (engaged in June). But, my SIL was pregnant and due in Nov, so we needed to work around that. We would have done March, but that was Lent and we're Catholic and you can't get married during Lent. So, we picked the last Saturday before Lent.

Surprisingly, it was 55 deg that day!

sunshine873
12-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Another December bride here! In Wisconsin, nonetheless! :) We originally planned for May, but just didn't want to wait that long. Dec 30th was between school semesters. It really worked out well. As a bonus, we didn't have to spend much to decorate the church - it was beautiful with all of the trees, lights, and pointsettias for Christmas.

We usually end up deciding to skip anniversary gifts (unless it's a milestone,) but we always try to go out that night - just us. It's a wonderful re-connection amid all the hustle and bustle of the holidays.

lchang25000
12-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Nov. 11, about a year since our engagement. Had perfect fall weather in LA!!

MoJo
12-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Mid-May here, mostly because we wanted to wait until DH graduated from college earlier that month and we needed to schedule between quarters for my sister to be able to travel from Arizona.

We had beautiful weather for our outdoor wedding at a gazebo in a city park in Illinois, and we were able to get our honeymoon on the Outer Banks for a lot less because we were there the week BEFORE Memorial Day.

I already have Christmas and my birthday in December, and wouldn't have wanted my anniversary then too.

I have good friends who were married on the 19th of December, and her birthday is actually in December too. Their wedding pictures are beautiful, and I really love Christmas, but that just wasn't for me.

truly scrumptious
12-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Oct 14th - a beautiful New England fall wedding - we got married at a historical estate and the foliage was absolutely breathtaking. Sigh. :love5:

elliput
12-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Middle of January in Montana. We had a really nice snowstorm the day before which provided about 6 inches of snow. Both the ceremony and reception where at the same site, so there was no travelling between events.

pb&j
12-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Mid-May, because we eloped to Sedona, AZ and we love springtime in the desert.

tamie
12-01-2009, 10:09 AM
We got married on New Year's Eve 2001. After 9/11 we decided that we didn't want to wait til spring or summer of 2002. All our family could be in town- so we went for it. It was DH's idea. He always thought it was cool and romantic that my grandparents eloped on New Year's Eve.

scrooks
12-01-2009, 10:11 AM
October 15th....Sweetest Day, although that was not the intention when we picked the date! We lucked out, a sunny 60 degree day in October in northern Ohio. At that time of year we could have had snow!

pb&j
12-01-2009, 10:21 AM
DH is a wedding photographer and his busiest months are usually June, September, and October (fall foliage peaks here in late Oct/early Nov). He usually books a couple of weddings around Xmas/New Years. His slowest months are typically November, Jan, and Feb. We don't get much snow here, so winter weddings aren't very pretty, unless you're in to bare trees, brown grass, and no daylight.

We consider "wedding season" to be late March through early November.

Reyadawnbringer
12-01-2009, 10:35 AM
October 20th here. We really wanted a December wedding, but settled for October instead since it would be too tricky with all the fmaily and holidays in December. Not much happens in our family around October... that is until we got pregnant. DS was induced on our 1 year anniversary and was born the next day (Oct. 21st.)- ahh fun times that was!

ThreeofUs
12-01-2009, 10:50 AM
We HAD to get married in December, or wait (for a variety of academic and research reasons) for at least 2 years. Wasn't going to happen!

That said, I got married from Annapolis, my home town, not from Chicago, where I was in grad school!

Moneypenny
12-01-2009, 10:50 AM
We got married in February and it was beautiful. We had a light dusting of snow the night before so everything was clean and sparkly. We spent our wedding night at a B&B and it was so nice to check in, have a nice hot soak in the big old fashioned tub, and cuddle in front of the fire place.

mama2g03
12-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Another October wedding here. I love autumn. We got married outside in St. Louis and lucked out with a beautiful day. October is now a busy month for us because DD and DS have birthdays 3 days on either side of our anniversary. DH now just takes off that week from work to celebrate everything. And my parents always come in town for the DCs birthdays so we have a babysitter for our anniversary.

Fairy
12-01-2009, 10:59 AM
We got married December 6th cuz that was our anniversary anyway, he asked me to marry him on June 2nd, and a couple days later we're looking at dates, and he said, whoa, December 6th is a Saturday this year. But I had six months to plan it. He said can it be done? And I said, well ... let's try. And we did. Four years to the day of our first date.

BabyMine
12-01-2009, 11:00 AM
We eloped on May 2nd. This is was the date when we first started dating.

Twoboos
12-01-2009, 11:02 AM
June b/c I wanted it to be a nice time of year, a fun weekend destination wedding on Cape Cod.

Unfortunately, it rained biblical proportions - as in, major highways were closed, our limo had water seeping in the doors as we drove through lake-size puddles, the reception almost lost power, and many guests were soaked from the waist down, as no umbrella could save them. Rain, thunder, lightening, the whole bit. It would have been a hurricane but the winds weren't high enough. I remember watching the weather that morning and crying.

I asked our priest (family friend), "Is God trying to tell us something??" And he smiled and answered, "It just means He noticed!"

MaiseyDog
12-01-2009, 11:13 AM
We got married July 7th in Mississippi. It was hot as hades, but I had finished my residency June 30th and we were moving and starting new jobs so it was the only time that worked. Thanksfully my photographer was fast and was able to get all the outdoor pictures we wanted (the church is beautiful) before anyone melted. My favorite picture of the day was actually a casual one of me and DH talking in the nave of the church- I'm standing against the wall and he's leaning up against it- what you can't see is that I'm stanging over an AC vent cooling off. the air puffed up the bottom of my dress perfectly.

ilfaith
12-01-2009, 11:13 AM
We were married in July...in the middle of what we call "celebration season" Every one of our families' birthdays and anniversaries fall between late-April (DH's birthday) and September 1 (my parents' anniversary). April is DH's birthday. May is my dad's birthday as well as the birthday of both DH's parents. Two of my sons were born in June. In addition to our wedding anniversary, my in-laws anniversary, my birthday and the birthdays of both my brother and DH's brother and sister are in July. My mom and one of my sons were born in August, and my parents were married the first of September. After that, we're done until April rolls around again.

HIU8
12-01-2009, 11:30 AM
September--Indian summer here, so not to hot and not yet cold. Perfect weather.

elizabethkott
12-01-2009, 01:12 PM
We got married October 30th. My birthday is October 25th, so every year, I get a Happy Birthannaween! :D

AnnieW625
12-01-2009, 01:49 PM
We first thought of March too, but in 2003 it was lent and our Catholic parrish didn't marry during lent either (some do as my ILs were married on St. Patricks Day, I think and in the Catholic church so it was during lent). We ended up choosing February 8th because it gave me the most time off without having to use too much vacation (there were two holidays stuck in there!). I was able to take 2/1/2 weeks off, but only use 10 days of vacation. Also since it's a week before Valentine's Day we celebrate with dinner out on our anniversary, and have a simple Valentines dinner at home. We chose late winter because I hate hot weather in Northern California and I wanted everyone to be comfortable. We got married in our hometown of Woodland, CA, which is outside of Sacramento.

veronica
12-01-2009, 02:16 PM
June for us. We live in a Summer Resort town so it was nice but we chose the time since DH was teaching HS then and could not take off during the year!

wencit
12-01-2009, 02:34 PM
We got married in July. I had a couple good friends who were in medical or graduate school at the time, and I wanted them to be able to attend. July in Northern California can be super hot, especially in the area where we got married, but we lucked out and had an unusually cool spell that week, so the weather was absolutely perfect.

lez
12-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Got married in June :)

lizzywednesday
12-01-2009, 02:50 PM
May 5th here, in NJ, at my alma mater (Rutgers University) ... in the chapel where my SIL wanted to get married (Voorhees Chapel), but it was having some major renovations when she married my BIL.

We considered October at my in-laws' place out in AZ, but it was really important to me to have all 3 of my surviving grandparents present at my wedding. (As it was, my mom's parents ended up "stuck in traffic" ... which could very well be true with the way Grandma drives and the fact that Chaka Khan was in town for a free concert ... but DH insists it's because the ceremony wasn't in a Catholic church. No, I am not making any of that up.)

crl
12-01-2009, 03:04 PM
We got married in May because that's when we were sure DH could make it--d*mn Marine Corps. My parents got married in December, not sure why.

Catherine

lizzywednesday
12-01-2009, 03:15 PM
We got married in May because that's when we were sure DH could make it--d*mn Marine Corps. My parents got married in December, not sure why.

Catherine

My ILs were married in December as well; their photos were adorable with the church still decorated for Christmas and all the attendants in Christmas colors.

mommylamb
12-01-2009, 03:42 PM
We got married at the end of November because DH isn't a citizen and we needed to get married within 90 days of him comming into the country on his fiance visa in order for him to apply for his green card.

MontrealMum
12-01-2009, 04:16 PM
We got married in June in my hometown in MI. I *think* the reasoning behind that was to avoid dealing with the academic year, but it's all a blur now! I was in grad. school, my parents were both still teaching, and so many of our guests were/are teachers/professors so that was a big issue. I do remember that I delivered my 1st academic paper 3 weeks before the wedding, also in MI, so I got some of my travel expenses paid for ;) I know we didn't want to be as late as July or early Aug. because summer humidity in MI is horrific!

DietCokeLover
12-01-2009, 04:17 PM
July 5th.... one year and one day from the day we first saw each other. (Also the only day we could get the church!)

codex57
12-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Oct. 30. Apparently, there's some book (I think it's Bhuddist?) that tells you which days are lucky/unlucky for certain events. It was the first decent Saturday in a block of like 2 or 3 months. We got married in LA so weather didn't really matter. We liked it cuz it was right between our birthdays.

Cam&Clay
12-01-2009, 06:09 PM
June 18th here, not because we liked June, though. We got back together 19 years after we started dating. When we decided to get married, we picked June 18, twenty years to the day from our first date in high school.

We found the right person, but we were too young and stupid to realize it until many, many years later!

trentsmom
12-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Nov. 11, about a year since our engagement. Had perfect fall weather in LA!!

We have the same anniversary!

DH is hot-natured, so we picked a cooler month because he didn't want to be sweaty. We also wanted a holiday weekend so that more relatives would be able to come.

Carrots
12-01-2009, 07:20 PM
We got married on September 18th, 2004. I originally wanted a June wedding, but my mom convinced me that September would be better weather. Turns out the tail end of hurricane Ivan rolled through MA just in time for my wedding day. Fortunately, the rain ended in time for my dad and I to walk into the church.

DH and I threw on the dress and tux the next day and took the pictures that we never got to take the day before..... so I got to wear my dress twice!

rlu
12-01-2009, 08:50 PM
The hottest day in Aug that year. There was a four-state brown-out right after we left our reception. Although we got out of SJC (generator back-up), our connector in Salt Lake was delayed. We were an hour late getting into the New Orleans airport which had already shut down. The custodial staff looked disgruntled as our planeload of people trudged across the floor they had just waxed.

eta: one of my former bosses got married on Christmas day. She didn't want her husband to have any excuses for forgetting their wedding date.

almostamom
12-01-2009, 09:14 PM
We got married in November. It's a beautiful month weather-wise for Phoenix. We also chose the Saturday before Thanksgiving because I was teaching and would only have to take off and plan for a sub for three days even though we were gone for a week.

Linda

JMS
12-01-2009, 09:18 PM
I got married on 12/1 in NJ. It was a record high of 71 degrees that day and I can't tell you the stress I endured searching for the perfect cape to wear over my gown :)

4Cats
12-01-2009, 09:32 PM
December 30, 2000 in a brisk snow in Cleveland! Really no choice fitting it in during time off school, but it made our Honeymoon in the Caribbean all the more welcome!

Kristin

hellokitty
12-01-2009, 10:21 PM
I was married in June, but if I could do it over again, I'd get married in October when the leaves change... it's so pretty!