PDA

View Full Version : first kid's bike

newbiemom
12-01-2009, 12:48 PM
What was your DC's first bike? Do you think it's important to buy a good quality one or not bother and just get a cheaper one? (And yes, I'm looking at garage sales, craigslist, etc) But this is for a Christmas present, so in case timing doesn't work, I'm curious about what I should look for at a real store.
FWIW, my kid is quite short, and unlikely to grow out of this first bike (16") for a long time.
Just wanting to gather some thoughts and opinions...Thanks!

AnnieW625
12-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Elisa got a small Fisher Price with permanently attached training wheels for her second birthday. She is now 3/1/2 and really interested in it. We will most likely get her a 16" bike like this one for her 4th birthday, (http://jaxbicycles.com/product/electra-girls-hawaii-16-inch-41430-1.htm) and then once she outgrows this one then she'll get my bright red w/white and yellow daisy Schwinn (complete with a Banana seat!) around the time she is 6 or 7.

I'll most likely look on Craigslist too, but I won't be too bummed if we end up having to pay full retail from our local bike shop.

bluestar2
12-01-2009, 01:15 PM
In the future, I will invest in a bike from a bike shop, but don't feel it is necessary quite yet.

o_mom
12-01-2009, 01:21 PM
We did a balance bike (an inexpensive one) and then hand-me-down/garage sale ones that were TRU quality for the 12 and 14 in sizes. Once they were on a 16", we found Trek Jets on CL. The smaller sizes were outgrown much quicker and at that age they weren't riding more than around our house or neighborhood so it wasn't as big of a deal. When they moved to a 16" (4-5 yrs) they were big enough to ride on longer rides anyway so we wanted something a little better.