PDA

View Full Version : Reviewer and Blogger Disclosure

truly scrumptious
12-01-2009, 01:54 PM
An interesting article on new guidelines requiring bloggers/reviewers to disclose when they receive free products/payments from manufacturers for reviews. Especially interesting that they feel parenting blogs are among the top viewed (and therefore targeted by companies). I know a lot of us here rely on reviewing sites for feedback on various products.

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2009/12/01/were_bloggers____we_get_stuff_for_free/

wellyes
12-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Whenever I read a parent blog gushing about something I assume it's a freebie. Maybe I'm wrong but I assume a good portion of the reason people HAVE parent blogs is to get free stuff.

vonfirmath
12-01-2009, 04:30 PM
I am most disappointed to so rarely see any negatives about a toy. They make the reviews more valuable.

When I see a person go through ~$500 of toy reviews in one week, all of which is dearly loved and adored by their kids, I get skeptical. "If you had to pay for all those toys, would you like them as much? Yes, they are fun, but are they really $80 of fun? Are you sure this is not the "new gift" glow--my kid likes ANYTHING for the first day or two it seems!

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-01-2009, 04:41 PM
I know I personally am waiting for someone to require that those beautiful 40 plus actress/models to disclose in their commercials that they are *not* really getting that face from L'Oreal Hydroplus-placenta lift and firm serum!

AnnieW625
12-01-2009, 05:11 PM
I am really trying to start a mom blog for working moms where I have bought the products in question or what I am going to review and not gotten kick backs for it. I honestly just want to be able to connect with other working moms like myself and share products I find usefull.

I don't care for makeup blogs (another passion of mine), and most baby/parenting blogs because these people are being paid to write on a blog about free products they have been given. A friend from a message board that I know IRL has started a makeup blog and I don't read it much because I don't feel it's really an honest opinion since she has been given stuff for free.

I much prefer message boards and retailer sites like, BRUS, Amazon.com, Sears, etc. for reviews because I feel that the reviews are more genuine. You do get your I am going to automatically give the product five stars because it's cute, and on the end of the spectrum the mom who hates the car seat or stroller now because it's last month's old news or doesn't get the install, but there is a board spectrum of 3 and 4 star (and even 5 star) reviews that are good on retailer sites.

truly scrumptious
12-01-2009, 05:36 PM
there is a board spectrum of 3 and 4 star (and even 5 star) reviews that are good on retailer sites.

I have to agree. I usually discount most 5 star and 1 star reviews (especially if they are raving or ranting) and just look for themes (did most people complain that it was noisy/broke too soon, etc.) but the most valuable info is usually on the 2, 3, and 4 star reviews.

Melaine
12-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Whenever I read a parent blog gushing about something I assume it's a freebie. Maybe I'm wrong but I assume a good portion of the reason people HAVE parent blogs is to get free stuff.

Yeah, I assume that too. Only, the truth is that when I bother to blog (not much recently) I HAVE blogged about products I like just for the sake of sharing the info. I've done it mostly for products I love like Babylegs, the Learning Tower, Tripp Trapp, and Amber Necklaces. Never received any products from those guys.

vonfirmath
12-02-2009, 12:00 AM
The problem with product reviews on websites is that you know nothing about the reviewer and whether they have similar tastes to you/what their kid likes/etc. I find there is the occasional gem of a review, but most are not useful