PDA

View Full Version : How to discuss flexible work hours

niccig
12-01-2009, 03:14 PM
I am getting ahead of myself here. There is a job opportunity that I may have a chance of getting. It's full-time. Ideally I want something with flexibility - maybe work reduced hours or work 6am-2pm, some time work at home.

How do you discuss flexible work hours? I know not in the interview.

I do have one contact there that is highly placed, but not in the department for this position and not on the hiring committee. I plan to ask her about the family friendliness - she is high up in management though, so what she can do and what someone at this position could do, might be different.

For those that are interested, I've posted about volunteering at a museum for years, and I would be interested in working there. They've been without a librarian for a few years, and their library is very out-dated. No computers! My contact has spoken with me at times about the position and that I could use it as jumping board to other positions within the museum. She feels that their library service was very antiquated and that you wouldn't have to do much to impress management. It also appeals to me as it would be a challenge to bring it up to modern standards, and you would largely be your own boss. No one else there knows anything about libraries, and even though the position reports to someone, you would have a lot of freedom in the day to day activities.

pinkmomagain
12-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Well, since they have been without a librarian for a few years, perhaps they would be open to some flexibility! I would definitely try to get a feel from your friend about how open they might be.

I would take the interview as an opportunity to discuss your background and enthusiasm for the role. I don't think I would bring up questions about flexibility until subsequent conversations....unless they for some reason allude to it.

If the interviewing process continues past the first one, I would bring it up perhaps when they ask if you have any questions, or if the position sounds like something you would want.

Good Luck! It sounds like a great position!

MoJo
12-01-2009, 03:24 PM
I don't have any experience in asking for flex time until after you've proven yourself.

However, this sounds like an ideal position for them to allow you to be flexible, if they are at all oriented that way:
1) They aren't used to having anyone there during set hours, or even for a set number of hours
2) It sounds like the type of work that could easily be done during "odd" hours or from home

I didn't have EITHER of those things in my favor when I asked for and got flex time, so I think you can do this!

sste
12-01-2009, 04:17 PM
I think your first step is to think off all the variations of what you would be willing to do. Would you be willing to work full-time for six months for example (get the library up to speed) and then switch to 30 hours per week? Or even more conservatively plan to review your hours with the possiblity of switching to 30 hours per week? It is pretty hard to start a new job and undertake a big project such as a library overhaul on a part-time schedule and the museum will be concerned about that. It might be an easier sell if you say you will work full-time to set up but then you will have it running like a top, automatized etc and you can easily manage it at 30 hours per week which will save the museum money.

Also, try to discreetly find out if the person hiring/supervising you is open to flexible schedules - - often that is more important than whether the business or non-profit as a "whole" is family-friendly.

egoldber
12-01-2009, 04:26 PM
It is pretty hard to start a new job and undertake a big project such as a library overhaul on a part-time schedule

Also, try to discreetly find out if the person hiring/supervising you is open to flexible schedules - - often that is more important than whether the business or non-profit as a "whole" is family-friendly

I agree completely with both these comments. I was thinking to myself as I read your initial post that coming in and putting in a new system might be even MORE than a full-time job!

Personally, if you want to work part time or irregular hours, I would mention that sooner rather than later IF this is conditional to you taking the job. If it's a pre-requisite for you, why waste your time and theirs interviewing for a position that you don't really want? As an employER I would be really annoyed if someone led me to believe they wanted a full time job when they really only wanted part time.

clc053103
12-01-2009, 04:27 PM
My Aunt just told me a story about a job interview where she stated in no uncertain terms that she had a son in K, she would be home with him when he was sick, and would be off every school holiday. It was practically her first line at the interview. She's had that job for 14 years and her boss still tells the story! He actually really respected her honesty.

I agree with discreetly getting the deal on the hiring manager to see if he or she is open to flex schedules before bringing it up- but if you would really only want the job with the flex schedule, you really need to bring it up in the interview process, possibly presenting it in a way that shows it would maximize efficiency and productivity.

bubbaray
12-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Where I work, if you even so much think of flexible work hours in the interview/vetting process (which takes months), you are stricken from the list of eligibles. There *is* a variety of flexible possibilities at my job, but it is verbotten to discuss them during the interview process.

I think my example is extreme, though. I would ask your "in" (even though in management) what the culture is at this place, if flexible is even possible and, if so, when it is considered OK to discuss it.

niccig
12-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks. I did ask the person I know about the family friendliness of the organization. It's govt. funded, and I know she has some flexibility, she is a single mum.

Beth, Sste, yes overhauling the library and implementing entirely new procedures is a huge undertaking. Basically, this library got to a standard in the 1980s and never changed as the librarian didn't implement any changes. My "in" did work on a proposal to update the library's catalog - it would need grant money to hire people or to out source. Going forward isn't too difficult, it's cataloging the 100 year old collection that will take YEARS. You have 2 systems and eventually the card system is included electronically - when I was at UCLA 5 years ago we still had some books that were not fully on the library's electronic catalog. One of the questions if I get an interview is how invested is the organization in updating the library, as it will take time and money to do it. If they're not overly invested, then it won't happen.

I am prepared to work full-time, but I do want to work earlier shift. If that is not possible, then it's not the job for me, and I won't waste anyone's time. I could see reduced hours working in this position once the library is working as it should be, but that will be some time. My "in" said that they know it will take time to make changes.

pb&j
12-01-2009, 08:43 PM
I think I had a verbal offer when I broached a reduced/flex schedule. They had no problem accommodating me. I knew from the get-go that there were possibilities for flex time, work from home, and reduced schedules. It also helped that they knew that the position I was coming from, I had been at 80% time for a while. I basically said I couldn't consider a job that wasn't at least as flexible as my current position.

mamica
12-01-2009, 10:08 PM
An old co-worker of mine didn't raise the issue until the final stage of offer/negotiating terms. If I recall correctly, she did state it as a sort of make-or-break issue - or at least almost at that point - b/c I think if she had said it upfront it would have taken her out of the mix early on. She proved herself through the interview process that she was (and is!) a rock-star...she's always been a great self-promoter, for better or worse ;) And then once they fell in love with her, she dropped the bomb. However, she asked for the flex-time to start after 6 months. So, if she kicked butt and proved her worth when she started the job, she would be given the flex time after the 6-month grace period. And she got it. But she's truly a master at selling herself and negotiating on her behalf. Wish some of that knack had rubbed off on me LOL!