PDA

View Full Version : Holiday card envelopes--Printed, Handwritten, labels?

kayte
12-01-2009, 03:16 PM
I started getting cards today and noticed several people used labels this year....

Just curious what everyone does... I usually handwrite mine but am thinking about running them through the printer this year. (I got a new printer that has lots of settings for printing on envelopes)

lizzywednesday
12-01-2009, 03:21 PM
We do ours on clear labels because (a) DH refuses to write any more than his family & friends [a list, I might add, that is MUCH shorter than mine] and (b) I still complain about the writers' cramp I developed after my bridal shower [yes, I hand-wrote all my thank-you cards with personalized messages to each giver; my MIL's friends were very impressed by the effort. I am thankful they could read my scrawl.]

DH updates it with everybody's new information each November and we split the cost of stamps.

We play with label sizes and fonts to make it more fun, but printing labels ensures we get them out the door!

AnnieW625
12-01-2009, 03:30 PM
For Christmas Cards, (and DD's birth announcements in the past and future) I have been using labels I printed out from the computer for a few years now and I really like it. I usually try to coordinate the font with the one used on the card. I usually just use plain white labels as the envelopes are white, but if I know for sure the envelopes won't be white then I might splurge for the clear labels. For the return address label I have a label stamp that I got from Expressionary.com that I love.

For everything else it's usually hand written addresses and my return address stamp. I am also a stickler about writing my own thank you notes.

For my wedding invites my mom insisted that I had write each address.

MoJo
12-01-2009, 03:30 PM
I voted "handwritten," but I actually do calligraphy. . . and when I was single and bored, I even did calligraphy to address my Christmas cards. Definitely not now!

niccig
12-01-2009, 03:34 PM
I use the computer. No one can read my writing. And if someone judges me for using a computer printed label, then no more Holiday cards for them...isn't it the thought that counts.

hillview
12-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Clear labels. Got a lable writer just for christmas and love it. We send about 120-150 cards a year.
/hillary

Fairy
12-01-2009, 03:43 PM
I take my xmas cards very, very seriously. I get 7 or 8 boxes of cards from BN every year after Xmas for the next year, and hand pick the exact right card for the person I'm sending it to, stick in a photo of DS, I write a personal note in each one, and I hand write each envelope.

Ohmigod, I'm really behind ...

hillview
12-01-2009, 03:49 PM
I take my xmas cards very, very seriously. I get 7 or 8 boxes of cards from BN every year after Xmas for the next year, and hand pick the exact right card for the person I'm sending it to, stick in a photo of DS, I write a personal note in each one, and I hand write each envelope.

Between this and the gift spreadsheet could I hire you? :) Seriously somewhat scary and VERY impressive!! ;)
/hillary

alien_host
12-01-2009, 03:55 PM
I use a white computer printed Avery label. My handwriting is OK but it would take me forever to address 80+ cards. 99% of the time I have a white envelope.

I sometimes print the font in red, green or blue for fun.

The address label list helps keep me organized and everyone tosses the envelope so I see no point in handwriting them.

SnuggleBuggles
12-01-2009, 03:58 PM
I handwrite them. I am cheap as heck when it comes to printer ink!

Beth

jgenie
12-01-2009, 04:00 PM
I handwrite only because we have a new printer and it would take me too long to figure out how to print the labels on this printer.

Fairy
12-01-2009, 04:11 PM
I handwrite only because we have a new printer and it would take me too long to figure out how to print the labels on this printer.

And that's the thing that kills me, ya buy a new printer than can scan and do color and print end to end, and boil water, but hell if you can figure out how to actually make it WORK, so then you just hand write it and call it a day. How is that helping me? How?! Nevermind ...

Fairy
12-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Between this and the gift spreadsheet could I hire you? :) Seriously somewhat scary and VERY impressive!! ;)
/hillary

And this is why I'm a wreck by January 1st!

clc053103
12-01-2009, 04:24 PM
For Christmas Cards, (and DD's birth announcements in the past and future) I have been using labels I printed out from the computer for a few years now and I really like it. I usually try to coordinate the font with the one used on the card. I usually just use plain white labels as the envelopes are white, but if I know for sure the envelopes won't be white then I might splurge for the clear labels. For the return address label I have a label stamp that I got from Expressionary.com that I love.

For everything else it's usually hand written addresses and my return address stamp. I am also a stickler about writing my own thank you notes.

For my wedding invites my mom insisted that I had write each address.

I agree with your mom!!! I am fine with computer generated labels for Christmas cards- but wedding invitations should be hand written (though I think computer generated fonts directly on the envelope are gaining acceptance), as should thank you notes. I am insulted when I receive computer labeled thank you notes- particularly when it is from a wedding. I have a friend who admitted to printing the labels and writing out the card in advance of the wedding, using generic terms like "generous gift" since she didn't know what they would be getting! Too funny!

lizzywednesday
12-01-2009, 04:24 PM

Do you have Excel and Word? If so, there's nothing to figure out.

Do a mail merge from the Excel sheet to Word; it doesn't depend on the printer (hardware), but on your software and how comfortable you are in using it.

DH showed me how & I used it for the labels for my sister's baby shower ... and passed the Excel to my mother for the labels for my sister's thank you notes so she'd have no excuse but to write them.

MontrealMum
12-01-2009, 04:28 PM
I print them on clear labels and have done so for years. Otherwise, they'd never get done and out on time! I have printed directly on envelopes too (for academic job apps) but it's tricky to do and can waste envelopes as different types tend to get stuck in the #$%@ printer, so I like the clear label system better. We receive a lot of cards either printed directly on, or w/labels.

Our wedding invite envelopes, on the other hand, were entirely handwritten (by my mom). My parents are terrible sticklers for etiquette and insisted on it being done that way. Thank-yous are also handwritten.

g-mama
12-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Always handwritten. It's not that time-consuming for me and adds a personal touch that I like. We send about 125 cards but doing them is one of my favorite parts of the season. Call me crazy.

ThreeofUs
12-01-2009, 05:04 PM
I WAS in the "handwritten only" crowd, but not with 2 kids!

gatorsmom
12-01-2009, 05:15 PM
We send out about 150 Christmas cards every year to old friends, distant relatives, neighbors, coworkers, some friendly clients, etc. Pretty much everyone we know and would like to maintain some contact with. We include an updated photo of our family, sometimes 2 photos (shutterfly lets me put a photo on the inside aas well as the outside of the card). But since that is a lot of cards and would be a ton of work, I print the labels on the computer and the cards are simply printed with "The Smiths" on the inside. It's the only way I can be sure to get them done and into the mail since there are so many. I would like to handwrite a message in everyone's card (and I do in some) but mainly I just hope the recipient likes to see a picture, see that the kids are growing and we all look happy. I try to get the cards done in October to get them done ahead of the holidays and get a good deal from shutterfly.

ETA: i use clear Avery address and return labels.

WatchingThemGrow
12-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Our newish printer keeps eating the Avery labels because of the "new easy-peel" design. After 3 different occasions, I decided to get the return address labels printed at Staples and handwrite the "to" field. It took about 1.5 hours, maybe less to address 120ish. Not a big deal. We used the printed return labels.

Ceepa
12-01-2009, 05:30 PM
I hand write the envelopes and I write personal messages inside the cards.

GaPeach_in_Ca
12-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Always handwritten. It's not that time-consuming for me and adds a personal touch that I like.

Same here! I did 25 envelopes this morning while doing other things. I should have brought them all (I'm at work) and I probably could have finished them off.

I have always written a personal message on the inside, as well, but I'm not sure about this year. I got photo cards for the first time and I'm not sure where to write on them! The back, perhaps?

wellyes
12-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Handwritten.

I don't mind getting a card with a label at all - but I do think that the person who sent it should SIGN it.

cindys
12-01-2009, 05:48 PM
I hand address all 100 of my Christmas cards BUT I use Christmas return address labels..

I used to try to enlist DH's help but he just messes up my system so I have him take the cards to the post office as his contribution..

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...18, 3 & 1 :love-retry::love-retry::love-retry:

JBaxter
12-01-2009, 05:57 PM
We do the computer lables. DH sends out 50 to 75 cards every year. I send like 10.

mamicka
12-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Handwritten address w/ printed ddress labels. We do about 100-150 every year. I'd print address labels too, if I could manage to get all the addresses typed-in.

Fairy
12-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Handwritten.

I don't mind getting a card with a label at all - but I do think that the person who sent it should SIGN it.

What she said.

MommyAllison
12-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Handwritten, though if we had return address labels/stamp for our new address, I'd use them. We ordered 100 cards this year and I hope we don't run out... I actually enjoy addressing envelopes though, since it's only once a year that I do so many at once.

jgenie
12-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Do you have Excel and Word? If so, there's nothing to figure out.

Do a mail merge from the Excel sheet to Word; it doesn't depend on the printer (hardware), but on your software and how comfortable you are in using it.

DH showed me how & I used it for the labels for my sister's baby shower ... and passed the Excel to my mother for the labels for my sister's thank you notes so she'd have no excuse but to write them.

Yes, but I'm on a Mac now and Excel just isn't the same for me as it was on a PC. :banghead: I could do it easily on a PC but not so much on my Mac.

ThreeofUs
12-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Yes, but I'm on a Mac now and Excel just isn't the same for me as it was on a PC. :banghead: I could do it easily on a PC but not so much on my Mac.

I do it on my Mac. Here's how:

Get your data file all ready. Open Word. Click "Labels" in the project gallery. A blank word doc will show up, along with a Labels window. Make sure the label number is correct on the Labels window, changing if necessary.

Then click "Data Merge" (bottom, left corner of labels window). Another word window with "next record" in each virtual label will show up, and off to the side will be the "Data Merge Manager". Click "get data" under the Data Source header - you may have to click the Data Source band to get the menu below to show.

Click "open data source" and then grab the right file. After you have the right file and worksheet selected, and you've hit ok, you'll get an "Edit Labels" window with "Insert Merge Field" and "Insert Postal Bar Code" button/menus in the middle.

I always insert my merge field first, I don't know why, and then click back up at the top to insert the postal bar code. Prolly makes more sense to do it the other way!

Anyway, after you've entered the fields, click ok. Your virtual labels will reflect the changes.

Go back to the "Data Merge Manager" window, and hit the "Merge" button near the bottom. First button under Merge sends the merged doc to the printer immediately (I make too many mistakes to do it this way). Next button sends it to a file. Hit the send to a file and voila', you have your merged labels.

If you're me, you then go back and correct the problems and do it all again! LOL

To do it from a new document with Word already up, go to word help, search on "data merge manager", and click on "Create a new data-merge data source in Word".

HTH and GL!

Reyadawnbringer
12-01-2009, 10:13 PM

Ohmigod, I'm really behind ...

This is what I do... glad to know I am not the only one. I guess I just feel that with all the elctronic forms of communication it is nice to see when someone takes the time to use handwriting.

hellokitty
12-01-2009, 10:20 PM
I've been using labels for Christmas cards, wedding invites, baby announcements, etc. for over 10 yrs. Makes my life easier, my handwriting sucks and frankly I don't really care if anyone gets their panties in a wad that I'm not following proper etiquette. Pre-kiddos, I wrote out very nice handwritten cards (inside). Now that we have kids, I just send photocards and I don't usually write on it or sign them. The only thing I've seen for photocards is ppl putting the year on the back.

inmypjs
12-02-2009, 02:34 PM
I do labels. I use the clear kind, which I think look nice, especially on colored envelopes.

hollybloom24
12-02-2009, 02:50 PM
This year I used a return address stamper by Three Designing Women.

Last year I used return address labels by Felix Doolitle. Not cheap!

In past years I have had the address printed right on the envelope. Next year I think I'll go back to having the envelopes printed.

maestramommy
12-02-2009, 03:24 PM
We handwrite, simply because it's fastest/easiest. We each have our own list of friends and family to do, so we take care of it however we choose. We do have a pretty nice return address stamp that we got as a housewarming gift, so we this is one of the times we use it.