PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep track of Christmas gifts?

bubbaray
12-01-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm getting overwhelmed with keeping track of what I've purchased for particular people this year and in past years. For example, I have 12 (yes, TWELVE) daycare teachers alone to buy for this year, plus 2 ballet teachers, Kindy teacher, etc. You get the point. My brain is full and just keeping track of this sort of thing stresses me out. I generally don't like doing GCs, so keeping track of actual gifts is important (to me, at least).

I did up a spreadsheet in Excel, but is there a better/easier way? I need to track for about 25 people all told for Christmas and about 3-4 people for End of Year gifts (school & ballet only).

elektra
12-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Our current system is an excel spreadsheet on DH's computer, along with any purchases just stuffed on our linen cabinet, along with me thinking all day long about what I still need to get because I can't stare at the spreadsheet.
Sorry, I will be no help on this one because I am in the same boat!
But honestly, if we had just done the spreadsheet in Google docs, that would be all I would need I think.

Fairy
12-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Add me to the spreadsheet group. I have the spreadsheet to end all spreadsheets, and I keep it REALLY organized. Our anniversary and DH's bday is also in December, so I have a tab for that, too. My tabs are:

Gifts
Listing each person grouped by family unit, their gift, price, and then I hide the column for that year when I'm in the next year. So, right now, I've got "Gift 2005" and "Cost 2005" columns, and also 2006 and 2007 and 2008 hidden, but I can reference them so that I know what I spent year to year and what I got so that I don't get any repeats!

DH and DS each have their very own tab.

Xmas Cards
I list the names, addresses, and all contact info for each card that goes out, and I also note if I got a card from them that year. If they never reciprocate ever, then they're likely to go into the next tab (and I also have this going back years with those columns hidden)

Former Xmas Card List
I take the whole row so I have name and all contact info, and I paste it into this tab.

Hanukkah Party
I just made this tab for this year, as DS's annual hanukkah party is becoming, well, annual.

Food
This tells me what I'm serving at Xmas, who's bringing it, and I just blow away whatever was there from the previous year, cuz these are not worth keeping around for me.

Details
This is where I keep all the online purchase information. Vendor name, order number, what I ordered for whom, and when it arrived.

I'm not the most organized girl you'll ever meet, but for this stuff I'm off the chart. It's open at all times from now till after new years.

AnnieW625
12-01-2009, 03:40 PM
I should be more detailed about my gifts but I am not. My mom started keeping a book in 1973 when she got married and it's really neat to look at to see what she gave over the years. I have a pretty good memory so I could probably recount most of that if I went and got a new book though. I did start with a computer spreadsheet one year, but didn't keep up with it.

For Christmas cards I have the names inputted on to labels that I store in my computer.

My address list is pretty much the spread sheet from my wedding in 2003. I change it as soon as I get a new address.

I save all of the emails from online orders in my Gmail until the holiday season is done with.

hillview
12-01-2009, 03:43 PM
I am less technical and use a draft email to keep a list. That said I only have about 12 folks on the list so more managable.
/hillary

Fairy
12-01-2009, 03:45 PM
I am less technical and use a draft email to keep a list. That said I only have about 12 folks on the list so more managable.
/hillary

This is a great way to do things, too. I used to use draft emails alot for keeping track of various things when I used Lotus Notes, and after that I used Tasks in Outlook. Then I moved to OneNote, which is where my life now resides. God help me if the hard drive goes ...

vludmilla
12-01-2009, 03:51 PM
I keep a MS Word table as a template and change it year as needed. I rename the file so I can always go back and see the prior years Christmas purchase lists. I guess you could use excel if you're handy with that.

jgenie
12-01-2009, 03:55 PM
I have a word document but I really like Fairy's excel idea. May convert in my spare time. ;)

SnuggleBuggles
12-01-2009, 04:00 PM
I have a binder where I keep lists (in page protectors). I can then add reciepts to the pages. I can use the binder pockets for storing ideas that I tear out of catalogs. It's worked well for me.

Beth

alien_host
12-01-2009, 04:02 PM
I use excel. Like Fairy I have many tabs ;)

One is gifts for DD, I buy things throughout the year so I try to keep it updated so I know what I have stashed away. I note her birthday gifts too.

Another is gifts given to family/friends This includes stocking stuffers and DH's gifts. I also list the price so I can stay in budget.

Gifts Received, so I can have an idea of who gave what...I try to update this right after the holidays but sometimes I forget.

Christmas card list, I mark who I received cards from in case I want to do a cut for those who don't send cards.

Christmas party invite list along with who came etc.

List of food served at our Christmas party so I can adjust for each year.

Advent calendar activities and treats - so I can remember what I did the following year.

infocrazy
12-01-2009, 04:06 PM
I have an Excel spreadsheet as well that I list the people, ideas, four item spaces, how much I paid, then it totals it and adds tax and compares it to my target.

Yes, I'm an engineer. Yes, it's a little sad, but I've used it for about 6 years now and it works great for me. :)

wellyes
12-01-2009, 04:09 PM
I use todoist.com and make a project called "Christmas Presents", just list of everyone I need to buy for. I put ideas next to the name when inspiration strikes. I like that I can keep it on my ipod touch & reference it when I'm shopping.

When gift is purchased, the name is checked off. I don't keep track of what I got each person or how much I spent on each person and I definitely don't keep track on a year to year basis. I'm usually an organizer but not for presents. I let the spirit of the holidays move me :love-retry: instead.

heatherlynn
12-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Can't remember if you have an iphone, but if you do, check out an app called "Gifts." I love it! You enter a person's name and then you can enter a budget amount. You then enter in each gift w/ a price and it tells you the budget amount remaining. You can also put in a note for each gift. It's pretty simple and I love having it with me all the time!

For cards, I just have a list w/ addresses in Yahoo notes. I also delete anyone who I haven't gotten a card from 2 years in a row which keeps the list manageable. :innocent:

MontrealMum
12-01-2009, 04:22 PM
If I had as many as you, I'd do a spreadsheet too. This year I only have 10 people to buy for, plus 4 daycare people who are all getting the same thing. I just have a handwritten list (color coded - yes, I'm a nut) but otherwise pretty low-tech. I order many things online so if I'm wanting to recall prices or something I can just look up my order/bill there.

vonfirmath
12-01-2009, 04:39 PM
How do you handle getting multiple gifts for one person? (IE cause the gift didn't match budget, or you found something you just HAD to add!)

gatorsmom
12-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Mine is on just a simple Word document. I'm not terribly Excel proficient- I am much better on Word, other wise I think Excel would be the best way of keep track of what you bought for each person every year, how much you spent, order and tracking numbers for internet orders, etc. Currently I just start a new Word document for every new year. I also like to add new ideas I have to it if I think ahead of something someone might like for their birthday or Christmas.

I do have an excel spreadsheet with all our contacts names, addresses, phone numbers, etc. It has over 300 names and addresses on it. I do a mail merge/label document (or whatever it's called) to print off address labels and matching return address labels for our 150 Christmas cards we send every year. This process really makes sending Christmas cards easy. but I dont' send Christmas cards to some of the people I buy gifts for (like cleaning people and DCs' teachers) so I think it's easier keeping the excel address sheet separate from the Word document gift list.

alexsmommy
12-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Mine is on just a simple Word document. I'm not terribly Excel proficient- I am much better on Word, other wise I think Excel would be the best way of keep track of what you bought for each person every year, how much you spent, order and tracking numbers for internet orders, etc. Currently I just start a new Word document for every new year. I also like to add new ideas I have to it if I think ahead of something someone might like for their birthday or Christmas.

This exactly.

MontrealMum
12-01-2009, 05:01 PM
I write the name, leave several inches of blank space, write the next name, several inches of space etc. etc. I leave more space for DS as he gets more gifts than anyone else on the list. When I reach my max $$ for each person, I stop buying gifts.

elektra
12-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Mine is on just a simple Word document. I'm not terribly Excel proficient.

My life would not be complete without excel.
Seriously, you should give it a try for the gift thing, or any list.

Thatchermom
12-01-2009, 06:39 PM
I tried computer lists, but went back to old school after only a year or two. I have a composition notebook that has many years worth of lists. Each year has a number of pages: list of names to purchase for, space for ideas; list of names again with space for items purchased; full single pages for each of my children; to do list page(s). I can carry this with me when I go shopping, I can hand it off to DH if he is going out.

I use these books for several other things (packing lists for trips, etc.) DH calls them my portable brain.

trales
12-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Low tech, I keep a piece of paper taped to the wall of the room with the presents. Otherwise the computer and presents would never see each other.

o_mom
12-01-2009, 06:48 PM
I have a Word file that I list everyone we buy for along with the ages of the kids on the list. It is basically a table with four columns: Name, b-day, xmas and other (I use other for things like Mother's Day, etc.). I just print a new one each year and staple it to the top of the previous year ones. I write stuff in as I get it along with ideas for things, etc. It's getting kind of thick, as it is about 3 pages each year, but I really would never get it updated if I tried to keep it electronically.

TwinFoxes
12-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Can't remember if you have an iphone, but if you do, check out an app called "Gifts." I love it! You enter a person's name and then you can enter a budget amount. You then enter in each gift w/ a price and it tells you the budget amount remaining. You can also put in a note for each gift. It's pretty simple and I love having it with me all the time!

Thanks for this. I knew there was an Ap for that, but there were a lot of choices :confused:

ThreeofUs
12-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Add me to the spreadsheet group. I have the spreadsheet to end all spreadsheets, and I keep it REALLY organized. Our anniversary and DH's bday is also in December, so I have a tab for that, too. My tabs are:

Gifts
Listing each person grouped by family unit, their gift, price, and then I hide the column for that year when I'm in the next year. So, right now, I've got "Gift 2005" and "Cost 2005" columns, and also 2006 and 2007 and 2008 hidden, but I can reference them so that I know what I spent year to year and what I got so that I don't get any repeats!

DH and DS each have their very own tab.

Xmas Cards
I list the names, addresses, and all contact info for each card that goes out, and I also note if I got a card from them that year. If they never reciprocate ever, then they're likely to go into the next tab (and I also have this going back years with those columns hidden)

Former Xmas Card List
I take the whole row so I have name and all contact info, and I paste it into this tab.

Not quite as organized as Hilary, but I have these tabs, with cost and vendor information. I have it for every Christmas since I got married, since I married into a lot more folks than I was used to buying for.

Only way I can stay organized.

I *should* have a tab for birthday parties and what I gave to each person. In fact, I think I'll put that together tonight. It's starting to get crazy.

Wife_and_mommy
12-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Would one of you Excel-proficient ladies mind giving a layman's tutorial on how to do something similar to Fairy's? We recently moved our budget to a similar set up that I am giddy over. I'd love to know how to make our very own for Xmas and other occasions. Right now, I have email drafts and word documents with the info. Doesn't make me giddy. :D

AnnieW625
12-01-2009, 07:16 PM
My life would not be complete without excel.

I am no where near proficient with Excel (IE: don't know codes), but honestly I'd be lost without it too. It's really easy to use once you get the basics down.

SnuggleBuggles
12-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Would one of you Excel-proficient ladies mind giving a layman's tutorial on how to do something similar to Fairy's? We recently moved our budget to a similar set up that I am giddy over. I'd love to know how to make our very own for Xmas and other occasions. Right now, I have email drafts and word documents with the info. Doesn't make me giddy. :D
Ditto. Dh has tried to help me with Excel but it was a long time ago and I didn't catch on.

Beth

belovedgandp
12-01-2009, 07:49 PM
I just keep notes in my outlook. I have "gifts given" and "gifts received" - two lists for each year - it goes back to 1999 now, so it is interesting to see.

I keep a chronological list (January to December) just listing the person's name and gift. It's come in very handy. Christmas is one thing, but I have more trouble with birthdays and such. Like did I already give the older brother of my nephew the same board game and things like that. Next year my kids will have their teachers overlap for the first time, so I'm also avoiding repeating gifts three years apart.

Fairy
12-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Guys excel 2007 has me for a loop but I'll try to put some hints together in the next day or so.

gatorsmom
12-01-2009, 08:38 PM

I really like it for keeping track of addresses of friends and family.

Wife_and_mommy
12-02-2009, 01:14 AM
Guys excel 2007 has me for a loop but I'll try to put some hints together in the next day or so.

Thanks, Fairy! I'm :bighand: at the possibilities. :D

AngelaS
12-02-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm low tech---I have a five subject notebook that I've been using for the last 16 years. LOL I just write down everyone's name and what I bought and what I paid. :) I list stocking stuffers for the girls as well. :D

wellyes
12-02-2009, 01:05 PM
OK I have to admit, this thread is really surprising me.... it never occurred to me that my name is probably written in spreadsheets and notebooks with list of all the gifts someone has given and amt spent!

Fairy
12-02-2009, 01:29 PM
OK I have to admit, this thread is really surprising me.... it never occurred to me that my name is probably written in spreadsheets and notebooks with list of all the gifts someone has given and amt spent!

I know, it's eye opening, isn't it! I'm probably in someone's archival notebook somewhere, too; I guess I never thoguht of it that way, but it makes sense! I even have a BBB'er or few in my spreadsheet from past years when we had secret santas here and other folks for varying reasons.

sunshine873
12-02-2009, 01:39 PM
I am an Excell junkie. You should see my budget spreadsheet, oh it's so exciting - makes me want to go pay bills or balance my checkbook.

I hadn't thought about keeping a Christmas spreadsheet (like Fairy mentioned) but that's a great idea! I'm going to start working on one today!

fauve01
12-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Low tech, I keep a piece of paper taped to the wall of the room with the presents. Otherwise the computer and presents would never see each other.

LOL! this is me too, except i keep my piece of paper in my "purse" (my red canvas trader joe bag). I am in awe of all you organized people! Excel and I do not get along...

Anne + DD 10-03

Fairy
12-02-2009, 02:18 PM
In another window I have a small primer I'm working on for you guys, but I have work, so I'm adding to it as I'm able. Will get it posted today tho!

WatchingThemGrow
12-02-2009, 02:23 PM
In another window I have a small primer I'm working on for you guys, but I have work, so I'm adding to it as I'm able. Will get it posted today tho!
Thanks! I was unable to reply earlier b/c I was still in shock after reading your method. BTW, MIL claims she keeps it all in her head - from all these years. She has 8 grandchildren. Could someone really do that???

inmypjs
12-02-2009, 02:24 PM
For gifts - I also use an excel spreadsheet. Mine has 3 columns. The first one contains the person's name. The second one is a description of the item/gift. The third column is the price. I have sections for every person we buy for, including what the kids get from Santa. At the very bottom of the price column, I have it totalled so I can see what we spent on Christmas gifts.

For Christmas cards - I keep our household address book in a Microsoft Word table. The columns I have are last name, first name/s, and address. Every year at Christmas, I use "Save as" to create a new table called "Christmas address book 2009". I then modify the list as needed so only the people we are sending cards to are in it. I use the table to make and print mailing labels for our cards, via the "Mail Merge" feature in Word. Back to the "Christmas address book" document - I add a column at the end titled "Card rec'd?" and then at the end of the season I put an "x" in the column if we received a card from that person/family.

I hope that makes sense! It sounds kind of complicated, but it really isn't. I tried to be really specific in case anyone else would like to try something similar.

vonfirmath
12-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks! I was unable to reply earlier b/c I was still in shock after reading your method. BTW, MIL claims she keeps it all in her head - from all these years. She has 8 grandchildren. Could someone really do that???

Yes. After all, most of history used to be kept in folks' memories.

Fairy
12-02-2009, 03:17 PM

I'm sure she's got some stuff in her head, and for what she wants to remember (or feels she needs to), then she probably is retaining what she's intending. But for me? For what I want to keep track of? In my head? Hell no!

elektra
12-02-2009, 03:19 PM

Cool! Maybe I can add some of my favorite excel tips too. AI'm guessing we're talking basics like sums and not pivot tables. ;) I actually always learn something when I watch someone else work in excel. But yah, 2007 :banghead:

egoldber
12-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Wow. We don't have that many people and DH pretty much handles his side of the family, and on my side we only buy for the kids. Two of which (out of 4) are mine LOL!!

For any given year, I write it down on a single sheet of paper and that's it.

I do have a very good memory and can usually remember what I bought for whom for several years back. I don't remember how much I paid, but for me, it doesn't matter.

lizzywednesday
12-02-2009, 03:23 PM
I make lists and frequently tally the costs; otherwise, I overspend on the nephew. DH and I have a STRICT budget of no more than $50 per child for Christmas, so it's usually very easy. I also prefer to give quality over quantity, so if that means only 1 package to open, that's fine by me. (It's also fine by SIL, as she's the one who ends up having to deal with all the crap from her parents, the ILs, Santa and us ... LOL!)

MIL does the same thing, minus the "strict" budget or the package limit. (MIL freaks out if all 3 kids don't get the same number of packages to open. Sometimes this is funny. Other times, this results in an outlandish display.)

Reyadawnbringer
12-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Ooh yea, I am in for helping with Excel tips too if need be. And actually I don't mind 2007... it takes some getting use to, but I like it.

Fairy
12-02-2009, 03:30 PM
I wish there was a way to co-own a post or a thread. So we could add to the same post not have to rifle thru a bunch of them to get all the tips. Tell ya what, lemme start with a how to begin / organizational, and then the tips can flow!

I can do pivots. But I hate them and wouldn't do that to ya'll.

bubbaray
12-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Wow. We don't have that many people and DH pretty much handles his side of the family, and on my side we only buy for the kids. Two of which (out of 4) are mine LOL!!

For any given year, I write it down on a single sheet of paper and that's it.

I do have a very good memory and can usually remember what I bought for whom for several years back. I don't remember how much I paid, but for me, it doesn't matter.

Until this year, I've been OK with old fashioned paper and pen and relying on my memory.

Given my list of "helpers" so far (not kidding, daycare alone is 12 people split between 2 rooms -- then we have school, ballet, baby sitter, etc). Its insane. Frankly, I have better things to do with my memory. What little is left of it, that is.

Fairy, I'm impatiently awaiting the Excel tutorial. That way, I won't have to ask DH's help every time I go to use it!

egoldber
12-02-2009, 03:35 PM
LOL! Well, since I plan to give the same thing (gift card) to all teachers and helpers (about 6 or 7), that simplifies life for me. :) I just can't deal with the added complexity, so gift card it is.

Melanie
12-02-2009, 03:37 PM
I also use a spreadsheet. The problem is when I gather all year long without entering them on it. My kids are still young enough that they have no clue the huge year-long-stash of gifts is right in front of their faces (box in the garage) so occasionally I take it out an inventory (this week, in fact!). When I don't I am always sorry as I end up with WAYY too much. Usually it's the stocking stuffers and Easter Basket goodies when this happens.

Fairy
12-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Here is a good way to begin if you want to start organizing your Holiday Season into one spreadsheet. There is no wrong way, whatever works for you is the right way. Here is what works for me:

One Tab for Each Endeavor
I have alot of moving parts here, four sides to the family, we're Cashews and, therefore, do everything, so if I don't keep track of it, I'm toast. I'm going to list what I do, but certainly extrapolate my tabs to make it your own!

* Gifts
* DH's Tab
* DS's Tab
* Xmas Cards
* Former Xmas Card List
* Hanukkah Party
* Food (for Xmas Day)
* Xmas Lists (we are assigned one person buy for; more on this below)
* Details (where I keep track of the online orders)

Gifts Tab
Column Headings across the top are:
* Name
* Gift 2009
* Cost 2009
* Complete
* Wrapped
* Subtotal
* Total

1. Under Name I enter the person I'm buying for and leave several spaces.

2. Under Gift 2009 and Cost 2009, I enter the gift I purchased and the amount it was in total

3. I put a "yes" in the cell for Complete when it is purchased and arrived.

4. I put a "yes" in the cell for Wrapped when it's wrapped and where it needs to be (whatever that means, it varies; remember, no wrong way)

5. Now it's tricky. Subtotal is the sum function of all the prices for THAT PERSON'S gifts. So, if my Dad got three gifts, then I'd sum the prices of all three of those gifts in the Cost 2009 column and stick it in that Subtotal cell. So, if you're going from the top, then cell F2 is the sum of the costs in cells C2, C3, and C4. This gives me the total I've spent on my Dad. ETA --> To do the sum, go to the cell you want the total to be in, click the Sum function key (no clue where this is in o2007, but it's in the toolbar in 2003), then hit enter if the dynamic dotted line has included all the right cells, or click each one individually while holding down the Ctrl key.

6. Now it's trickier but same concept. The Total column is the roll-up of the subtotals of each individual's gifts within a family unit. So, my mom and dad would be a family unit, so G2's cell would be the sum of my dad's subtotal and my mom's subtotal. Do you have to keep it to this granular a level? Of course not. whatever works for you.

7. When you're done for the season, go back to your Gift and Cost columns. Highlight the entire two columns TO THE RIGHT of them, which should be D and E, right click, select "Insert," and two columns will be inserted to the right. Now label them "Gift 2010" and "Cost 2010" Then you can either keep the 2009 columns for next year as a reference right there for you, or you can highlight them, right click and select "Hide" to get rid of them and only work in your current year's columns. You are now ready for Xmas 2010. And when THAT year is over, do it again. I have this back to 2005.

Another hint for you is to freeze your panes so that you always have the column headings and always have the row headings showing no matter how much you scroll. No clue how to do that in o2007, and,frankly, it's killing me. However, if you have o2003, just put your cursor (highlight the cell) exactly where you want it (so for me, that's D2, cuz I like to have the previous year's stuff showing), go to Data --> Freeze Panes.

DH's Tab
I have to keep track of three thigns for him, cuz it's his bday, our anniversary, plus Xmas all this month. So there's *alot* to navigate here. So, what I do is fairly simple, I have mini tables all within this sheet for each year, most current on top.

* Column headings read "2009" "Gift" "Price" and "Comment"
* Under "2009" I enter if it's Xmas, Anniv, or Bday
* Gift & Price are self-explanatory
* Comments are whatever you need

The following year, I insert six or seven rows at the very top, start a brand new table, all done. No fuss no muss

DS's Tab
This is a simpler version of the Gifts tab. Column Headings are simply "DS Gifts 2009" and "Cost 2009." No subtotalling, no rolling up, just list it. The following year, I create a new two columns to the right and begin again, always having seen what I bought the year before and what we spent. I also put gift ideas at the bottom that I've communicated to what person so that I know, wait, Grandma wanted to buy DS the snow toys, so don't tell Aunt Jenny to get snow toys. Etc. Now, DS is only 5, so I don't have to hide any columns to fit it all on the page. YET. But I think it's time to hide 2005 now that I'm looking at it, as I'm finally out of room! ETA --> I forgot, I do sum the total of what I spent. So, under the very last gift, write "Total" in the cell below. Then under cost, do the Sum function, and make sure each of the cost cells are chosen. You'll get a dynamic dotted line showing you what it thinks you want to sum. If it's forgetting one, take your cursor and simply highlight all the cells. If you want to skip one, then click them one at a time while holding down the Ctrl key.

I do not list what was received here at all. I probably should, as i'm TERRIBLE with thank you cards for people that really shoudl have them, like family friends (as opposed to grandma, etc.). But you could probably come up with something like this on this tab if you wanted to. Hmm ... maybe I'll do that ...

Xmas Cards
Ookie, this is how it all started for me. I have this going back to 2004, but before that I had it on paper that I kept with my Xmas card leftovers from the year before, and I had those from possibly college, but definitely since 1993. I wonder where those are, probably gone now. But here I try to keep very good track, cuz I spend alot of money on xmas cards, postage, and the wallets from DS's professional portraits. If I'm giving to you 4 years straight, and you never give back, you're gone. Grandma layed up in the nursing home doesn't count. But this also helps me keep track of addresses. Every address for everyone I know (more or less) is on here. Here we go.

Columns:
* Sent in 2008
* Sent in 2009
* Rec'd in 2008
* Rec'd in 2009
* Type (Family, Friend, Hil Work, DH Work, X Organization, Other)
* Address 1
* Address 2
* City
* State
* Zip
* Phone
* Email
* Gift Rec'd (yes/no)
* Thank You Card Sent (yes/no)
* Comment

In the Sent in 2008 column is the name of the family. "The Anderson Family" and then in parens I have every single person's name in the family, sometimes the pets, anyone int he household that is important to include. Since I don't do a mail merge, it doesn't matter what i put in tehre, but if you do, then put this in the Comment column. When I have mailed out their card, I bold the cell. That tells me that they were sent to. Why not just take them out if they weren't sent to? Cuz for me it's way too complicated to start hiding rows or eliminating people and then checking the former list. This way, I see right there, these are people on the active list, they'r enot banished to the Former Xmas Card List tab, meaning I never look there again. It's historic reference. So, if i don't send to them, it stays in plaintext, and then I know next yeawr, that person didn't get a card last year.

Now. In the Sent in 2009 column, I just copy and paste the entire 2008 column and then unbold the entire thing so that I have a clean slate. No one sent to yet so all plaintext. When mailed, bold the cell. In 2010, lather rinse repeat. 2011, you get the picture. So, do I have columns hanging out since 2004? Actually, yes, I do at the beginning of the season so I can see a little history and think about who to banish to the next tab. once I've made those decisions, I hide everything but Sent in 2008.

Another thing to note is in 2004 I had 77 rows. Today I have 120. EAch year they increased by about five or 8 people. This year I expect to actually lose a few. Just add the new ones to the bottom, do NOT try to insert them near related people. that's why you have the Type column so that you can view those related folks in the same group at a glance by doing a filter. Filtering is easy, you go to the top of your spreadsheet, A1, go to Data --> Filter --> Autofilter, and you'll get arrows at the top of your column headings on the right of the cell. Click on the arrow, and you'll have every value that is present in this column, and then just choose the one you want, and they'll show only those. You can filter more than one column at a time, too. show me all Family who live in Illinois. Boom. to unfilter, go click them all again, and it will undo. That's 2003. In 2007 it's a pain in the ass, and don't even get me started.

Former Xmas Card List
The first time I did this I literally did a copy and paste of the entire Xmas Cards tab into a brand new tab, then deleted all rows en masse that were NOT banished, that left me with the ones that validly belonged there. I do not keep this pretty, all I need is the ifnroamtion, I don't care if it is formatted properly.

Hanukkah Party
I just invented this one cuz last year's party is now annual. And I realized when coming here to post for help on something for this year's party that I alreayd did it all last year! So, this tab will now help. This is gonna be alot like DH's tab where I just have a new table above the old table each year, as it's not complicated. Columns are strictly name of the invitee, address info, and the dish they're bringing to share. I can easily do this again next year by inserting more rows on the top. To the right, I think I'll do a list of games I did, cuz I've started to forget how I did my gift exchange with this last year.

Food
This is for the family gathering at Xmas at my house. Lists all the food I'm having, where it's coming from (me, mom, etc)., and any notes I have about it. Nothing too earth-shattering here.

Xmas Lists
This is new this year, too. In our family, we began assinging each person one adult to buy for (and everyone can buy for any kids they want in addition, but you cannot buy for anotehr adult at our gathering and give it to them at our gathering). Each person has to have a list of 5 things that equal no more than a $50 for any one thing, and then whomever is assigned to you can choose from that list what they want to give. this was PERFECT last year, and this year, I'm the keeper of the lists (don't get me started on the politics I'm already dealing with), so I have all of them listed under each person's name. I think I'll keep a running tab of these the same way by inserting fresh lines at the top next year.

Column headings across the top are each of our names, then under each name is their list of 5 things and any details that go with it. Then I have a small table below it that has -- cuz I'm lazy -- Giver / Getter / Giver/Getter Present?. Cuz we have some people that will NOT be present at xmas this year, but they ARE participating in the gift exchange. Please kill me.

Details
Every single online order is noted here. Just quick and dirty name of vendor, order confirmation number, stuff in the order and for whom, and then when it's arrived, I write "complete in bold red next to it. Not a pretty tab but very helpful."

==================

And that, dudes, is IT.

gatorsmom
12-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Wow! Thank you for typing all that. I may have to try that after all.

bubbaray
12-02-2009, 04:06 PM
THANK YOU!

:yay:

Reyadawnbringer
12-02-2009, 05:06 PM
ETA --> To do the sum, go to the cell you want the total to be in, click the Sum function key (no clue where this is in o2007, but it's in the toolbar in 2003), then hit enter if the dynamic dotted line has included all the right cells, or click each one individually while holding down the Ctrl key.

I am at work and so I don't have access to Excel 2007 here but one tip I wanted to add about the sum function in Excel is that you don't have to know where the sum function button is in the program. All you have to do it type the fuction in the box you want it to appear in.

Example:

You have number 5 in Cell A1, number 10 in Cell B1. You want the sum of the two numbers to appear in Cell C1. In cell C1 type "=" and then click on the first cell that you want to add. You will see the colored function box show up (it will also add that cell number to the formula right after the "=" sign you typed). After type "=" and click on your first box then you type "+". This will tell excel that you are about to select another number that you want added. Next click on your next cell to add in the equation. This will highlight it in function color and add the cell number to your function equation. you can do this for as many cells as you like. When you are done with the equation simply hit "Enter" on your keyboard and excel will display the sum of all the cells you selected.

Before hitting "enter" your equation for the above example would look like this: "=A1+B1" This would be displayed in cell C1. Also, you can manually type the cells out in the equation instead of clicking them and it will do the same thing.

Another way to get a sum is to highlight all the cells you want a sum for and then go to the very bottom of your excel window. On the bottom right hand side you will see a word and a number very small. Hover on top of that word/number and right click. Make sure the option selected there is set to "sum". This will then give you a quick "sum" of any number of cells you highlight. (This last advice is for Excel 2003 as I am not near my 2007 yet and I have not had to use this particular function at home yet).

HTH.

Fairy
12-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Updated the Primer post (#50) with the rest of the info!

Seitvonzu
12-02-2009, 06:52 PM
that primer is AMAZING. i just printed it out and will be starting doing this THIS year. i love the idea of having all this information... i do tend to remember lots of stuff now, but i'd like to keep better track of gifts and entertaining and things. i have a bazillion different notebooks and i need to be more centralized. i like the idea of less PAPER too. paper takes over my life, even though we do so much online.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

(oh and i can't believe how organized you guys all are! )

Fairy
12-02-2009, 06:54 PM
You're so welcome!

bubbaray
12-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Darnit, Hil, now I have NO EXCUSE for not being organized.

Thanks!

Fairy
12-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Honestly, Melissa, any other day I'd be doing this in dribs and drabs, but today after my calls ended, I just couldn't muster up the energy to do the crap I need to do. Maybe tomorrow. So, I let my fingers just go. As you can tell from the typos :-). That's one long post, man, yeesh! Very glad to have helped :-)

jgenie
12-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Wow - Fairy that is amazing!!!

DrSally
12-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Wow! I just do mine on a single piece of paper and pencil. I have to start it though b/c I have no idea what's in my gift closet, I just keep picking up more stuff. I have to write down prices b/c I would way overspend on my neices and nephews. It also helps me to keep things more even.

Wife_and_mommy
12-03-2009, 01:04 AM
Fairy! Thank you so much for typing that all out. You have no idea....

I need to get to bed but I'm eagerly awaiting being able to sit tomorrow and start mine. I'm so excited(and such a nerd)!!:cheerleader1::cheerleader1:

Thanks to everyone who's posting tips as well. They're very much appreciated. :cheerleader1::cheerleader1:

elektra
12-03-2009, 01:05 AM
Another hint for you is to freeze your panes so that you always have the column headings and always have the row headings showing no matter how much you scroll. No clue how to do that in o2007, and,frankly, it's killing me. However, if you have o2003, just put your cursor (highlight the cell) exactly where you want it (so for me, that's D2, cuz I like to have the previous year's stuff showing), go to Data --> Freeze Panes.

To do freeze panes in 2007, you click on the cell to the right of the column you want to freeze and below the row you want to freeze. Then go to "View" in the menu and click the "Freeze Panes" icon. Scroll down and select "freeze panes"

Freeze panes really comes in handy if you have a long list and need to scroll down or to the right quite a bit.

Another tip is that if you want to make a list of several months or years in a row, you just have to do a "fill". So try typing January in any cell. Then hover over the bottom right corner of the cell. Your cursor should turn from a fat + to a skinny+. Click on the skinny + and keep your mouse held down while you drag it down. February, March, etc. should then all fill in. It works for numbers too. But you must type in two numbers in a row, highlight both, then do the dragging.