PDA

View Full Version : CL email WWYD?

Melaine
12-01-2009, 03:43 PM
So I am selling my Baby Jogger City Series Double on CL. It's been posted awhile and several emails but no takers. We aren't in a hurry to sell it and I'm just holding out for the right buyer willing to pay the right price.

I just got an email from a lady asking to see it. She actually says in the email that she doesn't want it because it is purple and she has boys. However, she wants to meet with me to see my stroller because she is thinking about buying a BJ and hasn't seen it IRL!!!

I think that's extremely nervy and I'm kind of annoyed. However, at the same time I hate to turn her down on the off chance she might decide to buy it (I don't think I would care about color when it came to saving money). And while we aren't in a hurry to sell it, that cash really would come in handy for Christmas. WWYD?

srhs
12-01-2009, 03:45 PM
JMHO: I really doubt she'll buy it. I would tell her that you just don't have a lot of spare time for demo'ing right now, but be really nice. At least she was upfront.

alien_host
12-01-2009, 03:52 PM
I'd ignore the e-mail for now since it is doubtful she'd buy it and she is wasting your time.

If she contacts you again, then you can decide if you want to take the time and maybe she is a more serious buyer.

I've responded to lots of CL ads and never heard back, I just assume it's sold. If I really want the item I might try again (or if I saw it listed again).

Andi98989
12-01-2009, 03:55 PM
I doubt that she'll buy it, but if you've got the time to show it to her, it might be a nice gesture. DH and I were looking at getting either a BJ or an Easy Walker; we could find the BJ's to look at, but not the Easy Walker. We actually ended up carving out time on our anniversary trip to Chicago to find a baby store that carried an Easy Walker so we could check it out. So, coming from the perspective of someone who has looked and looked for a stroller to see IRL before buying it, I can see why she'd ask - and she's probably pretty desperate.

bubbaray
12-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Just delete her email. She's already told you she isn't interested. She's not worth your time. I wouldn't even respond to an email like that and I've sold a TON of strollers (including my BJCSD) on CL.

wellyes
12-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Delete. I try to keep good karma & be helpful in general but that is just rude.

BTW what's wrong with purple for boys?

KrisM
12-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Let her come see it...and charge her $10 for your time.

DietCokeLover
12-01-2009, 04:15 PM
If she could see it at a time that is completely convenient to you without you having to go out of your way, I would do it.

I'd just chalk it up to doing a good deed at Christmas and knowing that she probably would really appreciate the chance to see one. Who knows, she may have a friend that she'll pass the info along to.

JamiMac
12-01-2009, 04:42 PM
I would not do it. I had a lady from CL come by to see a stroller I had. She tried it out for quite a while, looked it all over, folded it etc. Then she said she had just been wanting to see one IRL. She gave me a really low-ball offer (that I didn't take) and then left. I wouldn't waste your time and open your home to her. I know that might not sound nice, but not everyone has good intentions. I just think a CL transaction should be short and easy, and not to use you as a showroom. I also wish people would agree on prices over the internet/phone and not try and get things cheaper in my living room! :) It just makes me uncomfortable.

WatchingThemGrow
12-01-2009, 04:48 PM
If she could see it at a time that is completely convenient to you without you having to go out of your way, I would do it.

I'd just chalk it up to doing a good deed at Christmas and knowing that she probably would really appreciate the chance to see one. Who knows, she may have a friend that she'll pass the info along to.
I'd do it if it were completely convenient to me and if she were in the market for some of the other items I had listed. You do have a lot, right? We all know the BJ is hard to find IRL and how much you want to make the right decision. I couldn't just delete without feeling badly. And...she may have a friend...

elektra
12-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Pass........

Octobermommy
12-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Um, no. I would just ignore/delete.

TwinFoxes
12-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Tough call. It might depend on how she asked. If she was polite and acknowledged you'd be doing her a favor, and it wasn't an inconvenience I might do it. If her attitude was along the lines of I don't need your stroller, but can I use you as a showroom, I'd say no.

So purple is now not a boy color?? Pretty soon boys will only wear blue and camo!

crl
12-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Tough call. It might depend on how she asked. If she was polite and acknowledged you'd be doing her a favor, and it wasn't an inconvenience I might do it. If her attitude was along the lines of I don't need your stroller, but can I use you as a showroom, I'd say no.

So purple is now not a boy color?? Pretty soon boys will only wear blue and camo!

Yes, this. At least she was upfront. She could have pretended to be interested and then not purchased it.

Catherine

Melaine
12-01-2009, 06:01 PM
I know, I think part of the reason I'm annoyed by her email is that she is against the purple for boys! The purple was the cheapest option I could find at the time, and it did cross my mind it might be difficult to resell.
I'm going to see what DH says. I would probably do it if I didn't mind someone coming to my house, but I almost always meet people at public locations for CL deals, so it really would be a pain to set up a meeting time and place.

Ceepa
12-01-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm all for acts of kindness but you are not a showroom. So she has no interest in buying yours but she wants to wheel it around and fold it and consider the storage and ask you all about it and then get in her car and drive away? I wouldn't have time for that.

WatchingThemGrow
12-01-2009, 09:21 PM
It's funny...I would do it for a friend, and I would do it for a stroller. I wouldn't do it for a car, for furniture, for a toy, for just about anything else. Only for a stroller. Oh, Jaaaaanet, would you demo a stroller for someone who you knew wasn't going to buy yours? Any DH would say no, I'm pretty certain. Tell her she can buy new skins for it :)

JamiMac
12-01-2009, 09:52 PM
I would demo a stroller in a heartbeat for a friend, neighbor, friend of a friend, etc. I just wouldn't for a random person on Craigslist because I don't know them. I've even showed people in stores how to use strollers, or showed them mine, but having a stranger in the house crosses the line for me.

DrSally
12-01-2009, 10:56 PM
I wouldn't bother if she's just looking.

mariza
12-01-2009, 11:20 PM
I would respond by telling her the name of any places in your area that sell the same strollers, then tell her "good luck" in your decision making. Tell her you sold it or decided to keep it a little longer or have someone with "serious" interest coming to look at it. Do not waste your time.

gatorsmom
12-01-2009, 11:26 PM
I dunno, I'm a softy sometimes. As another pp said, they are hard to see IRL and I'm trying to put myself in her place- I know I'd appreciate it if someone were willing to show it to me. And if I'd totally try to help HER out by passing along her name to another friend of mine who might be looking for a stroller.

But then, I believe in karma.....

vonfirmath
12-01-2009, 11:45 PM
I know, I think part of the reason I'm annoyed by her email is that she is against the purple for boys! The purple was the cheapest option I could find at the time, and it did cross my mind it might be difficult to resell.
I'm going to see what DH says. I would probably do it if I didn't mind someone coming to my house, but I almost always meet people at public locations for CL deals, so it really would be a pain to set up a meeting time and place.

I just bought the purple My Pal Violet instead of the green My Pal Scout today for my son.

MommyAllison
12-02-2009, 01:35 AM
I'll be the voice of dissent and say I probably would. When I was trying to decide on the MBUD, I asked a person who was local to me from StrollerSwap if I could look at hers - it wasn't for sale. She readily agreed (she might actually have offered, it's been a couple years and I can't remember) We met up in a grocery store parking lot and she showed it to me, let me push it, had my DD get in to see if she was too tall for the canopy, etc etc for 5-10 minutes. The nearest retailer of the MBUD is over 5 hours away from my city, and I was soooo grateful to her! So I'd probably do the same for someone else, if they sounded very polite and made it easy for me to do so.

DrSally
12-02-2009, 11:42 AM
I think I was in a bad mood when I answered. WHile I wouldn't count on her buying it, she was upfront about it in her email. If it's convenient for you, I would show it to her. I've done little favors for people I don't know off freecycle and people are always very appreciative, so why not if it's easy for you, KWIM? OTOH, if she no shows or anything like that, just move on.

veronica
12-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Let her come see it...and charge her $10 for your time.

Love it! Time is money!