PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do - kind of long

DietCokeLover
12-01-2009, 06:25 PM
DD (3 next week) has been in speech therapy for the past year. She goes two times a week, however, she will be switching to a new therapist after turnng 3 due to being transferred from EI to the school district for services. Her new therapist is recommending DD get involved in preschool. Her reasons are that DD will have some "peer pressure/ encouragement" to speak and be understood as well as developing some peer relationships.

We live in a very small town and we have no friends here that have small children, so DCs do not have "friends" to play with. We're pretty isolated.

I have never thought about preschool, though am not opposed to it. I am at this point planning to homeschool my children for various reasons.

After coming home from the meeting today, I called a local church which has a preschool as well as a k-8 school. They have preschool for potty trained 3 year olds and they have a 3 day per week program (9 - noon). It's $179 per month.

Ok, several questions now... is that a good price? Also, DD is not potty trained yet though is beginning to show signs of interest (but we are going to be travelling for the next 3 weeks, which is not a good pting time! - but that's a whole other post). I'm not sure if it would be worth enrolling her for the few months that she would be in after potty training and before summer.

Basically, I just have no idea what to do and don't really know what is best in this situation.

I'd love some feedback of things for me to put into consideration. I know there are lots of different ideas, so I'm open to everything at this point.

trales
12-01-2009, 06:30 PM
I think the price is really good, it is less than 7 per hour. Whether or not you homeschool, this might give you and DC's a chance to meet some new people in your town, esp ones that have kids. Since she qualifies for EI, does she qualify for a free preschool program with the school district?

If you find a program you like, it might allow you to feel more comfortable in your community, find a support net and feel less isolated.

elektra
12-01-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm not up to speed on the ranges in preschool rates. But I wanted to share what my SIL is doing for her newly 3yo DD.
She has never been in therapy, but she is behind in her speech. SIL is opposed to preschool, but what she is doing is signing up for a lot of mommy and me classed where her DD spends time with other kids. Could you try that before you do any "official" preschool?

DietCokeLover
12-01-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm not up to speed on the ranges in preschool rates. But I wanted to share what my SIL is doing for her newly 3yo DD.
She has never been in therapy, but she is behind in her speech. SIL is opposed to preschool, but what she is doing is signing up for a lot of mommy and me classed where her DD spends time with other kids. Could you try that before you do any "official" preschool?

I would love to do this, but we live over an hour away from anything remotely like this. It makes things kind of difficult to have to travel to do anything.

bubbaray
12-01-2009, 06:50 PM
I would do the preschool. By my (poor) math, its under $5/hr (3 hrs, 3x/w, 4w/m). We pay our 13yo babysitter more than $5/hr.

Plus, IME, you'll see huge strides in her speech. My DD#2 was in ST b/c she basically didn't talk much at all. When we moved her from a small in-home daycare to a large center daycare, her speech took off. Its nuts now. She talks non-stop (making up for all that time not talking at all, I guess). She'll have a followup with her SLP next spring when the SLP is back from mat leave and I'm pretty sure she'll be shocked at the progress.

carolinamama
12-01-2009, 06:57 PM
That price sounds quite good. I would probably enroll her in preschool especially since she is unable to play with other kids during playdates or classes. I agree that you may meet other parents with kids of similar ages and find that not only your daughter benefits. I know my DS1 loves playing with his school friends now and gets very excited about getting invited to their birthday parties and such.

AnnieW625
12-01-2009, 07:11 PM
A year ago my daughter could say maybe 15 words in public (a little more at home when she was comfortable) and she started speech at 2/1/2. She was in small group therapy and it really helped my shy DD prepare for preschool too. Now a year later she talks like any normal three/four year old would. Preschool has made a big difference in her and I am really glad we decided to send her. We pay $177 per month too for 2 week, 3 hrs. per day.

niccig
12-01-2009, 08:04 PM
I think they're suggesting the preschool, so your DD has motivation from her peers. You might find that you and family understood her, so she doesn't need to talk as much as she would if she was in a class of her peers.

A friend had a similar situation with her 2 yo, he has Downs Syndrome and the EI pushed for her to enroll him in a 2 yo class. My friend did not want to do it, but they told her he would be motivated to progress further as he wants to keep up with the other children. His older brother is too much older to be the same kind of playmate. She's seen him make huge leaps, as he wants to play with all the kids.

Indianamom2
12-01-2009, 10:03 PM
I agree with the others and think preschool is a good idea, particularly given that she isn't around other peers very much/at all.

My DD #1 started preschool (really small group speech therapy) when she was 3 for the same reasons (aged out of EI and peer pressure). That was free through our local school system. Now, for the last year and a half, she has been in a small regular preschool, receiving speech therapy once a week. We paid $119 last year for 3 days a week/9-11:30, and this year we pay $142 for 4 days/9-11:30. I'd say your price is reasonable.

Good luck. It's tough knowing what to do so much of the time.

Christina

katydid1971
12-01-2009, 10:21 PM
I have to agree pre school has done so much to help DS talk. I think the price is fair. As far as the potty training this goes you might b able to "fake it" if she doesn't have her BMs during that time she could be in pull ups the whole time with out the preschool staff really noticing. Plus preschool is a good motivator to PT :) Seeing the other kids use the potty will motivate her to do the same. I say do it!!!!!

gatorsmom
12-01-2009, 11:43 PM
I think preschool is worth trying too, although going from no school to 9 hours/week seems a tad much. But that's just my opinion and she may love it and do great. It's worth a try.

Gator was in EI and had a speech therapist coming to our house until he turned 3, like your DC. And his therapist recommended a program at the school this therapist as working through. This school had a program called "Play and Learn" which essentially had very small classes of the same aged kids. Some were speech or motor or some other delay, and some of the kids had no delays. They were specially designed so that the kids who were getting EI therapies would continue to get it but in a group setting. It was fantastic. Gator excelled. He made tons of friends and came out of the program OVERLY confident. It was so wonderful, I am considering putting the twins in it. I should have done it for Cha Cha too (as one of the kids with no delays).

I hope your preschool experience is equally helpful.

ha98ed14
12-02-2009, 02:02 AM
I have to keep this brief, but I wanted to share my BTDT:

1) Preschool curriculum and social interaction has done WONDERS for my DD's speech. She was in therapy for a little over a year also. It just ended in October. I actually think that the social setting and need for communication at pre school did more for her than the hourly sessions. Peer pressure isn't the right word IMO; more like an necessity/ incentive. At least, that is what happened for DD I think.

2) If you are isolated the way you describe and you plan to homeschool, you really need to look into finding a group or a co-op to socialize with. I have A LOT of friends who HS and they all have some kind of affiliation with a group for park days, field trips, etc. The two groups that they use do accept families with preschool age kids, especially if the parents are investigating HSing.

3) I think that is an amazing price. I could see waiting until after your travels and the holidays to enroll her, but I would do it IIWY.

MoJo
12-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Just wanted to add that I also plan to homeschool, but I also plan to put my DC in a Church-based preschool part time when they are that age, because I think it will be very good for them.

Some of my best friends did that, and highly recommend it.

AngelaS
12-02-2009, 09:29 AM
My youngest has also been in speech therapy 2X a week since just before she turned 4. They asked if she went to preschool and I said no. I have never felt that she really needed to go (none of my girls have gone).

Do what you're comfortable with and what you think would be best. I would encourage you to find a moms group or a church group (if that's your thing) as a place for you to make friends as well. :) Looking for a homeschool group now would be a great option for down the road--our group does whole family activities so the preschoolers can take part. My girls also do AWANA. :)

sste
12-02-2009, 12:28 PM
DietCokeMom, what are your concerns? To me it seems like a no-brainer that nine hours will likely be fun and valuable to your DC and will also provide you with a lovely nine hour break/time to focus on one on one with other DC.

I think you need to go observe the preschool, preferably for a couple of hours and without your DC the first time. I think the price is not so important (assuming it is affordable to you) and I would focus on 1) the ratio of teachers to DCs; 2) the education level of the teachers; 3) how many open-ended questions the teachers ask versus commands; 4) whether the "curriculum" includes circle time (reading a book, singing, learning activities), independent play, meal time with hand washing!, and outdoor time; 5) receptiveness of teachers to implementing certain speech things you are working on with your child in the preschool setting - - obviously their time/attention is limited but you should be able to tell them we are working on "three word sentences this month" or somesuch; 6) safety of physical building, safety protocols, allergy/sick policies, etc.

DietCokeLover
12-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Thank you for all of your feedback. It's so helpful to have others btdts and thoughts.

I definitely agree with the pros that you have mentioned, and to the poster who suggested going ahead and connecting with the homeschool groups in the area - that was a great suggestion and I am going to do that after the holidays.

I'm not even sure I can really voice what my concerns are. It may just come down to the fact that I have envisioned myself as a homeschooler and am wondering how this fits in. I also want to make sure that if I do put her in a preschool that it is just that and not a daycare setting. That's just not what I want for my family at this point (and am thankful that DH works so that I don't have to at this time).

To sste - thank you for all the things to note and observe at the preschool, that is extremely helpful and I appreciate the list.

I guess the blessing is that I don't have to decide today (I have at least until DD is potty trained), but if any others have thoughts I am SO open to them. Thanks!

crl
12-02-2009, 07:38 PM
I reluctantly put DS in preschool. I was really, really concerned that he was too little--I never meant to send a 2 1/2 year old to preschool. And it was 5 days a week! OMG. But, DH encouraged it and DS wasn't making tons of progress in EI. (He had speech, fine motor and sensory integration issues.) He went to a self-contained special education classroom for most of the second semester that year and even though it was hard it was the best possible decision for him. He adjusted after about 2 weeks. And by the end of the semester his articulation problems had completely resolved (!) and he had made enormous progress in all sorts of ways. I truly believe it was the right choice for him.

Catherine