PDA

View Full Version : 17month old puts everything in his mouth - how to stop it?

slworld
12-01-2009, 06:47 PM
DS is 17months old & puts EVERYTHING in his mouth. He does use a pacifier for naps/sleep. At our home its ok but I feel embarassed when he does that to others toys. I am sure the parents don't appreciate my kid putting their kids' toys in his mouth. I do say no and rinse the toy it if i can. The other kids his age don't do it so much (I mean they may occasionally do it, but not frequently). Is this normal at this age. Shld I be doing something about it, if so what?

Thanks much

deannanb
12-01-2009, 06:51 PM
are you at friend's houses when he puts the other toys in his mouth?
I personally try to then offer a toy from our diaper bag once the toy in the mouth starts- and if that doesn't work I just say to the parent - I'll wash this toy when he is done playing with it.

at 17 months, DS doesnt' understand to keep toys out of his mouth and that some toys aren't his

ThreeofUs
12-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Totally normal. Not much you can do but gently take the things from his mouth and say something firm but kind.

JBaxter
12-01-2009, 07:58 PM
its normal. Some kids are more oral than others. My 18 YEAR old still chews pencils, straws, hoodie strings etc.

hillview
12-01-2009, 08:06 PM
100% what kids do at this age. Not a lot you can do other than offer toys that are mouth safe ;)
/hillary

pb&j
12-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Totally normal. DS was incredibly oral for the longest time. He had everything in his mouth until probably 2.5 or so. The best you can do is if you don't want something in his mouth, take it away and give him something else.

KHF
12-01-2009, 09:02 PM
My first thought was "Duct Tape." Seriously though, not a lot you can do about it at that age. My DD is going through ANOTHER oral phase at FOUR...so I'm really no help.