PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Tree with a Toddler?

SM23Mama21
12-01-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm debating putting up the Christmas tree this year with my very curious almost toddler getting into everything. For those of you who have BTDT... did you put the tree up and if so, how did you keep your DC out of it?

I've thought about putting a fence around it, but can't justify another $150 to spend this time of year IYKWIM.

MommyofAmaya
12-01-2009, 08:14 PM
We've decided that the best strategy is to buy our tree late in the season (the week before Xmas) and take it down before NYE. It is only up for about 10 days and we are just extra cautious during that short time.

sariana
12-01-2009, 08:16 PM
We put our tree in the living room. DC are not allowed in that room without us, and there are gates blocking them (well, just DD--DS is careful enough now at 5).

I would be very worried about having a tree that DC could access easily, but I don't have any advice.

Perhaps you could find a "fence" on Freecycle or Craigslist. We have the North States metal gate system. We are not using it freestanding right now, but it would work around our tree if we needed to use it that way.

There should be something like Freecycle but for borrowing only. I would like to have some ride-on toys just for my DD's birthday, for example. I need something similar to Freecycle but where I could borrow items from various people just for the day (or some other set length of time).

Happy 2B mommy
12-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Totally did the tree! Breakable ornaments were high up, lot of favorite/heirloom ornaments were left off and I bought 2 packs of shatterproof ornaments from Wal-mart for about $20 for the bottom.

jgenie
12-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Our tree is behind a Superyard XT - Martha stewart it isn't but it is safe. :)

ourbabygirl
12-01-2009, 08:46 PM
DD is 13 months and has been fine around it. She occasionally wants to touch the tip of a branch (fake tree), or watch the cat who likes to lay underneath it (under all the lights), but she's very gentle and I really don't feel like I have to worry. I wouldn't leave her unattended around it, though, just in case. Like pp, breakable bulb ornaments are higher up, above her reach, and I'm just putting soft ornaments (like mini stuffed animals) on the bottom, also without the ornament hooks but ribbons or something instead.

KrisM
12-01-2009, 08:50 PM
We've always done a tree. They are curious at first and then it just becomes part of the room.

But, the bottom has soft, unbreakable ornaments. We also have a short, wooden fence around it (family tradition).

Our only mishap was when DS1 was 3.5 and was standing on the couch looking at an ornament. He lost his balance and grabbed the tree to steady himself. He was fine, but the tree went down. Because of that, we attach the tree to the wall with picture wire.

KathyN115
12-01-2009, 08:50 PM
We have an artificial tree, and DD (3.5) loves it! We have put it up each year since she was born. We just encourage her to be safe and careful around the tree, and she really is! I also bought a bunch of shatterproof ornaments, and have left all my pretty breakables away. So Martha Stewart would not approve of our tree either, but at least I don't worry about DD around it.

neeleymartin
12-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Totally did the tree! Breakable ornaments were high up, lot of favorite/heirloom ornaments were left off and I bought 2 packs of shatterproof ornaments from Wal-mart for about $20 for the bottom.

:yeahthat: we did the same when ds was about a year and a half. he has just started to walk and was very curious. just keep the bottom stuff safe.

it reminds me of the dog's dish. the novelty wears off after only a short period of time.

JBaxter
12-01-2009, 08:59 PM
I have 4 boys. I have always put my live tree up the first full weekend of Dec. I pick a very prickly needled tree and put all the unbreakable ornaments at the bottom. At the end of the day I redecorate the bottom of the tree. :). I have never had a problem .

KHF
12-01-2009, 08:59 PM
We used a SuperYard XT also when DD was a nosy toddler. We've since moved and have a living room for the tree, where we usually aren't just hanging out. We have only been here a couple of months and there isn't any furniture in there besides a folding table with my computer and printer on it! So there was plenty of room for the tree :)

maestramommy
12-01-2009, 09:06 PM
I have 4 boys. I have always put my live tree up the first full weekend of Dec. I pick a very prickly needled tree and put all the unbreakable ornaments at the bottom. At the end of the day I redecorate the bottom of the tree. :). I have never had a problem .
:hysterical:Ingenious!

hillview
12-01-2009, 09:19 PM
I pick a very prickly needled tree.

This is my new strategy. Thanks!
/hillary