PDA

View Full Version : ugh....DD didn't go to preschool.....

AnnieW625
12-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Now I'd really put this in the bitching post but I have yet to hear the whole story from daycare owner as she wasn't there when I picked up DD (daycare owner employs two other people all day I really trust who are usually present for pick up). So I asked DD how preschool was and she says she didn't go. I asked one of the assistants and she said it was because Elisa wanted to stay at daycare and make Gingerbread cookies. I am a tad irate because I have to pay for both daycare and preschool and don't get any type of discount if she doesn't go to preschool. I completely understand if Elisa or DCP is sick, has a broken car or what not, but I don't want this becoming a habit that DD can dictate when she wants to go to school and when she doesn't want to. DD always talks about how much fun she has at school and that she also likes to stay for lunch so this really took me by surprise.

What else should I do? I can't really expect DCP to rearrange her schedule more than she already has (ie: not starting crafts/cooking until after DD has left to go to school at 8:45 or just not doing fun crafts on the days that Elisa goes to preschool--Elisa is the only one who goes to preschool as she is the oldest one at the daycare), but it just seems odd that DCP wouldn't call and ask me about whether or not DD should go.

Thanks for reading!

WatchingThemGrow
12-01-2009, 10:26 PM
no BTDT, but that's just strange to me.

Clarity
12-01-2009, 10:35 PM
I'd be LIVID if one of my daycare providers decided that my child didn't need to be where she was supposed to be. And then didn't even TELL me about it? LIVID.

hillview
12-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Um yeah odd to say the least. I'd make my point of view clear "DD goes to preschool, please call me if you have any questions" I'd also tell DD that is what happens.

It sounds pretty strange that she decided not to go so didn't. Interested to hear what the owner says.
/hillary

egoldber
12-02-2009, 07:44 AM
I'd be LIVID if one of my daycare providers decided that my child didn't need to be where she was supposed to be

:yeahthat:

But I will say that it probably is hard for your DD to hear about fun things that they plan to do at daycare that she can't because she is going to preschool. Even though she has fun at preschool, in the moment, the activity she knows she will be missing seems more fun to her than the unknown fun she will be having at preschool. I woudl ask the daycare teacher and assistants to please play up the fun of preschool to her.

My older sister is a daycare teacher and I can honestly see her making the "decision" to not send a kid to preschool if they expressed a wish not to go. But my sister has serious boundary issues and would not be MY choice of daycare provider LOL!!! :p

Also, I'm a little confused. Is the preschool in the same place as the daycare? Or does one of the teachers transport your DD there? Is it common for them to transport an older child to preschool in this way? Because I can also easily imagine a situation where taking her to preschool wasn't particularly convenient for them (especially if the head teacher wasn't there) so they decided to skip it and "encouraged" Elisa to not want to go. But maybe I am just a tad too cynical. :o

AnnieW625
12-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the responses. I have cooled down a bit and I have to say that in the last three years we've been sending DD to daycare I've never had an issue with my DCP. I feel very blessed to have found her. I trust her decisions when it comes to the care of my child almost blind folded (if that makes sens); she could honestly be a stand in mom for Elisa if needed.

Preschool is off site from daycare (about 3 miles away) as daycare is in the DCP's private home. DCP drives her to preschool and picks her up. It's the only way we can use this preschool as it's part time and doesn't start until 9 am. I really don't want to move Elisa to a full day preschool set up because her little best buddy is still at the daycare (he's six mos. younger) and it's the only daycare that she's ever been to, and honestly we are very happy with the care. Now if something were to happen and her best friend no longer attends the daycare (but I honestly don't see that happening) then next summer I might look at putting her in a pre K program at a local Montessori, but again that would be a last resort and we are no way thinking we are in last resort status now.

Response from DCP:

"Just heard your message. ELISA didn't want to go bc we were doing gingerbread stuff. It was my fault. Next time we won't let her see what we are doing before she goes. I apologize."

My response to DCP:
No problem I was just a little surprised when she said she didn't go because she talks about wanting to go to preschool all weekend. Also I told Chris (my DH) that it might be easier if she get there by 7:30 on T/TH mornings so she can just go with you when you take your kids to school if that's possible (or works better for you). I know how hard it must be for a 3yo to get attached to the craft and not want to leave her friends once they are there. Elisa is much like me wants to be involved in lots of stuff and will feel left out if she is not included.

See you later!
Annie

MamaMolly
12-02-2009, 12:16 PM
You handled it well. And I can understand her reasons why, but I think it would have been best for her to call you first. Sounds like it won't be happening again though!

carolinamama
12-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the responses. I have cooled down a bit and I have to say that in the last three years we've been sending DD to daycare I've never had an issue with my DCP. I feel very blessed to have found her. I trust her decisions when it comes to the care of my child almost blind folded (if that makes sens); she could honestly be a stand in mom for Elisa if needed.

Preschool is off site from daycare (about 3 miles away) as daycare is in the DCP's private home. DCP drives her to preschool and picks her up. It's the only way we can use this preschool as it's part time and doesn't start until 9 am. I really don't want to move Elisa to a full day preschool set up because her little best buddy is still at the daycare (he's six mos. younger) and it's the only daycare that she's ever been to, and honestly we are very happy with the care. Now if something were to happen and her best friend no longer attends the daycare (but I honestly don't see that happening) then next summer I might look at putting her in a pre K program at a local Montessori, but again that would be a last resort and we are no way thinking we are in last resort status now.

Response from DCP:

"Just heard your message. ELISA didn't want to go bc we were doing gingerbread stuff. It was my fault. Next time we won't let her see what we are doing before she goes. I apologize."

My response to DCP:
No problem I was just a little surprised when she said she didn't go because she talks about wanting to go to preschool all weekend. Also I told Chris (my DH) that it might be easier if she get there by 7:30 on T/TH mornings so she can just go with you when you take your kids to school if that's possible (or works better for you). I know how hard it must be for a 3yo to get attached to the craft and not want to leave her friends once they are there. Elisa is much like me wants to be involved in lots of stuff and will feel left out if she is not included.

See you later!
Annie

Your daycare situation sounds great! Glad she responded like that since it would bother me too if my child didn't go when it is what we planned for her. If that is the only blip you've had in 3 years, I think it is excusable :)

DebbieJ
12-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Glad it got resolved!