PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a new single stroller.

MamaMolly
12-01-2009, 11:44 PM
MIL bought our first stroller, a Graco. Not what I'd have chosen but the price was right :). DH and I agree we need to replace it. We just unpacked it from our move, and the tires are wobbily and it is getting hard to push (yay! At last!!!!:banana: took long enough!) We are now living in an area with a lot of sand and bad sidewalks when they exist. I'd like something strong and reliable, with big tires. Small fold isn't a big deal because we have a Pilot. I wouldn't put it in the car much anyway, this would be for daily walks out and about.

Anyway, DD2 is on the way in April and DD1 will be 3.5 yo at the time. I don't think we'd get enough use out of a double stroller to justify the expense (for the kind I'd want/need). So help me spend my money on a really good single. I'm looking to go less than $500. Near to it or over and DH would choke.

:applause: ETA: I need a big, big sunshade that I can move around. The one on the Graco was fixed at the back and skimpy. I don't want to have to drape a blanker on this stroller to block out the sun...

TIA!

WatchingThemGrow
12-01-2009, 11:57 PM
So this would not be a car stroller, right? Just outdoors? I'd get a BJ Summit 360. They're at BBB and the seatback should be tall enough for either of your DC, whereas a BOB prob. wouldn't fit your older one very well.

arivecchi
12-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Look into the Valco Trimode as well. We love ours and you can add a toddler seat and a toddler board to it! Tall seatbacks and the stroller is strong as a tank. Really great steering and super comfy for the kiddos. The new ones have larger canopies.

newnewsmama
12-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Mountain Buggy Urban Jungle
Valco Trimode
BOB Revolution
BabyJogger City Elite or Summit XL (their 2010 new model).

bubbaray
12-02-2009, 12:09 PM
MBUS. Could have been my only. 17 strollers later, LOL.

MamaMolly
12-02-2009, 12:20 PM
MBUS. Could have been my only. 17 strollers later, LOL.

:bag what is an MBUS? Spell it out for the former Graco owners...:)

MamaMolly
12-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Look into the Valco Trimode as well. We love ours and you can add a toddler seat and a toddler board to it! Tall seatbacks and the stroller is strong as a tank. Really great steering and super comfy for the kiddos. The new ones have larger canopies.

SUNSHADE! How could I have forgotten that on my wish list? Must, must, must have a really good sunshade that I can move around to cover the Bunchkin. I hated draping a blanket over the effin' Graco...

arivecchi
12-02-2009, 01:45 PM
SUNSHADE! How could I have forgotten that on my wish list? Must, must, must have a really good sunshade that I can move around to cover the Bunchkin. I hated draping a blanket over the effin' Graco... That would rule out the Mountain Buggy then. The one fault of that stroller is that the canopy is super skimpy. Bobs and Baby Joggers normally have the best canopies, but the new Valcos are supposed to have canopies that extend all the way to the bumper bar (they come with the bumper bar, rain cover & tire pump). Also, my Valco still looks brand new after 3 years of use in slush, snow & rain. I don't like how the fabric in the Bobs looks worn, but that is just a small pet peeve of mine. Bobs also have shorter seatbacks. I would go Baby Jogger or Valco, but that is JMHO. :)

http://www.letsgostrolling.com/valco-trimode-runabout.html

AnnieW625
12-02-2009, 01:53 PM
I'd look at an Uppa Baby Vista (we currently have one and love it!; you may not need all of the features though like the bassinet if you don't plan on having more kids), a Baby Jogger City Elite, a Bob Rev. Single (if you run at all this a great all around stroller; an only for some friends until they had their second kid and now I think they got the double version), or the Valco Tri Mode.

PeppyParents
12-02-2009, 02:06 PM
SUNSHADE! How could I have forgotten that on my wish list? Must, must, must have a really good sunshade that I can move around to cover the Bunchkin. I hated draping a blanket over the effin' Graco...

Hi,

Based on everything you want, I suggest you wait until the new Baby Jogger Summit XC comes out in early 2010. There's a brief intro of it at http://stroller411.com/blog/21/baby-jogger-summit-xc-2010/

It's replacing the Summit 360.

The canopy is going to be much nicer on the Summit XC, along with a couple other things.

HTH!

bubbaray
12-02-2009, 02:45 PM
:bag what is an MBUS? Spell it out for the former Graco owners...:)

Mountain Buggy Urban Single. They have renamed it as the MBUJungle, but its the same stroller pretty much. It seriously could have been my only. The only stroller I've sold so far that I was truly sad to see it go (but we weren't using it and it was taking up space).

MamaMolly
12-02-2009, 11:29 PM
OMG the Uppa Baby Vista. :loveeyes: :heartbeat: :loveeyes: I'm going to have to start a fund for this. DH just about swallowed his tongue at the price. Well, I know what I'm going to ask Santa for this Christmas!

Oh, and FWIW any ideas on how this compared to the Peg Perego Skate? I saw one on Albee Baby that was a great price, and seems to have similar features. I haven't heard anything about the Skate.

TIA!

WatchingThemGrow
12-03-2009, 12:00 AM
OMG the Uppa Baby Vista. :loveeyes: :heartbeat: :loveeyes: I'm going to have to start a fund for this. DH just about swallowed his tongue at the price. Well, I know what I'm going to ask Santa for this Christmas!

OT, but I never thought of asking for a stroller for Christmas :)

MamaMolly
12-03-2009, 01:22 PM

I'm annoyingly practical sometimes. In college I asked my dad for a vacuum and then the next year for Revere pots and pans. Over the years I've asked DH for good kitchen knives and a sewing machine for Christmas.

:shrug: Cluttery junk I don't need and can't really use makes me batty. Even worse is the thought of all that money going to something I'm just going to take to Goodwill. Give me something I can use and would really like to have? I'm a happy Mama!

jacksmoma
12-03-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm annoyingly practical sometimes. In college I asked my dad for a vacuum and then the next year for Revere pots and pans. Over the years I've asked DH for good kitchen knives and a sewing machine for Christmas.

:shrug: Cluttery junk I don't need and can't really use makes me batty. Even worse is the thought of all that money going to something I'm just going to take to Goodwill. Give me something I can use and would really like to have? I'm a happy Mama!

lol i totally agree! I always pick my own presents (even as a child) so i get something i truely need/want and not some junk i'll end up tossing...

AnnieW625
12-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Hi,

Based on everything you want, I suggest you wait until the new Baby Jogger Summit XC comes out in early 2010. There's a brief intro of it at http://stroller411.com/blog/21/baby-jogger-summit-xc-2010/

It's replacing the Summit 360.

The canopy is going to be much nicer on the Summit XC, along with a couple other things.

HTH!

So any idea when it will actually be in stores? I need a double jogger that will work with my 4 yr. old once the baby is here (next May). Most of the joggers out these days don't seem to have lots of headroom for taller kids, but BJ ones seem to be popular. I though the Ironman would work, but the guy at REI said it's the same frame as the Revolution so I am assuming it's the same height in the seats. I am a light jogger. Any input would be great.

Oh, and FWIW any ideas on how this compared to the Peg Perego Skate? I saw one on Albee Baby that was a great price, and seems to have similar features. I haven't heard anything about the Skate.

TIA!

I was ready to start a fund for the Vista too last Spring when I found one on Craigslist. I spent $400 on it and have been very happy with it. Check there first! Also the 2009 models might still be on clearance for around

I played with the Peg Perego Skate at the baby store and it's heavy, seems a tad cumbersome, and really overkill.

chozen
12-03-2009, 04:26 PM
i know they have quit making them but they seem to be good strollers i saw someone with one the other day and asked her about it ,she really likes it and they have alot of head room and i think you can get a good deal on one right now.:)

AnnieW625
12-03-2009, 06:28 PM
FWIW, Peg Perego still makes the Skate, I think it's just not a big seller so you don't see it around a lot or it's on clearance. It was $800 in 2008 when it came out and the Bugaboo in the same price range so I bet that's why it sells more.
http://www.pegperego.com/page.php?sid=6ae9c5cb08f7a64b277faeabc7c007ec&pageid=UJVNL001&idf=08&idp=0000000192&cl=N

I don't know why they just don't bring back the Venezia, that was such a perfect do everything carriage stroller. It's been replaced by the Uno now, which seems nice and probably the only Peg stroller I'd consider buying:
http://www.pegperego.com/page.php?sid=6ae9c5cb08f7a64b277faeabc7c007ec&pageid=UJVNL001&idf=08&idp=0000000194&cl=N

Also you might also look at the Inglesina Zippy, it's not a reverse handle stroller, but it's a very nice carriage stroller.

MamaMolly
12-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Also you might also look at the Inglesina Zippy, it's not a reverse handle stroller, but it's a very nice carriage stroller.

Ok, the great irony is that the Zippy was the one I was going to buy when DD was born! But then MIL offered and we were B.R.O.K.E. Beggars can't be choosers and all...but this time I have more disposable income, plus I'm not buying very much other stuff for this bunchkin, so I feel like I can splurge.

Hmmmm. Off to research the Zippy again...Oh rats, the tires are too small. I've got to have big ones. Maybe the Vista after all...;)

strollerqueen
12-04-2009, 04:13 AM

Always. I always ask for a stroller for Christmas, birthday, anniversary, you name it! :cheerleader1::love-retry::ROTFLMAO:

strollerqueen
12-04-2009, 04:18 AM
Annie, check out the double Tike Tech. I have seen some NIB on EBay for under $300. I have not tried the fixed wheel one, but the push on the swivel wheel is fantastic. You can PM if you would like to know more. And BIG CONGRATS on your pg, btw. I can say it now, right? :cheerleader1::bighand::applause::yay: