PDA

View Full Version : Questionable Gross question about BreastFeeding

czekit7
12-02-2009, 12:06 AM
OK, seriously, I don't know if this is an inappropriate question, but since I don't actually know you all, I won't feel TOO weird.

I've noticed that I'm leaking a little (nipple-wise), but not due until 12/27. Can this leakage be pumped? Can I get ahead of the game? Some say that "nipple stimulation" can cause premature labor, but then others say that it's a myth...so would it hurt to pump??

Any thoughts?

happymom
12-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Hmm, I'm not really sure but I just wanted to reassure that its not an inapprpriate questiona at all!

Personally, I would be concerned about bringing on labor. But someone else will prob have better advice.

Momof3Labs
12-02-2009, 12:13 AM
I absolutely would not pump on your own while pregnant because of the risk of triggering contractions. Maybe it's a myth but why risk it - not like you'd get much anyways.

Katigre
12-02-2009, 12:16 AM
It's probably colostrum. If you want to try pumping then you can go for it but don't count on getting much. It might be uncomfortable too.

Safety-wise, pumping would be like nursing and lots of moms nurse while pregnant safely. Nipple stimulation will only cause premature labor if your body is already gearing up for labor (which is why it's safe to nurse during pregnancy and that won't bring on contractions until the baby is ready to be born. The exception to this is if you're dealing with preterm labor, and then you're advised to wean to prevent further stimulation of the uterus via the nursing hormones).

SnuggleBuggles
12-02-2009, 12:16 AM
I wouldn't do it. Your body will make plenty when the baby arrives...supply and demand. :)

Nipple stimulation and labor- the scientific explanation I know is that nipple stim can release oxytocin, which causes contractions. In reality, it isn't very good at inducing labor. It can be good at augmenting labor that is already going but is a bit slowly or just needs a nudge. Still not something I would willing try, especially at 35 weeks. I don't think I'd do it at all pre-baby just because your nipples will be sensitive from bf'ing soon enough (some tenderness is normal, despite what the books say); might as well start with a clean slate.

Beth

citymama
12-02-2009, 01:05 AM
I absolutely wouldn't pump for the reasons mentioned above - plus pumping stimulates more milk supply! Instead I'd buy some nursing pads (Lansinoh is a good brand) and use those to stay dry. This is a good sign - you're going to be a good milk-producer!

Fairy
12-02-2009, 02:13 AM
I am not the breast officionado around here, but I did want to just pipe in to say that there are waaaaay groser questions around here. Honestly, it is really hard to offend, ward off, or otherwise gross us out with TMI (Too Much Information). No worries, ask away. Cuz it's only gonna get grosser from here.

elektra
12-02-2009, 02:20 AM
I would NOT pump. Nipple stimulation causes contractions and stresses the baby. I had to do this in a doctors office as part of some high risk prenatal monitoring (talk about disturbing!)

Sweetum
12-02-2009, 03:20 AM
first time mom? being the mom of a 10 month old, I feel I've seen it all! yep, gets grosser, so this is nothing....seriously, NOTHING!

Good luck!! and let the questions flow...

-SunshineAndMe

DrSally
12-02-2009, 11:49 AM
It's prob leaking colostrum that's totally normal. I wouldn't pump for fear of bringing on contractions. Maybe you can start wearing some nursing pads if it leaks through your bra/shirt. You don't want to to sit in a moist bra for too long or you'll get yeast growth. I personally love cloth nursing pads for the comfort, cost, and waste issues.

ETA: I agree, it's a good sign! At least you'll know the colostrum will be ready and waiting when the baby arrives!

longtallsally05
12-02-2009, 06:04 PM
It's colostrum; don't pump it! You might trigger pre-term contractions, and the jury is still out on whether we make a finite amount of colostrum or whether we continue to produce it until a few days post partum. Health risks to baby aside, if I were you I'd hate to take a chance on wasting colostrum.

Sweetum
12-02-2009, 08:05 PM
here's an idea - can you drip into a bottle or a freezer bag for BM? That way you may be able to give it to your DC after birth, if required.

Anyone want to comment on this?

Dr C
12-02-2009, 09:09 PM
You think you're leaking now... wait till about a week or two after you deliver when you are armed with twin super-soakers every time you let down!

DrSally
12-02-2009, 09:25 PM
It's colostrum; don't pump it! You might trigger pre-term contractions, and the jury is still out on whether we make a finite amount of colostrum or whether we continue to produce it until a few days post partum. Health risks to baby aside, if I were you I'd hate to take a chance on wasting colostrum.

That's interesting. I was bfing my toddler when DD was born (and tandem bf them for 6 months). I was psyched b/c I thought I wouldn't have the same trauma of waiting 4 full days for my milk to come in like I did with DS (inducing dehydration related jaundice). However, I still had to wait 3 full days for it to come in. I swear there was no colostrum there. I guess DS had been nursing dry for the last several months of my preg. Anyway, I know LLL and Kellymom say that you'll still have colostrum if you nurse while preg, but I swear I didn't have any. I was so jealous of the mom's who had pumped whole ounces of colostrum. I ended up having to supplement the first 2 weeks. Sorry for the sidetrack.