PDA

View Full Version : CA Folks: Q re: Changes to Personal Income Taxes

ha98ed14
12-02-2009, 12:19 AM
About 2 months ago (?), DH got a letter with his payroll stub that said that the personal income tax rates for CA were going up and it was reflected (or would be in the future) in his withholdings. He just got paid today, and there is another note in with the payroll stub saying that since the passage of Assembly Bill x4_17, the State provided new withholding charts for employers and for any pay checks issues after Nov 1, these new tables would be used to calculate the withholdings.

My question is: Is this a second increase in the personal income taxes, or just an implementation of the one we got notified about a month (or two) ago? TIA!

ha98ed14
12-02-2009, 11:44 AM
:BUMP: Anyone? TIA!

dhano923
12-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Ca state tax withholding went up slightly on November 1. This is a different increase from the one over the summer. It's very slight -- you'll see a difference of just a few dollars.

vonfirmath
12-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Ca state tax withholding went up slightly on November 1. This is a different increase from the one over the summer. It's very slight -- you'll see a difference of just a few dollars.

Just the withholding? Or also the taxes due? I wonder if this has to do with their current financial problems.

rlu
12-02-2009, 01:07 PM
The state accelerated the withholding effective 11/1/09.

AnnieW625
12-02-2009, 01:12 PM
I don't get the whole thing honestly. I used this calculator from my work to figure out what mine was going to be and it was maybe $10 more, if that. I already have an additional $50 taken out of my check a month to avoid having to pay too much state tax so I don't notice a difference. If you make more than something like over $40K to $50K in CA you are pretty close to the top tax bracket so it really doesn't matter how much you make each year. If you make over $1,000,000 a year then you pay 1% more each year for a mental health tax.
Tax Chart from UCLA: http://map.ais.ucla.edu/go/1002763
Paycheck Calculator from State of Califonia Controller's Office:
http://www.sco.ca.gov/ppsd_se_paycheck_calc.html (not sure if this will work for non state employees because it might be tied to pension rates and such)