PDA

View Full Version : Cookies for Cookie Exchange

carolinamama
12-02-2009, 10:52 AM
I am contemplating committing to a cookie exchange where I will need 3 dozen cookies to take. I always bake cookies for Christmas but have never done such a highly organized exchange. What type is good for making 3 dozen? And I have to be able to do this while I have two kids underfoot since it is on a Thursday morning so I don't want anything too difficult.

Any suggestions?

L'sMommy
12-02-2009, 11:40 AM
I've been doing a cookie exchange for the last 4 years, and I usually make sugar cookies with red and green coarse sugar. People love them and I think they are fairly easy to make. Last year, when I was 8 mos pregnant I tried ginger cookies, and they were ok. Sugar cookies are better. This year I am making a typical choc. chip cookie, but will use cranberries and white chocolate. If I am trying a new recipe I do a trial run to see whether the recipe is easy/difficult.

Whatever you decide to bake, have fun!! This is one of my favorite holiday activities (DH thinks it's crazy that I make time for this).

ourbabygirl
12-02-2009, 11:45 AM
I love cut-out sugar cookies (with powdered sugar, milk, and almond flavored frosting), but they are very time-intensive. At our cookie baking day this weekend, we're going to make those, possibly some toffee (you can find simple recipes online), peanut butter w/Hershey's kisses in the middle, and I'm not sure what else.

Have fun!

infomama
12-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Bar cookies are the easiest followed by drop cookies IMO.

MamaMolly
12-02-2009, 11:48 AM
For ease, I'd go for drop cookies instead of something you had to roll and cut. I like the PP's suggestion of jazzing up a regular cookie to make it more festive, so maybe adding bits of candied ginger to oatmeal cookies or the white chocolate and cranberry for the not-so-chocolate chip ones would be yummy. And festive! :)

My easiest cookie ever is to take the chocolate bark coating (white or dark), melt it, dip Oreos in and then before it hardens sprinkle crushed candy canes on top. Looks fancy, tastes great, and super duper easy. You can also dip peanutbutter crackers (homemade or store bought like Ritz Bitz). Those get gobbled up fast!! If you want to dress them up I'd suggest regular holiday colored candy sprinkles, not the mint ones though.

Do you have to have 3 dozen of the same kind or one dozen of 3 kinds or does it matter?

kristenk
12-02-2009, 01:04 PM
You didn't ask for a recipe, but I'm going to give you one anyway. :wink2:

My mother has been raving about this cookies ever since my sister made them. She's taken them to various church events and who knows what and they are always a hit. DH and I finally tried them over Thanksgiving and they are truly fabulous. They somehow manage to be a little bit crispy and a little bit chewy even after they've been completely cooled so they would be easy to make the night before and you wouldn't have to worry about a decline in quality. They're ginger cookies and I think they're perfect for this time of year. (They don't scream ginger to me, just more spice in general.) Here's the recipe:

Ginger Cookies

1 1/2 sticks butter
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup dark molasses
1 egg

Melt butter in a 3-quart heavy saucepan. Cool until tepid.

Strain together 3 times (or sift) flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves. Set aside.

Using a wooden spoon, stir sugar, dark molasses and egg into the butter. Add the dry ingredients one-half at a time and blend well. Cover with wax paper and chill for 30-45 minutes.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter cookie sheets. Shape dough into 1-inch balls then roll them around in granulated sugar (note: Mom had written cinnamon-sugar, but I'm not sure which she used). (If you can find larger grain sparkling sugar, use that). No need to press the balls down. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.

Cook 8 – 10 minutes or until the tops begin to crack. Toward the end of the baking time, rotate the pans from top to bottom and front to back. Remove from oven and let stand 2-3 minutes before removing from cookie sheet.

carolinamama
12-02-2009, 01:10 PM
You didn't ask for a recipe, but I'm going to give you one anyway. :wink2:

Thank you! I may just make these. I always do lots of sugar cookie cut-outs that I decorate and it takes so long that I don't think I have the time nor sanity to do 3 dozen.

I knew I would get lots of good suggestions here! You guys are awesome.