PDA

View Full Version : Current thinking on when to introduce nuts and shellfish?

Momit
12-02-2009, 11:30 AM
DS is 16 months old and we have no food allergies in our family. Our ped in California told us to wait until age 3 to introduce nuts and shellfish. I believe I heard that some recent studies indicated that it may be better to introduce them earlier, since many countries do that and have fewer food allergies than the US.

I asked our ped here in Germany about waiting until age 3 and he looked at me kind of funny, but I'm not sure if it's the language barrier or the fact that he thinks it's strange to wait until age 3.

Fairy
12-02-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm afraid I don't have much of an answer for you. But I can tell you that I don't know many people besides me who stuck to what the conventional wisdom was on introducing nuts back in 2004 when my DS was born. Every single one of my friends and family thought I was insane. I was terrified of nut allergies. Not so much shellfish, but then the studies said that there was a higher incidence of peanut and tree nut allergies with kids that were introduced to nuts before age 3 than in kids whose first introduction was after that age. So, I waited. I was very, very careful, and DS even knew, "we do not eat nuts." And he didn't. Till age 3.5, we gave him a snickers bar and hershey bar with almonds at the doctor's office on two separate days, and he was fine. Second attempt with peanut butter, and he hated it -- and was also fine.

Now, the studies say the opposite, that after age 1 but before age 3 is possibly better. Hmm. I wasn't sure what to make of that when I heard it. I did exactly what the doctors were saying was best, no one else I knew with similarly aged kids were doing that, they thought it was bunk, and I was like, what is wrong with you people! And they thought I was nuts. So, I was an island in this practice. And now even the studies are saying no, as well.

I have no idea what the right answer is, and honestly, I'm not sure the doctors are all that sure, either. Look at the reaction from one country to the next! What I do know is that way more food allergies exist today than when we were kids. DS had a very questionable reaction to a piece of toast containing ground walnuts in it when he was 18mo but now is fine with nut products, and I can also tell you that he hates nuts of all kinds. I've tried giving him peanut butter and candy with nuts, and he wants *no* part of it. And *I* did that to him. My neuroses and fears visited upon him created an aversion to nuts in him. He can eat them, he just refuses. Maybe my fears were justified, maybe they were irrational, I just don't know. If I had it all to do over again, I would probably contact a pediatric allergist or two and get their opinions.

I don't regret doing it the way I did it, but I don't know what the right answer is. This probably doesn't help you make a decision, but I hope it helps validate that you're not alone in this frustration.

-- Fairy

Katigre
12-02-2009, 01:04 PM
What's so hard about this topic is that there's no general consensus and it feels like a total crapshoot to me.

Here's a link that has some of the most current information:
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/forbiddenbabyfood.htm

I did follow the 'age 1-2' for nuts, I think we waited until he was 2 or 3 for shellfish (we don't eat it very often so I think it just wasn't much of an option until we were at someone's house and he tried it).

maybeebaby08
12-02-2009, 01:09 PM
We introduced DD to peanut butter before age 1, and had no problems and we introduced shellfish at 15 months and have had no problems either. I think you have to go with what you feel is right, as there's so much back and forth on it.

Melanie
12-02-2009, 01:12 PM
I don't recall shellfish, but we stuck to age 2 for peanuts for Ds and Dd. NO one in my family or Dh's has a peanut allergy but we did it anyway. At age 2 when we gave Dd her first peanut butter pretzel - she was allergic. :( We did other nut butters before age 2. After two accidental exposures to her brother's peanut butter sandwich now we all just have almond butter. It's better for you anyway.

SnuggleBuggles
12-02-2009, 01:20 PM
We introduced DD to peanut butter before age 1, and had no problems and we introduced shellfish at 15 months and have had no problems either. I think you have to go with what you feel is right, as there's so much back and forth on it.
:yeahthat: I agree with that and that is what we did as well. So far no problems and he is 2yo.

When ds1 was little all the research was saying wait till 3 but at his 1yo check up the ped said peanut butter was fine. I almost left the practice over that. But, now I agree with that when there was no allergy in our family.

Beth

maestramommy
12-02-2009, 02:59 PM
It seems like the info has changed back and forth a couple of times since Dora was born. So we just go with our instincts. We don't have allergies in our family (I thought), so Dora got peanut butter at 14 months, and she started eating roasted peanuts at around 15-16 months. We did take her off pb for a little while because it seemed to be a little too rich for her. Her poop was getting a little too pasty. Arwyn same thing, except she didn't seem to have a problem.

Shellfish was probably later, but that is more due to not eating shellfish that often ourselves. In fact, the first time was probably when we had pork and shrimp dumplings during Dim Sum!

I did suddenly remember months later that my mom's brother is allergic to nuts, as are 2 of his kids. Not severely. But one gets digestive upsets, and the other got a rash next day from eating a lot of macadamia nuts. Woops! But still, our kids are okay, so we just stuck with it.

mommyp
12-02-2009, 04:24 PM
We did peanut butter around 15 months (no allergy history on either side). No problems here and she's almost 2 now. DD has had lots of fish, but no shellfish yet now that I think of it, we don't have it that often. We'll probably give that a try sometime soon. It is hard to know what to do, I just made sure that when I offered it the first time, it was earlier in the day so we'd be able to get to the ped if necessary.

DrSally
12-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Like others have said, I think it really depends on whether there's a hx of allergies (any kind) in your family. If there is, then they say to go with the most conservative guidelines (3 for peanuts and shellfish I believe). If not, it depends on who you talk to. Some say 2, ours says 3 for everyone, just to be safe. DH's side has a hx of milk allergy and seasonal allergies. DS is allergic to peanuts, and used to be allergic to eggs, milk, and mustard. I have been extremely cautious with intro new foods to DD. Of course, after you've witnessed one baby going through anaphalaxis over 2 oz of similac, then it changes your perception.

tnrnchick74
12-02-2009, 09:58 PM
My allergist has currently recommended for my DS (allergic to milk/milk protein) to not introduce nuts of any kind until 2. Shellfish he says 2-3. We are going to do a scratch test/food challenge in the office for nuts because of my extreme nut allergies. We will try the nuts *I'm* NOT allergic to (peanuts, walnuts, pecans)...and if no reaction, then scratch test to see if there are reactions to the nuts I AM allergic to. He won't be eating those at all because of me :)

brittone2
12-02-2009, 10:35 PM
We still err on the side of 2-3. With DS I waited until 3 for nuts and shellfish.

DS was sensitive to dairy (even through breastmilk) until he was over 1. No history of food allergies that we were aware of at the time, but Dh and I both have seasonal allergies.

Fast forward, DH had a few strange episodes of hives a few years back and got some allergy testing. His numbers came back high for dairy although he's asymptomatic for dairy...so the thought is that maybe he had a dairy allergy as a young child and outgrew it. His parents introduced dairy to him *very* early FWIW. They told us several times about how he was "never satisfied" as an infant and they gave him yogurt in a bottle (apparently they cut a hole in the nipple?) when he was like 4 months old. Not sure if the early exposure triggered anything in his case, but interesting.

With DD I waited until she was over 2 for nuts and shellfish.

Momit
12-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks for all the informative replies. I guess it makes me feel better that others are also torn over this issue!

JBaxter
12-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Jack had both by a year. DH had a dairy a intollerence as a child but no other allergies. ( well MIL but we wont go there).

He was introduced either by accident ( ds3 feeding him pb&j or by grabbing it and eating it himself) No issues.

With my first 2 I had never heard of a peanut allergy so they pb&j by 1 ish also