PDA

View Full Version : what are your thoughts concerning pvc and children.

chozen
12-02-2009, 12:31 PM
i am looking at a wooden kitchen for christmas and i noticed that one of the things its made of is pvc im thinking its in the laminate. dont they use phthalates to make pvc? and since im pretty sure thats how they made the laminate she will be in contact with it and the fumes from it, do you think this is safe?

AnnieW625
12-02-2009, 12:52 PM
I am not overly concerned about PVC although I'd much prefer something that's wood over plastic in the first place because it looks nicer and will last longer. If you really like the kitchen and it fits your budget it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I think there is a large portion of the mommy community and lots of posters here that would say it's an absolute no no. I could possibly be the lone person who thinks the way I do here, but that's just me.

As an example after the BPA issue came out when my daughter was about a year I didn't recycle my Avent bottles that had BPA in them because I didn't have the money to replace them with the BPA Born Free bottles (the only ones on the market at the time) which were 50% more in cost than the Avent ones. I know moms who threw out their perfectly good Avent and Dr. Browns bottles because of the BPA scare. Once DD had mastered the sippy cup we did get her a Klean Kanteen, but she was still using her Avent cups as sippy cups (by then she was only drinking cold liquids in them anyways). Now for #2 because BPA free options are more affordable plus glass bottles are also an option again I will most likely use glass at first (which I would've done with DD had they been more readily available) and then switch to a BPA free Avent bottle or sippy cup once baby can hold bottle (and possibly throw the bottle).

Just my .02!

brittone2
12-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Which kitchen? I can't imagine PVC is the bulk of the material used?

wellyes
12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
The manufactoring of PVC is truly nasty business, but I don't think the use of it is a big deal.

chozen
12-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Which kitchen? I can't imagine PVC is the bulk of the material used?

it is a kidkraft kitchen. on there website it list pvc, i dont think that it is the bulk of the material i do think that it is in the laminate.

brittone2
12-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Could it also be something like the faucet is made of PVC?

I just did a search and saw mention of PVC "t-molding" in the kidkraft. I looked at what T-molding was and it mentions it is often used in trim/edging?

I don't have a KK kitchen but maybe someone here can tell you if there is like a plastic edging on the doors or kitchen itself? That might be where the PVC is.

eta: FWIW, in the grand scheme of things probably not a big deal IMO. MDF itself offgasses and often contains formaldehyde so if you are that worried about the PVC potentially offgassing, you might not want to do MDF either, kwim? If the MDF doesn't bother you, then the PVC probably isn't much different.

chozen
12-02-2009, 01:53 PM
a kitchen that doesnt contain pvc or mdf at a fair price $200.00 range?

brittone2
12-02-2009, 02:26 PM
We have an Elves and Angels. I think we found it w/ free shipping (so shop around) before Christmas one year. Not everyone's style but we like it.

http://www.novanatural.com/elves-angels/wooden-kitchens/juliannas-kitchen

There are some great threads w/ kitchens in the Around the House forum.

here are some others:
http://www.threesisterstoys.com/c-3-kitchen-store-play.aspx
http://www.bellalunatoys.com/houseplay/items/playkitchens/squirrelkitchen.htm

AnnieW625
12-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Brittone, thanks for the Elves and Angels link at Nova Toys that's exactly what I am looking for for DD! We are going to put it in her room (which is a about 10x10 at most) so we will need something that is space concious. I also like the looks of the Christina kitchen.