PDA

View Full Version : What does Tooth Fairy leave for first tooth?

Ceepa
12-02-2009, 12:48 PM
DC1 is about to lose the first one so I stopped by the bank and picked up a gold dollar coin. Last night I hear, "I hope I get $5 for my tooth." Apparently the going rate is $5 with DC's friends.

DH and I laughed because we planned to do a dollar (and a bookmark or some small token) and then give the kids quarters for each tooth after the first one. Are we behind the times? I guess our Tooth Fairy is a miser. :p

khm
12-02-2009, 12:50 PM
When my oldest lost her first, it was a total surprise. So, she got $5 b/c it was all we had! We explained that the first one gets $5, but the others probably would be $1. ;) And, they have been $1.

Tondi G
12-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Ours left $5 in golden dollar coins... each other tooth has been 2 dollar coins in the little tooth fairy pillow pocket.

Ceepa
12-02-2009, 12:51 PM
When my oldest lost her first, it was a total surprise. So, she got $5 b/c it was all we had! We explained that the first one gets $5, but the others probably would be $1. ;) And, they have been $1.

I guess DH and I are still working off our 1970s and 80s finance scales. :ROTFLMAO: Maybe we should make it a dollar per tooth.

AnnieW625
12-02-2009, 12:55 PM
We always got a quarter for our teeth. I honestly think that $5 per tooth is absolutely absurd. I think I got a dollar for some mollars when I was older but I am fine with giving DD pocket change whens he looses her teeth.

SnuggleBuggles
12-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Well, I was going to give $5 but then ds came home from school and apparently the going rate is a half dollar! Guess $ value didn't come into play!

I bought $1 coins for future teeth but he refused to trade them in. He preferred to keep them.

Beth

katydid1971
12-02-2009, 01:23 PM
My DC aren't at this stage yet but when I taught 1st grade one of my students asked me to help him write a note to the tooth fairy asking for $20. He got it! When the time comes I think I'll try and get some $1 coins for DC.

bluestar2
12-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Since they are unusual,

happymomma
12-02-2009, 01:41 PM
OMG, in my area the going rate is at least $20 for the first tooth. I like the golden coin idea though.

egoldber
12-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Sarah got $5. The tooth fairy explained in a nice note that this was an extra special surpise becasue she had waited soooo long to lose her first tooth (she was 7). After that it has been a $1.

lizzywednesday
12-02-2009, 01:53 PM
My family always gave $1 regardless of whether it was your 1st lost tooth or not.

Requesting it in quarters became a habit of mine to buy that slime stuff at those quarter vending machines at the grocery store. (Incidentally, my brothers followed suit.)

gatorsmom
12-02-2009, 02:49 PM
I give a dollar for everytooth. I give $2 if the tooth had to be pulled (to make room for more incoming teeth) because that took a little extra bravery and effort. :D

sarahsthreads
12-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Sarah got $5. The tooth fairy explained in a nice note that this was an extra special surpise becasue she had waited soooo long to lose her first tooth (she was 7). After that it has been a $1.

I think this is what we'll be doing. Dollar coins for each tooth, but something extra plus a note for the first one because she'll have waited so long. DD1 is only 5, but she cut her teeth really late (she had exactly two for her first birthday) so it will likely be another couple of years before they start falling out. And they make *such* a big deal over it in school that DD1 keeps coming to me and asking me to check her teeth to see if any are loose. She's the only one in her K/1 class that hasn't lost at least one tooth yet. :(

Growing up I think we got mostly quarters - maybe a dollar bill if the tooth fairy was out of quarters that night. I was in high school before I lost my last baby tooth, and well aware that the tooth fairy was my parents, but I still stuck it under my pillow and I think maybe that time I got a few dollars. ;)

Sarah :)

egoldber
12-02-2009, 03:12 PM
And they make *such* a big deal over it in school that DD1 keeps coming to me and asking me to check her teeth to see

They did this at Sarah's school, too.....for K and 1st. :( But nothing for second graders which is when she lost her first tooth. Irritating. And she even lost the tooth at lunch! Fortunately, they did save it and send it home. :ROTFLMAO:

ETA: Sarah was also a late teether, no teeth until she was 15 months. She only recently lost tooth #5.

essnce629
12-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Conner got $4 for his first tooth and $2 for his second. We'll continue to do $2 for each additional tooth.

HIU8
12-02-2009, 03:57 PM
I guess I'm really behind. DS has 6 loose teeth about to come out very soon. We were going to do $1 for the first one and $0.25 for all others.

KrisM
12-02-2009, 04:19 PM
DS got a $1 bill and a $1 bicentenial coin for his first and just the $1 bill for the second. I have 2 more bicentenial dollars put away for the other kids.

ThreeofUs
12-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Erm, I'm dating myself, but when I was losing teeth in the 70s, I got at least $2 per tooth, frequently $5 or $10.

It all went into my piggy bank, from where my big brother would promptly steal it. :shake:

vonfirmath
12-02-2009, 07:53 PM
I got $1 for my first tooth and a quarter for most of the others growing up. (Later teeth may have been more expensive).

We've got a few years before we have to worry about it. but I suspect if that was the going rate 30 years ago, we probably need to give a bit more now...

crl
12-02-2009, 07:54 PM
I was going to do a dollar, but DH said I was being a cheapskate. So we did five, and we've done five for the others too. I think that's pretty much the going rate in our house now. (DS was hoping for a present because that's what happens in some book--I think a Franklin--but I wasn't up for being that organized.)

Catherine

hellokitty
12-03-2009, 12:36 AM
For DS1's first lost tooth, he got a lego bionicle. He thought it was sooo cool. I did tell him that it was just a special, "first tooth" gift and after that he would get $. He gets a dollar for each of his other baby teeth.

kijip
12-03-2009, 12:43 AM
I don't know what we will do. T is 6 and 1/2 and it will be a year, maybe more before he loses one most likely. Like Beth's Sarah he got his first teeth when he was 15 months - October after his June b-day. I am thinking $1 per tooth, nothing special for the first one but maybe I will change my mind. I reckon I have time. My teeth came out way later than all my friends.

MontrealMum
12-03-2009, 01:13 AM
Oh my goodness I'm glad I read this thread! Not only am I completely out of it for today's Tooth Fairy rates (and we have a few years to go until she visits us!), but I guess my family was out of it in the 70s as well - though I don't recall my friends getting more than I did. I got 10 cents per tooth!