PDA

View Full Version : For those who live where it is cold

MizMojoLaveau
12-02-2009, 02:51 PM
SIL has moved to a colder climate and needs cold weather clothes and gear. I thought I could give a GC for an appropriate store for this type of clothing. Since I live in a mild climate, I don't know what the best chain store is for this type of thing. LL Bean? Lands End? Help:confused:

MizMojoLaveau
12-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Another thought: REI?

catpagmo
12-02-2009, 02:55 PM
REI might be good. They have all sorts of cold weather gear.

DrSally
12-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Any of those, plus Cabellas if she has them.

khalloc
12-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Depends where you are. I am in the northeast and dont have REI anywhere around. I always order from LLBean.

wellyes
12-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Are we talking northern Minnesota cold? Or, like, New York City cold? It makes a big difference. If it's REALLY cold, function over fashion all the way. But I live in Boston & got my winter coat at Ann Taylor.

gatorsmom
12-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Are we talking northern Minnesota cold? Or, like, New York City cold? It makes a big difference. If it's REALLY cold, function over fashion all the way. But I live in Boston & got my winter coat at Ann Taylor.

I agree with this. Also, is the GC for your SIL or her children? I find good, sturdy warm winter clothes for my kids at Kohl's or JCPenney that are reasonably priced. But i bought my winter coats at Macy's and Nordstrom's for me. Mine are warm and fashionable (imho :) ) but Macy's is too expensive for kids' winter clothes that need to be replaced every year for a bigger size.

bubbaray
12-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Yes, I agree, it is regional. Can you post the general area or even state where she lives? If the GC was for someone in NE, I would go with a LLB GC for sure -- there are so many LLB outlets there, plus its just such an "institution" in NE (flagship store in Freeport). If it was for someone in the MW, I'd do LE (though you could do it for anyone with a Sears too). I know there are REIs in various locations, but its definitely more of a PNW thing (flagship store in Seattle).

MizMojoLaveau
12-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the recs. She's in upstate NY.

ett
12-02-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm in the northeast and there is a REI about 20 minutes from me. There are not too many stores around here though.

I think LL Bean or Lands End would be great. I buy clothes for the whole family from both places and they have excellent customer service.

bluestar2
12-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Upstate NY... LLBean!

bubbaray
12-02-2009, 03:31 PM
:yeahthat:

hillview
12-02-2009, 03:35 PM

LOVE LL Bean!

lizzywednesday
12-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the recs. She's in upstate NY.

My friend lives in Saratoga and works P/T at an LL Bean outlet up there; you didn't mention where Upstate your sister moved, but Bean is still a good option.

I also order online from REI, though I prefer Land's End to all 3 because I used to get gift certificates from them through work ... and had to phone in my orders and fell in love with their customer service. (So friendly! I enjoyed speaking with the WI natives with their slight accents so much that this is pretty much the only company I will phone to place an order.)

maestramommy
12-02-2009, 03:56 PM
LL Bean or REI are my favorites. Is there an outlet or store in her area?

jess_g
12-02-2009, 04:01 PM
I would agree with the pp. REI is a great store but I don't think they have many locations around new england. I would say Lands End or LL Bean. Both have great cold weather gear and she can order online or shop in the store.

Jessica.

boltfam
12-02-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm in the MW but I love LE for winter gear and I LOVE their return policy even better!

mariza
12-02-2009, 04:55 PM
I live in MA and though I used to be a die-hard LL Bean shopper, Lands End has won me over. In terms of quality I still think LL bean is a little better, but I find LE has more sales, soupons, free shipping and the fact that they are located in every Sears just makes shopping LE so much easier. HTH!
ETA: LE has the same awesome customer service as LL Bean; they will price adjust if something goes on sale and replace items that I had to return due to small issues (thread coming undone on one of DD's dresses)

mom2binsd
12-02-2009, 04:58 PM
How about a VISA gift card, I find if I have a store specific one that I can never find what I want at that store...then she can use for anywhere. A gc is a gc really, even though the VISA gc seems more like giving cash...

mommylamb
12-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Lands End overstock section is great for really affordable things. I bought DS a VERY warm winter parka for about $25, and winter boots for $11. Now, we're not in a super cold area, but sometimes it gets cold, and it even snows, so I wanted him to have those things witout spending a fortune. I like LLBean too (love their PJs), but I usually prefer Lands End.

ThreeofUs
12-02-2009, 06:15 PM
LLB! LE quality is slowly going downhill, imho.

DrSally
12-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Upstate NY... LLBean!