PDA

View Full Version : Best nursing bra

mylikuliku
12-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Hi!

I am a new mom and currently looking for a good nursing bra to buy.
I know both Bravado and Medela are very popular.
Anyone has good recommendation on this?

robinsmommy
12-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Anitas are my very favorite, but don't invest 'til your size settles a bit - maybe 2 months PP. They are $$, but last forever - we haven't weaned yet, DD is 2.5, and mine are still almost like new. I've had the others (Medela, etc), and nothing compares. They also have sizes that are hard to find.

If you tend to be leaky, avoid cotton or cotton-lined stuff. Stays icky wet, stinks, and can contribute to thrush(yeast) if you get them soaked and don't change.

jkgal
12-12-2009, 02:40 AM
i am bumping this thread. also in search of a good nursing bra.

citymama
12-12-2009, 03:34 AM
I used Bravados and they were fine. Then I discovered Glamormom nursing bras and tanks and never looked back - absolutely loved them and they were so comfy. I'm pretty small-chested, even when nursing, so that was all the support I needed, plus really easy to use with nursing pads which I needed since I was leaky for a while.

jkgal
12-12-2009, 04:12 AM
tried the Glamormom nursing tanks at Motherhood Maternity. They feel like regular tank or sports bra. give you a uni boob. Never tried Bravados yet.

diegosmom
12-12-2009, 09:03 AM
I breastfeed both my kids until they were almost two and tried several of the expensive brands (pea in the pod, medela, etc) I found great afordable ones at Target (Gillian O'mallay sp?) that worked just as well.

boltfam
12-13-2009, 06:53 PM
A lot of people like the nursing tanks from Target, but I tried one and it hurt my back. I know that sounds weird. I have some back issues, so if something is too tight around my back, it gets sore. I have the same issue with certain camis. I may have had too small of a size - I grew 2 cup sizes when DS was first born! So, I totally agree to on waiting to buy a bunch until DC is born. I also didn't mind the nursing bras at Motherhood, but I am still wearing them, and now I despise them, so I'm also looking for a good nursing bra/tank. Do the bravado and Glamormom have good support for the large-chested nursing mom? The bravados don't give you a uniboob, right?

They have the Glamormom ones at Motherhood?

Dr C
12-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Can you get the Target bras at the stores or just online? If in the store, what section are they in?

boltfam
12-13-2009, 07:17 PM
You can get the Target ones in the stores, and they're just in the undergarments section - usually in their own little nursing sub-section. HTH!

To the op, I did some more research for myself, and it looks like Anitas are highly recommended.

pastrygirl
12-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Bravado Body Silk. I even love them when not nursing!

Andi98989
12-13-2009, 09:02 PM
You can get the Target ones in the stores, and they're just in the undergarments section - usually in their own little nursing sub-section. HTH!

To the op, I did some more research for myself, and it looks like Anitas are highly recommended.

They are very easy to miss - at our Target stores, they are on a Gillian O'Malley rack right next to the regular products; you have to look at the sign up at the top to really notice that they're nursing bras and tanks.

Personally, I wasn't able to find a nursing bra that fit well in the stores. I had much better luck going through breakoutbras.com - which was recommended here. I sent them an email with my measurements and pictures of the bra I was currently wearing. They gave me recommendations of a couple of bras. I ended up with a Goddess one that was around $40; LOVE it!

WatchingThemGrow
12-13-2009, 09:32 PM

:yeahthat: i'm having a hard time putting mine away with the other nursing stuff. i love that bra!

mamalia
12-13-2009, 10:59 PM
A lot of people like the nursing tanks from Target, but I tried one and it hurt my back. I know that sounds weird. I have some back issues, so if something is too tight around my back, it gets sore. I have the same issue with certain camis. I may have had too small of a size - I grew 2 cup sizes when DS was first born! So, I totally agree to on waiting to buy a bunch until DC is born. I also didn't mind the nursing bras at Motherhood, but I am still wearing them, and now I despise them, so I'm also looking for a good nursing bra/tank. Do the bravado and Glamormom have good support for the large-chested nursing mom? The bravados don't give you a uniboob, right?

They have the Glamormom ones at Motherhood?

I think the bravado nursing tanks give me more separation than Glamourmoms. But when worn under thin/more fitted shirts the ruching in the front sometimes leaves unattractive lumps. That said I prefer the bravados. I like the additional cleavage and torso coverage. I really like the body silk bras but I'm starting to miss underwire. I have an underwire nursing bra from first pregnancy that I kinda like, but I wish there was something more comfy. I got it for special occasion dress up. It gives a nicer profile but the lace can make tighter tops lumpy. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Mystère-Womens-Florence-Nursing-161/dp/B00117ZQ6Y

Tondi G
12-13-2009, 11:16 PM
I really liked my Medela bras. I tried a couple of other brands and always found myself going back for the Medela bras.

this is the style I had... worked well with the nursing pads etc

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=496423

dragop21
12-14-2009, 07:56 AM
this is my story. I bought a Bravado nursing bra with my first baby, in 2004. I remember seeing a picture of my chest and thinking how sad and pathetic it looked. :P so I have never looked back and used a nursing bra again in my life.

so since then, I use a wireless one after birth, a nursing bra at this stage isn't a bad idea, but something without wires. anyway, at around 3 weeks, depending on when the engorgement goes down I switch to a normal bra, I personally buy Vicky's, and use that. I have never had a problem, I just push down the fabric and he nurses away. he is now 6.5 months and I haven't had an issue.
I do nurse for long though, my first was 14 months and my second was 2.5 when she quit. I hate how my boobs look when they are wearing a bra that doesn't give 'em some oooomph. ;)

MamaSnoo
12-14-2009, 11:16 AM

Exactly---best nursing bra ever!!! Still wearing them twice a week after 2 years and they are in excellent condition.

I also have two Melinda G bras which have a deep v-plunge with snaps at the center so that you can wear lower cut tops without your nursing bra peeking out. They might not be good for someone with a larger cup size, but were great for me (B before, D nursing). They are NOT pretty bras, but did let me wear more clothing styles.

I tried to post the link:

http://www.izzymaternityclothes.com/store/melinda-g-front-snap-nursing-bra.html

choopi
12-15-2009, 08:07 PM
I've used the Medela soft cup nursing bras and are pretty happy with them. They are very, very comfortable. I wear them day and night and never even know I have them on. The support and quality is a lot better than the cheapos I have from JC Penney. My only complaint is that the straps are pretty thick, but that doesn't make a difference with my winter clothing.

I can't wait until I can wear an underwire again and get some lift!

boltfam
12-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Thank you all for your recommendations! I'll definately have to check out breakoutbras.com! Why aren't you supposed to wear under-wire bras when nursing? Is it because they can lead to plugged ducts?

dragop21
12-17-2009, 07:25 PM
well I do. :shrug: I get away with it. I think its something to be aware of for sure, and I do avoid in the first few weeks while establishing supply.
:)

lizzywednesday
12-19-2009, 10:49 AM
There was just an article about this in the "Mom & Baby" spinoff of Fit Pregnancy ... I lifted a copy from my OB's waiting room at my appointment yesterday because I saw a lot of things my sister might be able to use if she's OK'd to exercise after her 6-week follow-up this week and I was interested in the nursing bra article.

They seemed to love Bravado & Medela as much as the other posters here do, but I did notice they had one that was super-cute!

I tried to find the article online but I couldn't.