PDA

View Full Version : How do I find a family to "adopt" for holiday gifts?

hillview
12-02-2009, 04:56 PM
I'd like to do this but don't know what local org I might be able to work through. I am in the Boston area.
Thanks!
/hillary

jellibeans
12-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Call your local Salvation Army.

lfp2n
12-02-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm doing one through the volunteer organization of the university that basically coordinates all undergrad volunteer activities. I like that its not overly religious although I think they get the names through the salvation army and a refugee organization. Bad news is the food and gifts are due TODAY!

mommylamb
12-02-2009, 05:12 PM
I used to work at a battered women's shelter that had an office only counseling component as well, and we did an adopt a family program for the families in the shelter as well as families in which the mother came in for counseling at the office. You could check with your state's shelter network.

misshollygolightly
12-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Your local chapter of the Salvation Army should be doing this. Go to salvationarmy.org and look up the info for your local branch. We do this every year through our county's Salvation Army--always a great experience!

motherofone
12-02-2009, 05:41 PM
We got ours through our county's volunteer center. This year the school recommended the family to the program. Our gifts aren't due until December 13.

sidmand
12-02-2009, 06:46 PM
I know if you just want to buy gifts for a child, the Home for Little Wanderers in Boston does this: http://www.thehome.org/site/PageServer?pagename=events_big_wishes

Actually, it looks like they now purchase gifts/essentials for families too.

alien_host
12-02-2009, 07:43 PM
BJs usually has a tree with angels and you can pick one and buy the gifts.

My DH's office is doing this but I'm not sure what the organization is. The gifts are due on the 14th and they did receive it a few weeks ago. I can try and find out what the org. is if you wanted.

almostamom
12-02-2009, 08:07 PM
You can also try a local school. Call and ask to speak to the nurse or social worker at the school and they can give you information on a family who needs help.

Linda

pinkmomagain
12-02-2009, 09:16 PM
You can try your local churches. We just adopted a family through a local church. We do not attend this church (although our children were baptised there) as we simply don't worship. This is considered our home parish, I guess. But I learned about it through an article in our town paper and it seems that the church was reaching out to the wider community. We're excited...it's our first time doing it and we look forward to getting the kids involved.

DietCokeLover
12-02-2009, 09:27 PM
DH is on the board of Salvation Army here and they have partnered nationally with JC Penney to do Angel Tree. You can access a needy child right from the jcp.com website.

MoJo
12-03-2009, 08:35 AM
You can also try a local school. Call and ask to speak to the nurse or social worker at the school and they can give you information on a family who needs help.

Linda

:yeahthat:

This is how my co-workers adopt families every year.

Tinkerbell313
12-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Down here in Virginia, I call up our county Department of Social Services. I live in a town of 2000 and a county of about 10000...very small. I call up before Turkey day (but they are appreciative no matter when you call) and adopt a family/person for Thanksgiving and Christmas. This year I chose an elderly woman...last year I chose a family with a teen age son.

Thanksgiving is a food basket...but I call the family up to see what they truly need as they can get lots of canned goods and pasta at the local food bank. The woman I have this year loves to bake...so I went to Costco and got the big container of vanilla and cinnamon. Also I got several bags of flour at the grocery story...and chocolate chips in addition to some of the regular turkey day foods.

I will be calling her for Christmas to see what foods and necessities (i.e. food stamps does not pay for paper goods such as toilet paper, etc). I already have her Christmas list and have purchased her a wool coat and a pair of good sneakers. Also, when I was deliving the Turkey day food I looked around the house to see what she could need (blankets, throws, picture frames, etc)

Good for you for wanting to help!!! Our kids love to go shopping for the families we adopt.