PDA

View Full Version : WWYD- to wean or not to wean? long-ish!

LarsMal
12-02-2009, 06:06 PM
A little background:
I went to the allergist yesterday to get some medicine for my rash. The doc said it looks like eczema, but not typical eczema. The broader "atopic dermatitis". He said it could definitely be my post partum body/immune system just going wacky. It looks like a contact reaction, but I honestly haven't changed or done anything different. I don't use anything with fragrance. I give my clothes an extra rinse in the wash. The only thing I can think of is that my mom gave C a bath in stuff I'm allergic to. That was a couple weeks ago, though, and I was already starting to get itchy before that, but the rash is on my ribs and on my neck/chest so maybe it's related to that.

Anyway...I'm taking Claritin for the itching. I read on 2 sites that it's okay and the doc said it was fine to take while BF. He gave me two steroid creams. One is very potent- Clobetasol (sp?). I actually used it before when I had a very similar thing happen when DD1 was C's age.

C is still EBF, even though she's supposed to be on formula for her weight issues. I just havne't gotten around to that yet! I'm feeling really guilty about taking Claritin and using the steroid cream while BF.

Is it worth it to wean or will she be okay? I put the stuff on at night after her last feeding and she sleeps through the night, so I feel like it's mostly off by the time I feed her again. The allergist said topical stuff won't get into my milk, but I don't know if that's 100% true. It's not going ON my breast either.

I just don't know what to do. I'm hoping it clears up in a couple days and I won't need the ointment anymore and can maybe cut back on the Claritin.

HELP!! WWYD?

AmyZ
12-02-2009, 07:53 PM
I was exclusively nursing DD1 when I had a horrible hive outbreak (I'm prone to them). I was on just about every anti-histimine on the market, all at the same time - in an attempt to control the hives. I talked with my ped. and they said it was fine, and just to watch DD... she was perfectly ok.

I also use Clobetasol for eczema, which I didn't use when I was preggo, but the minute my kids were born, I started using it again (I was nursing full -time).

I wouldn't worry about using either while nursing, and I certainly don't think you need to wean.

egoldber
12-02-2009, 07:56 PM
I would not wean for an antihistamine or topical steroid. Both are very, very safe.

bubbaray
12-02-2009, 08:37 PM
I would not wean for an antihistamine or topical steroid. Both are very, very safe.

:yeahthat:

wellyes
12-02-2009, 08:45 PM
I wouldn't wean for that, no way.

I'm sorry you're so itchy!!

C is still EBF, even though she's supposed to be on formula for her weight issues. I just havne't gotten around to that yet!

I think I'd get a second opinion on that.....I don't know the whole story, of course, but I've heard of this coming up before with other moms. If she's underweight according to your doctor's chart, that doesn't necessarily mean she is underweight or unhealthy. EBF babies almost always weigh less than FF babies, and those charts are based on FF babies. If you do not want to wean and are concerned, I'd contact your local La Leche League for advice.

LarsMal
12-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks ladies!!! I feel much better and will keep on BF and using my meds.

I am taking C in for a weight check on Monday so we'll see how she does. *I'm* not really concerned, but the ped is. I guess I'll just wait until Monday and go from there.

Another question- What about prednisone while nursing? I think I saw it on the safe chart on babycenter.com. Have any of you taken it while BF? That is my next step if this stuff doesn't work. Hopefully I won't need it.

egoldber
12-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Pred is also considered safe.