PDA

View Full Version : When I say the name Cordelia, what do you first think of?

crl
12-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Poll coming!

(DH and I disagree on what most people associate this name with. . . .)

Claki
12-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Anne Shirley came to mind immediately.

american_mama
12-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Absolutely Anne of Green Gables for me, just from the thread title alone. But there are a lot of Anne Fan's on this board, and a lot of Canadians, and we're almost all women, so bear that in mind if the Anne response gets a lot of votes. We're a different population than the general public. I suspect few men are that familiar with Anne of Green Gables.

clc053103
12-02-2009, 07:42 PM
um, it's our neighbor's last name?

JBaxter
12-02-2009, 07:43 PM
The old lady at church that smelled like moth balls

AnnieW625
12-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Honestly I think of Cordelia Junction, a little junction of two freeways in Fairfield, CA, about an hour north of San Francisco. There is nothing there but some fast food restaurants, a mini golf course, and a truck stop.

Secondly I think of the character Cordelia, a baby on the Young and the Restless, the love child between Billy Abbott, and Chloe Mitchell (aka Kate Valentine's Esther's daughter). Chloe is a very annoying soap character and I can't stand her. You probably won't get any of this unless you watch the Young and the Restless. Not positive thoughts for me.

I totally forgot about Cordelia from Anne of Green Gables so that would be third, and much better than the Y&R character even though I don't remember Cordelia being my favorite book character. I much preferred Anne and Gilbert.

vonfirmath
12-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Angel. Charisma Carpenter.

writermama
12-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Shakespeare first.

Buffy I should have thought of, but I didnt' think of it until I saw the poll.

codex57

Same here, but I picked Buffy instead of Other cuz it's close enough.

marie
I voted "other" but really it's Shakespeare and other. DD1 had a classmate in preschool named Cordelia and her nickname was Cordi. I like it and even considered the name for DD2.

crl
12-02-2009, 08:02 PM
You all are cracking me up!

DH thinks everyone will associate it with Buffy (or I guess, Angel). I think that show had a limited audience and it was a long time ago now so not that many people will think of it. (I LOVE Buffy by the way and so does he.)

I think most people willl think of Shakespeare. But then my own mother didn't realize Cordelia is a character in one of his plays and had to ask which one. (Oh and when I said we were thinking of using it, she said it's an ugly name, which is remarkably untactful for her--and for some reason is making me really want to use that name.)

And someone, I think on this board, pointed out the Anne of Green Gables connection to me.

For the person who mentioned a preschool classmate, we had the same experience. And I liked the name then (and the little girl who was petite and bossy and really funny)!

Thanks,
Catherine

katydid1971
12-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Funny we were just driving by Cordelia Junction (mentioned in pp) and my husband mentioned Charisma (he always thought that was a funny name I don't know why)
FWIW I love the name Cordelia

Seitvonzu
12-02-2009, 08:10 PM
i immeadiately thought of buffy when i read the thread title... i'm a HUGE anne of green gables fan (i've read the entire series many times over) and I had to actually think for a second (just a second) why that was an option. *hangs head in shame* in my defense- it's been a LONG day :)!!!

i would definitely say i'm more of an ANNE fan than a Buffy fan. but i'm a big fan of both... definitely not shakespeare, though i like him too ;)

squimp
12-02-2009, 08:12 PM
I thought it was someone on the Addams Family.

BabyMine
12-02-2009, 08:21 PM
I immediately thought of Angel and Buffy. I love that name though.

wellyes
12-02-2009, 08:29 PM
I think of Buffy/Angel first, but then I try to class myself up by thinking Shakespeare LOL.

DH thinks everyone will associate it with Buffy (or I guess, Angel). I think that show had a limited audience and it was a long time ago now so not that many people will think of it. (I LOVE Buffy by the way and so does he.)

Yeah but all the really COOL people will think of it! But it's not a show that kids her age will know, so I don't think it'll be an issue for her growing up.

Charisma Carpenter is a beautiful woman. Her character was excellent comic relief on Buffy and came to her own on Angel. I don't think it's a negative association.

Andi98989
12-02-2009, 08:31 PM
The book "Dear Cordelia" I read not too long ago. :)

scrooks
12-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Anne of Green Gables all the way!:yeahthat:

bubbaray
12-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Totally 'Delia, Billy & Chloe's baby on Y&R.

lmintzer
12-02-2009, 08:43 PM
I think of a character in a Margaret Atwood novel called "Cat's Eye." And Shakespeare, of course. : )

Fairy
12-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Charisma all the way.

SnuggleBuggles
12-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Angel and Buffy all the way.

Beth

crl
12-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Drat, it looks like DH wins again. LOL.

Catherine

ohiomom1121
12-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Totally 'Delia, Billy & Chloe's baby on Y&R.
Embarrased to say, me too!

fauve01
12-02-2009, 08:58 PM

:yeahthat:

maestramommy
12-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Oh, Anne of Green Gables definitely! I had to stop and think on Buffy:p But I have a soft spot for anything Anne Shirley and Avonlea in general. :heartbeat:

trales
12-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Every Latin text book that was ever printed. It was my "Latin" name in High School.

ThreeofUs
12-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Okay, I know I'm an odd duck, but "Cordelia" to me always speaks of Rome and the Latin language.

jent
12-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Yeah but all the really COOL people will think of it!

mamicka
12-02-2009, 10:38 PM
I associate it with nothing. I think it's just a pretty name.

maylips
12-02-2009, 10:39 PM
The old lady at church that smelled like moth balls

Laurel
12-02-2009, 10:41 PM
LOL, I think of Buffy first, and I wrote a thesis on Lear! How pathetic is that?

kijip
12-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Anne of Green Gables for me hands down. It took me a second to recall the Shakespeare reference and I have never seen Buffy, despite many friends cajoling. Maybe one of these days. But "Will you call me Cordelia...Child, what is your name...Anne Shirley...can't you just imagine my name is Cordelia...but if you have to call me Anne please be sure to spell it with an e etc" is burned into my memory.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-02-2009, 10:50 PM
A very old woman who smells like mothballs.

elizabethkott
12-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Totally thought Lear, but that might be because I'm a theatre teacher and a Shakespear nerd. :D

MontrealMum
12-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Anne of course!

If it makes you feel better, Anne wants to be called Cordelia after the Shakespeare character. So, they're really the same reference.

WatchingThemGrow
12-03-2009, 12:04 AM
1. I looooove the name.

2. It makes me thing of a well-endowed African-American woman. I'm from the south.

bigpassport
12-03-2009, 12:06 AM
I went to a woman in law school whose name was Cordelia and went by Cordie. Other than that....Shakespeare.

purpleeyes
12-03-2009, 12:12 AM

I wish I'd thought of Anne...since I count those books as some of my faves...oh well!

strollerqueen
12-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Angel and Buffy all the way.

Beth

kransden
12-03-2009, 12:47 AM
I LOVED Buffy, but my first thought was King Lear. When I saw Buffy, I thought "Oh yeah".

Happy 2B mommy
12-03-2009, 01:08 AM
Today I thought "Buffy", but it's a Buffy kinda day for me! Other days I'd think King Lear. I Think it's a beautiful name.

I love the name "Miranda" - I associate it with The Tempest. My BF associates it with Sex and the City and DH assoicates it with rights. Ya just never know!

elliput
12-03-2009, 01:27 AM
Shakespeare first, then Buffy. I think it is a fantastic and beautiful name.

vonfirmath
12-03-2009, 01:32 AM

I didn't like the Cordelia of Buffy. Just of Angel. so that's why I chose other.

"Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass."

Ever on Stranger Things Forum?

wencit
12-03-2009, 01:33 AM
Am I the only one who immediately thought, "Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan"????

DH is really into sci fi books, so they're always laying around somewhere in the house. I think that's one of the main characters in a series he reads.

vonfirmath
12-03-2009, 01:35 AM

DH is really into sci fi books, so they're always laying around somewhere in the house. I think that's one of the main characters in a series he reads.

AIgh! I should have thought of that.

Miles' Mother. I guess she isn't referred to as "cordelia" in most of the books. Just mom and stuff. This is the series I read while breastfeeding my son when newborn. Author Lois McMaster Bujold

longamkl
12-03-2009, 03:16 AM
It's the title of a Tragically Hip song.

Kitten007
12-03-2009, 03:49 AM
Another one who thought of Buffy/Angel/Charisma Carpenter.

I love the shows (especially David Boreanaz...yeah....now that's a good thought....yummy!!!).

wellyes
12-03-2009, 08:22 AM
As an alternative name without those associations, how about Delia? It's just as lovely and old-fashioned.

Melaine
12-03-2009, 09:00 AM

:yeahthat: followed by Buffy.

Melaine
12-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Ohhh I just thought of another one, but it's old. "Cordelia Drexle Biddle" from the old Disney's "The Happiest Millionaire". The character was nicknamed Cordie. My girls LOOOOOVE that movie.

I love the name Cordelia.

amandabea
12-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Shakespeare. But King Lear is my favorite tragedy and I was an English major. I think most people will think of the Buffy/Angel shows.

egoldber
12-03-2009, 09:45 AM
I am a HUGE Buffy fan, but my first thought was definitely King Lear.

boolady
12-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Ohhh I just thought of another one, but it's old. "Cordelia Drexle Biddle" from the old Disney's "The Happiest Millionaire". The character was nicknamed Cordie. My girls LOOOOOVE that movie.

I love the name Cordelia.

Ahhhhh! This is exactly what I was thinking of! I can't believe there's another Happiest Millionaire fan out there! I just bought it on DVD within the past year at Target to save for when DD's a few years older, but I honestly almost pulled it out of the drawer to watch myself the other night. I am known in my family to spontaneously burst out with a round of "Detroit" at any moment.

Hmmm....I guess there's no reason she couldn't watch it now.

Dare I ask if you also love (as I do) Fred McMurray in Disney's "Follow Me Boys" with 10-year old Kurt Russell?

fivi2
12-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Buffy/Angel - love her.

and also the Lois McMaster Bujold reference.

Melaine
12-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Ahhhhh! This is exactly what I was thinking of! I can't believe there's another Happiest Millionaire fan out there! I just bought it on DVD within the past year at Target to save for when DD's a few years older, but I honestly almost pulled it out of the drawer to watch myself the other night. I am known in my family to spontaneously burst out with a round of "Detroit" at any moment.

Hmmm....I guess there's no reason she couldn't watch it now.

Dare I ask if you also love (as I do) Fred McMurray in Disney's "Follow Me Boys" with 10-year old Kurt Russell?

I also bought it at Target I was THRILLED to get it for the price! My girls adore it, I was surprised. They go around singing "Byumpumppump" . I would pull it out if I were you! Plus, there are a lot of extra scenes I never saw!

I do! I do like Follow Me Boys! I haven't seen it in years, but it was great! So many great old movies that have totally gotten lost in the shuffle.

deborah_r
12-03-2009, 11:36 AM
I associate it with nothing. I think it's just a pretty name.

Me too.........

boolady
12-03-2009, 11:38 AM
I also bought it at Target I was THRILLED to get it for the price! My girls adore it, I was surprised. They go around singing "Byumpumppump" . I would pull it out if I were you! Plus, there are a lot of extra scenes I never saw!

I do! I do like Follow Me Boys! I haven't seen it in years, but it was great! So many great old movies that have totally gotten lost in the shuffle.

Awesome! You are 100% right about all of these movies that "got lost in the shuffle." This has totally made my day..."Oh, Miss Cordelia Drexel Biddle, I thought I knew you well....: :)

klwa
12-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Another Buffy/Angel.

And, sadly, I'm re-reading Anne of Green Gabels right now. It took me a second to figure out why I was seeing that as one of the options....

mommylamb
12-03-2009, 12:07 PM
My first thought was King Lear, but before I even saw the poll I also thought of Charisma Carpenter (I LOVE Buffy).

crl
12-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks everyone! I briefly considered not showing this to DH, but decided to let him have his victory. By the way, we don't necessarily mind any of those associations, it was just a debate about which most people would make.

Thank you!
Catherine

tarahsolazy
12-03-2009, 12:46 PM

Nope, not the only one, LOL. That was my first thought. (see my quote in my sig below)

I think its beautiful, and Delia is a great nickname.

Tondi G
12-03-2009, 01:14 PM
I think of an old lady!

kellyd
12-03-2009, 02:55 PM
I think of Buffy and Angel as well, but there's nothing wrong w/ that! My mom chose my name because Jacquline Smith was her favorite charachter on Charlie's Angels! :)

daniele_ut
12-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Totally thought Lear, but that might be because I'm a theatre teacher and a Shakespear nerd. :D

Shakespeare nerd here as well. I can't believe that when I voted more than a third of the people associated the name with Buffy!

Of course, we had multiple people ask us if DS was named after Wolverine

rlu
12-03-2009, 03:16 PM
DS's little friend from church. She no longer attends and I don't know who they named her after.

I got the Shakespeare reference before Buffy/Angel - is Bones on tonight? - but I must not have read all the Anne books because I missed that reference completely.

Fairy
12-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Cordelia was on our girl name list. It would have been Cordy. We elimintated it somewhat early on.

momtoonegirl
12-03-2009, 04:21 PM
It makes me think of my cousin whose name is Cordelia. She is very nice. :)

karenj2
12-03-2009, 05:11 PM
A friend of mine from Georgia. :) I chose other.

MamaKath
12-03-2009, 10:10 PM
It is my friend's granddaughter's name. I think it is pretty! That is the person who I think of.

MamaKath
12-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Oh and I love Anne of Green Gables, I had forgotten it from there. It is such a pretty name!

mrshalco
12-03-2009, 10:36 PM
I never watched Buffy but was a big Angel fan. Thought of that immediately!

Katigre
12-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Anne of Green Gables is the first thing I thought of.

czekit7
12-05-2009, 02:55 PM
For some reason, the Color Purple came to mind....yes, I know there is no one named thar, but...it's what came to mind.