PDA

View Full Version : Need crafty help, please

almostamom
12-02-2009, 10:25 PM
DS' preschool class is making a giant gingerbread house (they're covering one of those outdoor playhouses). I was asked to make some giant candy that they can glue/velcro onto it. Here's what I have so far:

M&Ms out of felt
Licorice out of red pipe cleaners
Gum drops out of Dixie cups and glitter

What else?

I've spent all afternoon trying to figure out how to make a big Hershey's kiss. (The M&Ms are the size of my palm, if that helps). It has to have a bottom on it so it can be attached to the house. I tried using coffee filters which I turned into a cone and covered with aluminum foil, but it ended up looking like a silver volcano - a messy, crumpled silver volcano. I looked at styrofoam cones, but they are so expensive and aren't quite the right shape. Any ideas?

TIA,
Linda

MamaMolly
12-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Does it have to be 3D? Cause the first thing that came to my mind was getting some cardboard boxes and cutting them down to look like cellophane wrapped candies, like Brach's Starlight mints.
You know, come to think of it, if you glue 2 paper plates face to face at the edges, then paint a red swirl on it, you can wrap it in Saran wrap for a mint. That would be 3D!

For Teddy grahams you could do the cardboard thing and cover it with glue and play sand to give it that sugary look.

TP tubes or paper towel tubes taped together and bent to look like a candy cane, then painted the right colors...

Fun project!

newg
12-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Not sure if this would work.......what about taking tule (sp?)....possibly the pre-cut circles made for weddings/bridal showers...........and stuffing it with stuffing??
Not sure what craft stores you have around you, but you can sign up for JO-Ann coupons and Michaels and Hobby lobby coupons online.........my michales will take up to two coupons and Jo-ann will take as many as I have as long as each barcode is different........

could you use pool noodles for something.......maybe candycanes?

pakin
12-03-2009, 12:38 AM
How about making candy corn with felt or foam sheets? Those are inexpensive and easy to do.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

Tondi G
12-03-2009, 02:43 AM
I think you could probably get some not too expensive striped fabric and make Ribbon Candy... any bright color will look festive. I just saw in family fun or Parents how they made ornaments that looked like ribbon candy with ribbon.

http://www.hammondscandies.com/ribbon-candy-c-3.html

How about paper towel rolls painted to look like candy cane/candy sticks?

some twisted felt to look like red vines?

Seitvonzu
12-03-2009, 09:38 AM
i think all the above ideas are EXCELLENT. what a FUN project. its making me want to print out the thread and do this next year with my own child. :) i'm trying to think if my husband would kill me :) teehee

Melaine
12-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Ooooh this sounds so fun!!! Any way you could post pictures after this project is complete?? I love it....

ohiomom1121
12-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Really cute ideas! For hershey kisses you could get styrofoam balls from a craft store, cut them in half and use tin foil to wrap them up into a point on the rounded side. Hope that makes sense. Have fun.

almostamom
12-03-2009, 10:41 AM
i think all the above ideas are EXCELLENT. what a FUN project. its making me want to print out the thread and do this next year with my own child. :) i'm trying to think if my husband would kill me :) teehee

Wrapping the the playhouse in butcher paper is pretty easy (especially when I had DH do it for a birthday party ;) ) I'm guessing that's what DS' teacher is doing. I'll see if I can get pictures at their holiday party. One of the other moms suggesting attaching the candy with velcro so they children can move them around and they can be re-used next year. DH cut out enough felt circles last night for about 75 M&Ms. I've got lots of gluing to do today! :)

Linda

fortato
12-03-2009, 11:56 AM
NECCO WAFERS!!! Cardboard circles painted in pastel colors. You've got to have Necco Wafers on a Gingerbread house!!!

This is an AWESOME idea. I've got all these cardboard boxes- (Amazon addiction) I should make a big house with it!!

Thank you!

Jen841
12-03-2009, 01:59 PM
What about large circles wrapped in cello to look like wrapped candies?

almostamom
12-03-2009, 03:10 PM
You guys are great! DS and I are headed to Michaels this afternoon for cellophane and styrofoam! I'm going to have to look up Necco Wafers. I don't know what those are. We've never made a gingerbread house because of DS' food allergies. I won't let any of the candy that's cross contaminated w/nuts in the house.

I have 60 felt M&Ms on the counter right now waiting for the paint 'm' to dry. DH cut out circles for hours last night! I'm trying to create the Hershey's Kisses out of coffee filters. I'll keep you posted on that one.

Linda