PDA

View Full Version : What song did you dance your first dance to at your wedding?

TwinFoxes
12-02-2009, 11:53 PM
All this wedding talk made me curious. We danced to "You Send Me" by the great Sam Cooke. I heard it on my iPod just now, and it still makes me feel all warm and lovey. :loveeyes: If you're not married, what's your special song?

DietCokeLover
12-02-2009, 11:56 PM
We did not dance at our wedding. And DH is not a dancer much to my dismay.

mariza
12-03-2009, 12:13 AM
(I've got you) Under My Skin from the Duets albumn with Frank Sinatra & Bono. I just pulled it up on you tube. Makes me want to put on my gown all over again! Too bad it would only fit over my head :bag
I'm generally a traditionalist with my music, don't care for re-mixes or live versions, but for some reason I just love this rendition. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL_EKEVtmSU
Fun post, thx!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Etta James, "At Last"

lilycat88
12-03-2009, 12:18 AM
:yeahthat:

MontrealMum
12-03-2009, 12:21 AM
This is awful, but I don't remember! I'll have to ask my dad, who helped me plan the wedding. Our neighbor (and my dad's close friend) is a professional pianist, and his gift to us was "background music" during hors d'ouevres and the first dance. And I know I had something very specific...

KrisM
12-03-2009, 12:24 AM
We danced to "The Way You Look Tonight" by Fred Astaire.

We took dancing lessons and had a great time with it!

nrp
12-03-2009, 12:28 AM
"I Believe in You" by Don Williams. A bit untraditional, I guess. But DH picked it and I thought (and still think) its sweet.

m448
12-03-2009, 12:31 AM
this by Don Henley and I love it. It's "For My Wedding" and my husband picked it out, he's a big fan of the eagles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHpKNyxXVmU

MMMommy
12-03-2009, 12:36 AM
Frank Sinatra's "The Way You Look Tonight."

♥ms.pacman♥
12-03-2009, 12:37 AM
"Come Fly With Me", by Michael Buble :) we took swing dancing lessons which worked out great. loved it!

KrisM
12-03-2009, 12:37 AM

Same song, different singer!

DH really wanted the Fred Astaire version for some reason. We had to provide it ourselves.

blisstwins
12-03-2009, 12:40 AM
You're the Best Thing by the Style Council. Sadly, we found out that Paul Weller is a rapist shortly thereafter.

lchang25000
12-03-2009, 12:41 AM
We danced to "The Way You Look Tonight" by Fred Astaire.

We took dancing lessons and had a great time with it!

:yeahthat: We took dancing lessons also and did a foxtrot to that song.

JenChem
12-03-2009, 12:41 AM
She's More by Andy Griggs, when we first started dating my DH said it reminded him of me. We had my parents' first dance song We've Only Just Begun sung during our ceremony.

elektra
12-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Everlong by the Foo Fighters.
Not a good dance song really, but it had some meaning for us.

randomkid
12-03-2009, 12:54 AM
My Kind of Woman, My Kind of Man by Vince Gill and Patty Loveless http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EiLskdHmS8 DH chose it and it was very meaningful as we had gone through A LOT to get to our wedding day. DH had no job, no car, ruined credit and was unable to give me a ring when we got engaged (due to his divorce). He heard this song and felt it fit us perfectly, and it did. We also took dance lessons and the instructor was thrilled when he heard the song. He said "It's a classic waltz!" so that's what he taught us.

Bens Momma
12-03-2009, 01:11 AM
"Unforgettable" Natalie and Nat King Cole duet version for our real first dance followed by Elton John's "Candle In The Wind" because we shared our first kiss to this song! Ah the memories :love2:!!

R.
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:

pakin
12-03-2009, 01:22 AM
Another "The Way You Look Tonight" here. Tony Bennett's version.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

wencit
12-03-2009, 01:29 AM
Etta James, "At Last" Another :yeahthat:

I still remember we spent $200 on dancing lessons, too. It was then that I learned DH is a horrible dancer. Oh well, I love him anyways.

fauve01
12-03-2009, 02:38 AM
DH and I danced to "Shamless" sung by Garth Brooks (it was written by Billy Joel). Great song!

Anne

squimp
12-03-2009, 03:04 AM
Al Green's "Let's stay together"

almostamom
12-03-2009, 03:50 AM

We did too. :)

Pennylane
12-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Edwin McCain, "These are the Moments". No dance lessons before and it is the only time I have danced with my DH.

Ann

infomama
12-03-2009, 06:56 AM
These are the Days...Van Morrison

fattytuna
12-03-2009, 07:39 AM
"The Way You Look Tonight", the Steve Tyrell version (from the movie "Father of the Bride")

klwa
12-03-2009, 08:00 AM
No dancing at our wedding.

thomma
12-03-2009, 08:39 AM
True Companion - Marc Cohn

Puddy73
12-03-2009, 08:55 AM
These are the Days...Van Morrison

We used this one, too! Our reception was outdoors next to a river and I especially love the line about the sparkling river.

Melaine
12-03-2009, 08:55 AM
We did not dance at our wedding. And DH is not a dancer much to my dismay.

My pick would have been "Come Away with Me" by Norah Jones, however.

LD92599
12-03-2009, 08:58 AM
From This Moment On by Shania Twain!

pinkmomagain
12-03-2009, 09:00 AM

We did too.

carolinamama
12-03-2009, 09:12 AM
"Have I Told You Lately" by Van Morrison.

lizzywednesday
12-03-2009, 09:21 AM
After much debate over whether it would flip out our families if we went with 'The Origin of Love' from Hedwig and the Angry Inch (we decided it would - either way, it's a good song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YO9FpWX57E) we went with 'Grow Old With Me (The Best is Yet to Be)' music & lyrics by John Lennon, but we used the Mary Chapin Carpenter cover because it's so much warmer ... if you're not familiar with the song, I found someone's video on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrhzI2jbMqo

I'm a big lyrics/meanings person, so I really wanted to choose something that represented what I wanted from our marriage. DH is a big "let's be unique" person, which made it difficult to choose a song because he was insisting on a lot of songs that I couldn't understand why they meant something to us and our future. When I sent him the lyrics to this song and insisted on Mary Chapin Carpenter's version over John Lennon's (John was experimenting with some kind of weird voice effect, so it sounds very cold and hollow) he listened to it and finally told me "yes, this is it."

We took dance lessons because I told my DH if he steered me around and around in circles like he usually did during a slow dance, and I got dizzy or sick before I had any of my salmon dinner or frozen margarita, I would kill him. (Having had an honest-to-goodness boxer teach me how to throw a punch when I was in college, DH fears my right hook and knows I have a lethal left cross.)

We did pretty well, if I do say so myself!

caleymama
12-03-2009, 09:28 AM
True Companion - Marc Cohn

That song gives me goosebumps! :love-retry: A childhood friend of DH had that as his wedding song before we were married and that was the first time I ever heard it. Even now I'm getting teary just thinking of the song!

Our song was Grow Old With Me by Mary Chapin Carpenter (the song was written by John Lennon)

melrose7
12-03-2009, 09:59 AM
"Love of my Life" by Jim Brickman and Michael W Smith. Still love hearing it and thinking about that special day.

g-mama
12-03-2009, 10:05 AM
"Grow Old Along with Me" by Mary Chapin Carpenter. We wanted "That's All I Ask of You" from Phantom of the Opera but we had a band and the singer (while amazing) couldn't sing it well so we changed our minds.

hillview
12-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Um so ...
"Hot in Herre"
Nelly
/hillary

ilfaith
12-03-2009, 10:40 AM
From This Moment On by Shania Twain!

This was our song too. We hadn't come up with anything, and a week before our wedding one of DH's good friends got married and this was their first dance, so we copied. A few months later a friend of mine got married and also used this song...and admitted she'd chosen it after hearing it at our wedding.

elizabethkott
12-03-2009, 10:51 AM
"She is Love" by Oasis.

brittone2
12-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Etta James, "At Last"

Twoboos
12-03-2009, 11:44 AM
"Fly Me to the Moon" by Frank Sinatra.

american_mama
12-03-2009, 11:51 AM
"We've Only Just Begun" by The Carpenters. To my surprise, DH picked it despite his MUCH wider, more passionate and hipper taste in music. I've always liked it, it builds nicely, and it's good to slow dance to, but it scream 70's to me.

He and his mom danced to "You Are My River" by Santana which, while long, was a very touching and original first dance song.

Mikey0709
12-03-2009, 11:54 AM
"Three Little Birds" by Bob Marley - - very untraditional, but one of my ultimate favorites to make me feel better all the time. this is the one that goes - don't worry, bout a thing... cause every little thing is gonna be alright.

Moneypenny
12-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Pride and Joy"

trentsmom
12-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Gershwin's "Someone to Watch Over Me." I have no idea which singer. I think it might have been from the "Crazy for You" soundtrack.

alien_host
12-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Etta James, "At Last"

Us too (or four, five)...we had a band and they did a fabulous job with that song!

ErinMC
12-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Van Morrison's "Someone like you"

tarahsolazy
12-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Somewhere, the Tom Waits version. Its a song from West Side Story.

srkaplan
12-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Hard to Concentrate by the Red Hot Chili Peppers....very unconventional, but we really loved it.

ETA: here's a youtube link...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2-5rnk9yHU
Intersting fact that I found in the comments section: the song was written for Flea & his wife on their wedding.

daniele_ut
12-03-2009, 12:52 PM
"Unforgettable" Natalie and Nat King Cole duet version

Off topic, but I am going to be meeting Natalie Cole next week and I am SO excited!

We danced to "They Can't Take that Away From Me" by Ella Fitzgerald. I can't remember if we used her version or not, though. We had to bring the CD.

michellerw
12-03-2009, 01:31 PM
"Can't Help Falling in Love" by Elvis Presley

it makes me smile whenever I hear it and we rock out to the UB40 version whenever they play it on internet radio now.

jhamman
12-03-2009, 01:38 PM
A vote for Irving Berlin!

"I'm Putting All My Eggs in One Basket"

It has really cute lyrics, and the sentiment is perfect for a wedding dance.

misshollygolightly
12-03-2009, 01:42 PM
We chose "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds. We met at a Ben Folds concert, and the song is very sweet, I think.

MissM'sMom
12-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Ours was "Songbirds" by Eva Cassidy. I really wanted a meaningful first dance song, and DH could not have cared less. We couldn't decide, and then I heard this, and started crying. DH still could not have cared less, but he did like it, and eventually admitted it was the perfect song.

Tinkerbell313
12-03-2009, 02:12 PM
At the church we had Steven Curtiss Chapman's "I will be here" and our 1st dance at the reception was:

Come Rain or Come Sign...the Ray Charles version

I'm gonna love you, like nobody's loved you
Come rain or come shine
High as a mountain, deep as a river
Come rain or come shine
I guess when you met me
It was just one of those things
But don't you ever bet me
'Cause I'm gonna be true if you let me
You're gonna love me, like nobody's loved me
Come rain or come shine
We'll be happy together, unhappy together
Now won't that be just fine
The days may be cloudy or sunny
We're in or out of the money
But I'm with you always
I'm with you rain or shine

GaPeach_in_Ca
12-03-2009, 02:45 PM
"The Best is Yet to Come"

Tony Bennett style

We had a band and it was great!

kellyd
12-03-2009, 02:51 PM
George Strait - I Cross My Heart
Even now, 8 years later it's the only song that DH will dance with me EVERY time we hear it, even if it's just in our living room.

kayte
12-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Three Little Birds by Bob Marley.

:)

No worries....

TwinFoxes
12-03-2009, 03:05 PM
These are fun to read!

Oh, um...

Um so ...
"Hot in Herre"
Nelly
/hillary

you've got some 'splainin' to do! Did you do one of those cool "rock the reception" style dances? This is the only song so far that I've thought wha-ha? :) Whatever the reason was, I hope you got down with your bad selves!

rlu
12-03-2009, 03:09 PM
"They're playing our song" by Neal McCoy. Fits us to a t.
http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/They're-Playin'-Our-Song-lyrics-Neal-McCoy/556C7457565A917C48256BB40022A3BC

We did Wind Beneath My Wings for the parent/child dance.

LarsMal
12-03-2009, 03:23 PM
When You Say Nothing at All- Allison Krauss

And yeah...I want to know the story behind the Nelly song, too! That one was played later in the night at our reception and I will never forget having to run up to one of my bridesmaids as she tried to take off all her clothes!!! :eek:

frgsnlzrds
12-03-2009, 03:42 PM
All For Love by Brian Adams, Rod Stewart, and Sting. We had a renaissance theme wedding, so the Robin Hood song fit.

I wanted Still The One by Shania Twain, but DH kept saying no. Then, on our honeymoon, he heard the song on the radio and said, "Hey, this should have been our song, it describes us perfectly!"

It was the first married punch I gave him. LOL

neeleymartin
12-03-2009, 03:46 PM
"i wanna grow old with you" by adam sandler. i think that's the official name.

the one that adam sandler sings on the plane to drew barrymore at the very end of the wedding singer.

BillK
12-03-2009, 03:51 PM
"The Trooper" by Iron Maiden

.....j/k! :) Actually I don't even remember, as sad as that is.

hillview
12-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Oh, um...

you've got some 'splainin' to do! Did you do one of those cool "rock the reception" style dances? This is the only song so far that I've thought wha-ha? :) Whatever the reason was, I hope you got down with your bad selves!
We didn't want the same ole' same ole'

It livened it up some ;)

We had a BALL!
/hillary

Cam&Clay
12-03-2009, 03:53 PM
For my first wedding, we danced to "Power of Love" by Jennifer Rush. It was later done by Celine Dion and became a huge hit. I still prefer the original.

When I married the second time around, it was a small wedding so we didn't dance, but if we had it would have been "Just the Way You Are" by Billy Joel.

lizzywednesday
12-03-2009, 05:24 PM

the one that adam sandler sings on the plane to drew barrymore at the very end of the wedding singer.

One of my best friends from grammar school had this song as her 1st dance song at her wedding, too.

(BTW, and totally OT, I love that movie.)

MelissaTC
12-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Wow so I win the cheese award. We had "Because You Loved Me" by Celine Dion. I can't even listen to it on the radio, it is so cheezy! We did a second dance and that one was to "The Rose" by Bette Midler. DH picked the songs although I have to say that the words meant a lot to us. We debated Shania Twain's "Still the One" and probably should have picked it instead. It isn't cheezy!

tmphilo
12-03-2009, 06:04 PM
"It's Your Love" - duet with Tim McGraw and Faith Hill

calv
12-03-2009, 06:52 PM
so fun to read! ours was finally found someone by Barbra Streisand & Bryan Adams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ihEhzb-p-4

DH picked it and I LOVE IT! Funny because we went to this fancy place yet nobody acknowledged us on our first date. yup, ended up at a dunkin donuts and talked for hours. So it really did start over coffee :D

lyrics: http://www.romantic-lyrics.com/li8.shtml

hellokitty
12-03-2009, 07:18 PM
"It had to be you" Harry Connick Jr

fauve01
12-03-2009, 07:47 PM
our 1st dance at the reception was:

Come Rain or Come Sign...the Ray Charles version

I'm gonna love you, like nobody's loved you
Come rain or come shine
High as a mountain, deep as a river
Come rain or come shine
I guess when you met me
It was just one of those things
But don't you ever bet me
'Cause I'm gonna be true if you let me
You're gonna love me, like nobody's loved me
Come rain or come shine
We'll be happy together, unhappy together
Now won't that be just fine
The days may be cloudy or sunny
We're in or out of the money
But I'm with you always
I'm with you rain or shine

this was the song we had for the bridal party dance. LOVE LOVE LOVE this version!

Anne

rupptopia
12-03-2009, 07:53 PM
We had the band play "You've Got a Friend in Me" from the First Toy Story movie, Randy Newman song. Not very traditional huh?

The band had to go buy the music & learn it. Turns out they were pretty sure we wouldn't be able to dance very well to it b/c it is kinda midtempo. They didn't know we we loved to swing dance!

Great thread!

ilfaith
12-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Wow so I win the cheese award. We had "Because You Loved Me" by Celine Dion. I can't even listen to it on the radio, it is so cheezy! We did a second dance and that one was to "The Rose" by Bette Midler. DH picked the songs although I have to say that the words meant a lot to us. We debated Shania Twain's "Still the One" and probably should have picked it instead. It isn't cheezy!

I danced with my dad to "Because You Loved Me".

Fairy
12-03-2009, 08:55 PM
"Never My Love" by The Association.

jent
12-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Etta James, "At Last"

This would have been our song, but my dad & stepmom, who got married the year before we did, took it (I never told them). I guess there's no way my mom would have known, but it just didn't feel right. We ended up chosing "L.O.V.E." by Nat "King" Cole (you know, the one that goes "L, the way you look at me; O, the only one I see..." DH and I took swing lessons while we were dating, and the song was perfect for that.

DH, luckily, turned out to be a *great* dancer. The swing lessons were something I strong-armed him into, but once we started, he who would always reminding us we had class & made sure we scheduled our plans so as not to miss class.

ETA: obligitory youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JErVP6xLZwg

AJP
12-03-2009, 09:19 PM
We had "Could I Have This Kiss Forever" by Enrique Iglesias & Whitney Houston.

I was a little shocked that DH's cousin had the same song at her wedding 3 WEEKS before ours, but we had chosen it ourselves (her DJ chose for her) and there was no way I was changing it.

L'sMommy
12-03-2009, 09:28 PM

OMG, this was our "next to last song" that only DH and I danced to! We saw the movie when we were dating and after the movie DH said he wants to find someone he can grow old with.

Our first dance was All My Life by Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville.

vludmilla
12-03-2009, 09:33 PM
DH picked our wedding song. He is such a romantic. He chose "Suddenly" by KD Lang. It's an awesome song but I don't think many people know it.

mamica
12-03-2009, 09:42 PM
I love this thread! Ours was "Happy Together" by The Turtles.

ThreeofUs
12-03-2009, 10:54 PM
We didn't dance at our wedding, but we did plenty of dancing otherwise!

Our favorite song for dancing was Nat King Cole's "Out of an Orange Colored Sky", and we would swing our hearts out to it.

SnuggleBuggles
12-03-2009, 11:00 PM
It Had to be You

Beth

mom2binsd
12-03-2009, 11:05 PM
"When I'm With You" by Sherriff...followed by "The way you look tonight" the Sintra version.

karenj2
12-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Mine was a Christian song - "I Will Be Here" - by Steven Curtis Chapman... I loved the lyrics!!

Tomorrow morning if you wake
up and the sun does not appear
I will be here
If in the dark, we lose sight of love
Hold my hand, and have no fear
'Cause I will be here

I will be here
When you feel like being quiet
When you need to speak your mind
I will listen
And I will be here
When the laughter turns to cryin'
Through the winning, losing and trying
We'll be together
I will be here

Tomorrow morning, if you wake up
And the future is unclear
I will be here
Just as sure as seasons were made for change
Our lifetimes were made for these years
So I will be here

I will be here
And you can cry on my shoulder
When the mirror tells us we're older
I will hold you
And I will be here
To watch you grow in beauty
And tell you all the things you are to me
I will be here

I will be true to the promise I have made
To you and to the One who gave you to me

Tomorrow morning, if you wake up
And the sun does not appear
I will be here
Oh, I will be here

Happy 2B mommy
12-04-2009, 02:28 AM
Another Etta James "At Last".

drako
12-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Someone Like You - Van Morrison

MoJo
12-04-2009, 09:35 AM
I haven't answered this one, because I'm embarrassed to say, I can't remember!

However, it may have been "Can't Help Falling in Love" by Elvis Presley.

Thanks, Michellerw, for the reminder!

(We didn't have lessons, or a band, and the reception time was so crunched by the pictures after the wedding that we almost didn't get to dance at all. We only got the one dance, I didn't get to dance with my dad, and no one else got to dance. NOT at all what I wanted.)