PDA

View Full Version : If you have granite, how tall are your kitchen countertops?

justlearning
12-03-2009, 02:04 PM
We're thinking about replacing our tile kitchen countertops with granite, but it will mean that our countertop height will be decreased by 1" if we do so. (They would rip out the 2" high tile countertop we have and replace it with a 1" granite slab.)

So, I'm wondering how high are your countertops if you have granite (measured from floor to top of the countertop)? If you also lost height when going from tile to granite, did you miss that inch or so?

DH is 6'8" and I'm 5'9" so having the lowered height does worry me, although I'd love to have a granite slab.

Joolsplus2
12-03-2009, 02:07 PM
36", but this house has had granite since 'birth'. How tall are your counters currently? I'd say 36" is quite a comfortable height for tallish people.

AnnieW625
12-03-2009, 02:09 PM
I honestly don't think that granite slab is worth all that worry. We got it in our house because it came with the house, but I don't know if I would do it over again. I'd much prefer other counter tops like recycled glass, butcher block, and in the right kitchen concrete slab. I think you might be able to work more with the height of the slab with something like butcher block or concrete. Not sure about the recycled glass, but I know just from looking that Corian, granite, and Zodiac all look to be the same thickness as granite. I am pretty sure ours are 36" and standard.

justlearning
12-03-2009, 02:35 PM
36", but this house has had granite since 'birth'. How tall are your counters currently? I'd say 36" is quite a comfortable height for tallish people.

Intersting... Our counters are currently 37 1/4" so I guess they'd still be standard height if we lost the inch. But I still wonder if we'd miss that inch, especially for DH who is abnormally tall. :)

khalloc
12-03-2009, 04:09 PM
36" is standard regardless of countertop material.

cono0507
12-03-2009, 04:17 PM
5'10 and 6'4. Ours are 36 inches. We replaced our old laminate countertops with slab granite a few years ago and love it.

SkyrMommy
12-03-2009, 04:44 PM
5'9" both, 36" granite topped... love the look and use of them way better than any manufactured top.