PDA

View Full Version : Hot water from tap is cloudy- doesn't go away. What could cause this?

cdlamis
12-03-2009, 06:50 PM
We just moved to a new house and I noticed that the hot water in the bathtub never seems clear. I just filled 2 glass jars of water from the tap- one cold and one hot. 2 hrs later, the hot water is still cloudy- not colored, but not at all clear. What could cause this? The hot water heater? I am so disturbed by this that I haven't taken a hot bath since moving in. :(

Any ideas? I really, really hope its not the water heater since we just replaced the heater in our old house a month before moving. Ugh!

TIA~

sariana
12-03-2009, 07:33 PM
It could be the water heater. It may need to be flushed out (I don't think that's what the process is really called). It doesn't mean you need a new water heater.

In an apartment years ago, I was drawing water for a bath. A bunch of black gunk came out. The water heater needed to be flushed out. That took care of the problem.

I think this is supposed to be done about once a year, but most people don't do it (or even know about it).

ThreeofUs
12-03-2009, 08:49 PM
It really doesn't go away? Is it from all your taps? Does it look like particles in the water, or like flakes, or ?

Usually (as I'm sure you know!) this is from dissolved air in the water, but it should clear pretty quickly.

If it's not going away, is from all your taps, and doesn't look like tiny bubbles (use a magnifying glass to see), then you might have a hot water heater or water softener problem.