PDA

View Full Version : What Portrait Studio Do You Use?

shawnandangel
12-03-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm wondering because I called Sears today and they were rude. I then called JC Penny and they said their sessions were only 10 minutes and there were no outfit changes allowed. Umm how do you expect to get a nice family portrait and pictures of DD in 10 minutes?

I went to the Olan Mills website but their pictures did not look so great.

ohiomom1121
12-03-2009, 07:00 PM
We've had good experiences at Kiddie Kandids, and horrible at Picture People. Unfortunately with most places it's luck of the draw as to whether you get a good photographer.

inmypjs
12-03-2009, 07:06 PM
We go to Target and Portrait Innovations. I like Target because you can buy single sheets for 3.99, and I usually have some other coupons to stack too. They have done a nice job with individual portraits for my kids as well as pics of them together. I prefer Portrait Innovations when we do family portraits. For me, they've done a better job arranging all of us and getting a nice variety of good shots. We usually go to PI once/year around the holidays, and then I do other pics at Target. HTH!

AnnieW625
12-03-2009, 07:08 PM
We have done Target three times and they were very nice, but the last time we took my really shy daughter there the photographer wasn't as energetic as the previous one who is now a manager with the company. We last did Kiddie Kandids and loved them. I honestly think it depends on the photographer.

cindys
12-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Well, we have been everywhere...

Picture People - Hit or Miss...Only go when I have free coupons..One time had a GREAT experience, the next time they screwed up so bad they ended up giving me a bunch of free pictures.

Pennys - Have been taking my kids there since my oldest was a baby...Kinda behind the times to me with their posings, backgrounds and ordering process...Cheap though, if you have coupons with no sitting fee. I have pretty much always been happy..But waiting 2 weeks for photos bugs me..

Olan Mills - Every since they have gone to Kmart I think they stink and even if you have a coupon they still charge you shipping and handling.

Portrait Innovations - I go when they are doing the special for $9.95..Now the downside is that its only one pose and they do try and get you to buy crazy expensive packages but if you can stick with the one pose you get tons of pictures and sizes...Also, they seem to love to use dark backgrounds which makes everyone look like they have suntans..It just might be where I go but another girlfriend of mine had the same issue and she went to a different studio..They seem to LOVE the brown backgrounds.

Sears - Never again.

Target - Never been.

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...18, 3 & 1:love-retry::love-retry::love-retry:

sariana
12-03-2009, 07:26 PM
We use JCPenney, We have been able to schedule double sessions (back-to-back), and they have always allowed clothing changes. So I don't get that response at all.

Also, the pictures now come back in about week, not two weeks as in the past. They also have streamlined their upload system, so we don't have to sit around forever waiting for the images to come up on the screen. We were there a couple of weekends ago, and the whole process from arrival to departure took less than an hour, and most of that was my inability to choose poses. (A session from beginning to end used to take as long as 2 1/2 hours--no kidding.)

The only thing I don't like is that the coupon can be used only on the day the photos are taken. If you decide later that you want more of something, you have to pay full price. (Or you can buy the CD with all the poses and copyright release for around $100.)

Back in September we had some shots taken of DH in his uniform with me and the kids. We didn't like how the final pictures turned out, and they did a new session for us at no charge (that is, we could get the same selection of shots--we are Portrait Club members and never pay sitting fees). We actually like the new shots so much better that we ended up getting more of them (and paid just the difference).

carolinamama
12-03-2009, 07:28 PM
I've done JCPenny's, Sears, and Picture People. I don't do any of those anymore and am afraid of trying the other chains like that. We had one good experience at JCP, but other than that, I have felt robbed when I go to pay since the pics weren't anything great. We now go to a local independent studio that is not as cheap as the others but not nearly as expensive as most independent photographers. The same photographers have been there for years and you get a personal feel that you can't get at the other places. For instance, they crop, photoshop and can work with colors etc. if you ask after seeing the proofs. Call around - you may find a place like this around your area.

cindys
12-03-2009, 07:28 PM
I am sooo happy to hear about Pennys!

I will try them again..The last time we were there which was in June, they were still slow as molasses.

I was a club member up until a year ago...

sariana
12-03-2009, 07:36 PM
I will try them again..The last time we were there which was in June, they were still slow as molasses.

Our studio has been steadily improving (speed-wise) over the last year or so. I don't know whether the new process has been adopted at all studios, so you may want to check with yours before making an appointment for anything.

fattytuna
12-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Picture People. But it's a love and hate relationship for me. It depends on who you get, how overbooked they are, and if their equipment is working. When it's bad, we've waited for over 40 minutes after our appointment time. It was pretty bad when the kids were young, 'cuz by then they are bored and tired. There was also one time after we finally went through the whole picking out the prints we wanted, their printer broke. Why they only had one working printer that day, I have no idea. I had to go back to pick up the prints the next day. But if you get a nice, patient, quick on the trigger photographer, the pictures turn out great.

I just had DC's Xmas photos taken right before two days before Thanksgiving. They were fully booked the entire week. The girl that answered the phone told me to show up right when they open. A lot of times people with appointments don't show up right away when they open so they will squeeze you in. So this time worked out great for us. So if you want to try Picture People, my advice would be try to make an appointment at the time they open and be there on time.

brittone2
12-03-2009, 07:46 PM
We prefer Portrait Innovations in this area, but I think that personal preference for a studio really varies depending on the photographers working there, etc. We have had far better experiences with PI than Picture People and other studios. Ours has never pressured us to buy more, but they usually get so many great pics of my kids that I spend close to $100. I usually do an outfit change and when we do holiday photos I get individual non-holiday photos of the kids too because DD has a Dec. bday.

hillview
12-03-2009, 07:49 PM
We did picture people recently and had a great experience. We have the first appt of the day (9 am) which is TOTALLY the way to go IMO.
/hillary

fortato
12-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Is there a Clix near you??

I have nothing but great things to say about them. PLUS- you don't have to buy the prints from them- you can get a CD with up to 30 pictures on it, and you own the copyright, so you can get them printed anywhere!

Gena
12-03-2009, 08:22 PM
We hace had great experieces at Kiddie Kandids. It's really hard to get good photos of DS because it's difficult to get him to cooperate. But the photographers at Kiddie Kandids always work patiently with him and manage to get good shots that capture his personality.

We started using KK when we lived in Michigan and there was one relatively close-by. Now that we're in Ohio our closest KK is a little over an hour away. So we've tried Sears and JCPenny. We were not happy with the Sears photos at all. The JCPenny photos tuned out nice, but the whole process there was very stressful on DS. So we've always gone back to KK. But a Portait Innovations opened here recently and I would like to try them.

SnuggleBuggles
12-03-2009, 10:22 PM
I was fine with Sears, Penneys and the Picture People. For Picture People I dislike having to have them do their preset poses- it's annoying and it wastes time. When you have a toddler with limited patience it's much better to get to business for the shots we want. It hasn't been that bad.

Do a search for my thread on Portrait Innovations. I am not a fan.

Sears, I never was told 10m was a limit. But, I also ever tried to go in the heat of a holiday season. If you can do an off time you might have better luck.
Beth

MmeSunny
12-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Sears was horrible, cheesy and would not return my money after a very painful failed adoption. I will never spend a dime with them again.

PP was fine but expensive. I liked that I could change clothes, etc, but the prints looked off of an amateur's home printer. If I was paying (it was MIL) I wouldn't have bought any.

JCPenney can be amazing or a dud. But that's where I go now. There's one photog who is just the bomb. Absolutely amazing. DD, who hates everyone, loves her. Anne-Marie--she can get the kid to do anything, even without bribing her with smarties, which is my back up plan.

However, reorders are killer $14.95/sheet vs. 3.99 coupon price (always available on their website. Print the coupon first.) They will not back down no matter how many coupons/visits you have. That to me is just wrong. Almost 4x the price for reorders? Come on.

I always get plain backgrounds and they don't have that cheesy Walmart studio vibe Sears has. JCP already had a Christmas set up when we showed up this time and I let them take a few, reluctantly. They came out amazing. A pretty, tasteful tree with real maroon and gold ornaments and a real wooden sleigh for her to sit on. I dropped $100 by the time it was over. I NEVER spend that on pictures!

MamaMolly
12-03-2009, 10:29 PM
I really like Kiddie Kandids. They are the ones at BRU. Even at the last minute last year I phoned and got a same day appointment for DD and for family shots. You get them right away and the prices are up front. They have the usual upgrade options, but I spent WAY more at Target, Penneys and Sears and wasn't as happy with the results, plus they had a much harder push for the upgrades. At KK I made it clear what I wanted up front and they delivered each time. HTH.

tylersmama
12-03-2009, 10:45 PM
JCPenney can be amazing or a dud. But that's where I go now. There's one photog who is just the bomb.
:yeahthat:

We've been going to JCPenney since DS was 3 months old. The first two sessions (3 mo and 6 mo) were just ok, but for the second one the studio was chaotic and they kept us waiting for over 45 minutes. With a 6 mo and an appointment that had been carefully scheduled to avoid nursing and naptime. I was not happy, so I switched to a different studio and stumbled onto a gem. This studio is NEVER busy, and our photographer is amazing. Even when DS is at his most uncooperative, she's always managed to get some great photos to choose from. I request her every time we go in. We were just in yesterday for some Christmas photos, and she took my whiney, clingy, unhappy child and turned him into a smiling, goofing around, big ol' ham.

It's fantastic that they've streamlined the process, too. We used to have to go waste half an hour or so wandering around the mall while they uploaded the photos and added the special effects, but it's now instantaneous (and our photographer knows that I really don't want much in the way of the special pictures, so she only does a couple of those). We had a 1:20 appointment yesterday and were out the door, photo session done and photos ordered, by 2. The photos will be ready next Wednesday.

WatchingThemGrow
12-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Portrait Innovations. Once you learn how they work and how to get what you want in there, it's great! I love walking around and picking up high quality portraits in 15 min. Going back a week or so later doesn't work for me.

shawnandangel
12-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Sigh. No Kiddie Kandids or Clix near me. I do like the background for the Sears that I found online. I guess I'll keep my appointment and see how it goes.

Sears was not the one who told me 10 minute session, it was Penny's. Sears was just rude with me on the phone. :(

happymom
12-04-2009, 12:20 AM
I've taken DD to Picture People 4x so far and have only had good experiences. The first time we went we became members and I have popped in there spontaneously 3x since then while shopping in the mall and had fabulous experiences each time. Those last 3 times were all free because I used coupons and the punch-outs on my membership card. I love that! And they really give you just as much attention and time even if you tell them you are only planning on getting the free portrait.

One of the times, DD was scared of the photographer and was crying in my arms- he started snapping shots of me comforting her (although I wasnt planning on being in the pictures) and we now have a beautiful black & white photo of DD cuddling on me. I was impressed that he was able to get great photos in a not-s-great situation.

Nyfeara
12-04-2009, 09:51 AM
We've been using Kiddie Kandids & are very pleased. The photographers are good at getting DS to interact & smile. Their prop and background selections are great for us. They usually only need about 15-20 mins to snap the shots & we have great photos to choose from. We always decide before we get there, what package we're interested in. You wait 15 mins for the photos to print & you're done. And we can keep him entertained during the wait by wandering around BRU.

We recently went to JCP for some photos with DS's little cousin. We had to wait over an hour from our scheduled appt time, with a 6 month old & 18 month old - that was not pleasant. Then the photog kept leaving our 'shoot' to help the girl outside who was helping a walk-in choose photos. The other employee didn't know how to use the computer properly. Getting the photos taken took another hour. Then my mom had to wait a couple weeks for the photos to arrive. I won't ever use them. KK is more expensive but worth it considering the reduced stress level & better quality, IMO.

MoJo
12-04-2009, 10:08 AM
I always get ALOT more than 10 minutes at Sears. In fact, the last two times, I finally said, "That's enough!" The last time, I had three photographers all working on just getting good pics of my 17-mo old.

I totally agree with the first thing in the morning appointment. . . or the first thing after lunch, if your studio closes for lunch, whichever slot is best for you, at whichever studio you choose. That strategy works for doctor's offices too. . . any place that has the potential to get backed up will do so more and more as the day goes on.

The toll free number for Sears is HORRIBLE (and if you call the local Sears, and say you want the portrait studio, you get transferred to the 800 number, not the in-store studio.) The manager now gives out the direct line (it's not in the phone book or the website). They are usually very busy, and sometimes you have to leave a message and let them call you back. But at least they do call, and the staff at our studio does an unbelievable job at multi-tasking.

I'd have to drive an hour to get to most of the other options. . . we don't have any PP, PI, OM etc in the closer city of 70,000.

But for a completely different option, I now know or know of several individuals who are just starting out as photographers. I've learned about their work through facebook (I've noticed that several of my friends have become "fans" of these people, in several different states), and really want to explore that option when DC#2 is born. Most of them don't have a studio, and because they aren't established, they don't charge what other independent photographers do. Most of them seem to do outdoors/location based &/or home-based photography. I really love some of their work, and am looking forward to trying that for the next family picture.

DebbieJ
12-04-2009, 12:07 PM
we've been very pleased with Portrait Innovations, but they sell you hard on ordering a bunch of prints. You have to go in there with a game plan.

But now we use a private photographer that comes to our house or meets us on location. She charges $75 sitting fee, but gives you $25 towards prints. It is VERY painless and she will redo them if you don't like them (which she did for ds2's newborn pics).

If you're in south Chicagoland, give her a try! http://www.angelmphoto.com/