PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have LASIK done in the past year or so?

AmyZ
12-03-2009, 09:03 PM
I've been endlessly debating whether or not to get Lasik. Today my eye doctor said that technology has really improved in the last year or two. I'm looking to revisit the subject, yet again.

I have large pupils, so there is a higher chance for me of having halos or night time glare.... that has been a big concern.

Anyone willing to share experiences?

wellyes
12-03-2009, 09:12 PM
I had LASIK, oh about 4 years ago. I think it's constantly improving. It's better now than when I got it, and it will be better in 2012 than it is now. But IMO the younger you are when you get it, the better off you are. They say that most people, even with Lasik, will need reading glasses by the time they reach 50 or so. So the earlier you get it, the more glasses-free years you have.

It is one of the best things I've ever done for myself and I would recommend it to anyone with very bad vision. Based on the info available when I got the surgery I would not necessarily recommend it to someone who only needs glasses sometimes or with almost-good vision because you CAN get better results with corrective lenses than with LASIK.

But I had terrible vision .... -9 and -11 (or was it -13? can't remember anymore!), with astigmatisms in both eyes. I could not see 4 inches in front of my face. Being glasses free has changed my life. I was scared of night glare too, but it's never been an issue for me.

bigpassport
12-03-2009, 10:03 PM
I had LASIK, oh about 4 years ago. I think it's constantly improving. It's better now than when I got it, and it will be better in 2012 than it is now. But IMO the younger you are when you get it, the better off you are. They say that most people, even with Lasik, will need reading glasses by the time they reach 50 or so. So the earlier you get it, the more glasses-free years you have.

It is one of the best things I've ever done for myself and I would recommend it to anyone with very bad vision. Based on the info available when I got the surgery I would not necessarily recommend it to someone who only needs glasses sometimes or with almost-good vision because you CAN get better results with corrective lenses than with LASIK.

But I had terrible vision .... -9 and -11 (or was it -13? can't remember anymore!), with astigmatisms in both eyes. I could not see 4 inches in front of my face. Being glasses free has changed my life. I was scared of night glare too, but it's never been an issue for me.

:yeahthat: LASIK is one of the BEST investments and decisions I've ever made. Like PP, my contact lens prescription was -7.5 and the last I remember I was 20/800. I could not see the alarm clock next to my bed and would have to pick it up to see the numbers. I had LASIK about 4 years ago also. I am now 20/20 and had zero complications. No problems with night vision, halos, dryness or anything.

I also agree with PP that it depends on how bad your eyes are. But if you depend on contacts or glasses to just walk around your house, I recommend it.

AmyZ
12-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks. My eyes are definitely bad enough, and my prescription has not really changed over the past few years. I'm done having kids, so hormone stuff should not be an issue. I'm 35, so I'd like to have a few more years before I need reading glasses! :)