PDA

View Full Version : Post about why boys are great?

goodnightmoon
12-03-2009, 11:22 PM
I think I remember a post about why girls are so wonderful (posted by a mom who wanted a boy, maybe?), but am not having luck searching about expecting boys or girls.

I have 2 sweet, sweet little girls and thought our next baby would be another girl. We just found out we're having a boy and I'm a little scared. The boys in my neighborhood are really rough, breaking little kids' toys, fighting, chasing animals, etc. I do believe that in their cases, parenting has a lot to do with it, but I'm still scared and a little sad.

Please let me know why boys are so wonderful! I know they are, of course, but would love to hear about it. :) And if anyone can find a previous post about the same, I'd love to see it.

Thanks in advance everyone!

crl
12-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Well, I only have a boy right now and I haven't seen the post on girls so maybe this isn't quite what you are looking for. But I can tell you some things that are wonderful about my boy.

I've had multiple people independantly tell me what a great big brother he would be because he's always been so sweet with kids littler than him. Even when he was little (say 2) he would watch out for babies and be careful not to step on them. He used to very gently hug one of our friends' babies. Now he really enjoys showing littler kids how to do things and he routinely helps other kids find things they've lost, etc. He actually oohs and ahhs over baby clothes much better than DH does.

He's not destructive. He's never broken another kid's toy. In fact, we've left our laptops laying around since he was about 2 and he's never broken one. In general, he's never even messed around with our stuff.

He's got ssooo much energy. One of his preschool teachers told me she had given up on having him "walk" in line. He bounces in line instead. She figured that he was staying in line and not touching other kids and that was good enough.

He can climb anything and has been able to since he was really little. Freaks some moms out, but he's never fallen and it's great for me to see my kid be so competent at something I totally sucked at.

We're hoping to complete a domestic adoption this spring and the expectant mother who plans to place with us is having a girl. I never thought I'd say this, but boy clothes are actually cuter.

Catherine

baymom
12-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Congrats on your pregnancy, Laura! I don't remember a previous thread on why boys are wonderful, but I want to pipe in about my experiences... DS is 5 and such a joy to us. Very loving, affectionate and often more gentle then his sister! His relationship with me is so tender and special...and it is so fun for me to have a 'momma's boy.' He is always trying to make us laugh with his jokes, songs, ect and is so sensitive about anyone's feelings getting hurt. Sure, he does things that make me sprout white hair on the spot (climbing, jumping, not able to asses risk/injury potential very well) but that's just being a boy, I've come to realize. At his core, he is such a love and I think that's the case for most boys. Especially in your case, I would imagine--with the influence of two older sisters! Congrats again--he'll be just a joy to your family!

misshollygolightly
12-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Well, I'm an only child and very girly...so it was a shock to my system when I found out our baby was going to be a boy! I mean, who am I going to pass my American Girl Doll collection on to??? :ROTFLMAO: But so far, having a boy has been AWE.SOME. I'm LOVING it!!! First off, there are some ADORABLE baby boy clothes out there! Dressing him has been SO much fun :bouncy: I also love the way he plays with his toy cars. Making "Brrrm brrrm vrrooom" noises at each other is a lot of fun! (Not that you can't do that with girls, but a lot of boys seem to be especially fascinated with it!) Also, and this may sound weird or silly, but it's kind of cool to see parts of yourself--physically and personality-wise--in a child of the opposite sex. It's just really interesting. There are lots of other things, I know, but I'm sleepy and this post is already too long. Congratulations on your little boy!

srhs
12-03-2009, 11:46 PM
I think the thread you are looking for is:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=334398

Everyone tells me boys love their mamas. :love-retry: Their clothes are a lot cheaper too. And they crack me up.

goldenpig
12-03-2009, 11:57 PM
I so get where you are coming from. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for being scared/disappointed. Feelings like that are totally normal. In fact I just posted the same exact question a few months ago:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=334398

Here's another thread about the topic recently:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=342397
Someone posted about a website that discusses gender disappointment and there's a whole forum dedicated to the topic. I read some posts and it was very helpful.
http://www.in-gender.com/gender_disappointment/

Right now it's mostly about getting used to things not being what you expected--it's all so abstract. But I am slowly warming up to the idea of having a boy. I bought a few new blue outfits for the baby and I think we may have a name for him now (I let DD pick between DH and my favorite name and she has started to call my belly by name and say "Hi baby brother!"). So that is helping me to bond. It takes time but I think once he's actually here it'll all be fine. Good luck and congrats on your upcoming son!!!

wencit
12-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Let me tell you a little story that epitomizes why I love my boys so much. When I was in the hospital having DS2, my mom stayed home to watch DS1. One day she was rummaging through the refrigerator when she noticed some of the shelves were dirty (i.e. crumbs and stains on them). She told DS1 she was going to have to talk to me about being more clean, but DS1 got REALLY angry and defensive at her. He shouted, "NO!!!! Don't yell at my Mommy!"

:love5:

And here's another, slightly more disturbing, story. The other day, DH and I were goofing around upstairs while we were cleaning the house, and DS1 was watching TV downstairs. DH jokingly threatened to vacuum me, so I called down the stairs, "Oh no! Daddy is going to vacuum me!" In a split second, DS1 was racing up the stairs with his wooden knife, screaming, "No, no, Daddy! Don't vacuum Mommy!!! I cut you!" Somehow I was both incredibly touched and disturbed at the same time. (We had a long talk afterward about how knives are only used to cut food!)

All I can say is that it's so true that boys love their mommies. And on his wedding day, I'm going to cry sooo many tears!!!

dcmom2b3
12-04-2009, 12:09 AM
I'm not a mom to a boy, but Bunny's best friend is a boy, and he is a wonderful, wonderful person. He's kind, he's funny as heck and has a sincerity and earnestness about him that is astonishing.

No aggression or other stereotypically negative "boy" behavior. He helps her into her stroller at the end of our park playdates, not because anyone's told him to, just because it's what he feels.

He's waaay nicer than she is, and on more than one occasion I've promised myself that I won't let my daughter break that boy's heart.

Melanie
12-04-2009, 12:10 AM
They don't turn into miniature drama queens before they even hit the first grade! Or after.

Honestly, in my 8 years of boy-parenting the only draw back is how hard it is to find cute clothing past age 2. So all in all, not bad.

g-mama
12-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Boys are awesome.

One thing that amazes me these days is that when we are the bus stop at 8:30 each morning, my 9yo and 6yo ds say "I love you, mommy" and hug and kiss me before they get on the bus. Moms of girls have commented that their daughters would not do that, they try to be more "cool" than that and how sweet it is that my sons are not ashamed to express their feelings and attachment to me.

I have gone to school and had lunch w/ my 3rd grader twice this school year and he is so happy to have me there. He includes me in the conversation at the lunch table, holds my hand, tells me I look pretty... Friends have told me their daughters, by this age, have distanced somewhat and act like they're embarassed their moms are even there.

My sons give me compliments, get upset if they think their dad is picking on me, and have told me they hope they marry a girl like me.

Boys really, really do love and admire their mamas.

zephyr
12-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Not trying to start an argument here or anything, but I'm sorry, I just don't understand threads like this. "why are boys so great?" Are you KIDDING me? As if girls are so much more superior and better? There are so many people out there getting fertility treatments just so they could have a BABY, that would be pleased with either gender. Or those who have had or are going through miscarriages, who would be thrilled to carry a baby full term. Just my opinion. Like I said, I'm not starting an argument, and I know people are going to say that I don't have to reply to or read this thread but I just don't get these types of topics.

MontrealMum
12-04-2009, 12:35 AM
I never ever thought I'd be a boy mom. But here I am, mom to a nearly 28 month old DS. And he is the most amazing little guy in the whole world (OK, I'm a bit biased :) )

Yes, he's a ball of non-stop energetic, tornado-like stickiness. But he also helps me "clean" and cook, and is so amazingly sweet. His daycare teachers love him and always tell me how sweet and helpful he is (which is great to hear when he's having a wonderful Terrible Two's day at home!). According to them, he's been amazingly welcoming when they transitioned in some younger kids towards the end of the summer - helping them find toys, finding them somewhere to sit, patting them on the head and hugging. He likes music and reading - two of my favorite things. He brings me Kleenex when I cry and gives me hugs and says "I lug you Mommy". (we're working on the English) Although he loves DH too, I am his primary, preferred person. And I'l be honest - I love that.

I'm sure many little girls do all these things too...in fact, I know they do...DS has two very close friends that are girls, so I get to observe girl-behavior as well. I just want to mention that boys can also be sweet and gentle, and they aren't all rough and tumble, all the time. They're quite endearing as you're pulling them off the counters or discouraging them from tossing things into the toilet. And my DS has inherited my love for shopping and shoes!!!

Honestly, if we are lucky enough to have another, I really wouldn't mind having another boy at all, in fact, I might welcome it (though I would welcome a little girl equally). Sure, I won't be passing down my pointe shoes, playing with makeup or doing hair, but there are still lots of things my DS and I can do together, that my mom did with me when I was little. I think sometimes we let gender role stereotypes be very limiting.

elektra
12-04-2009, 12:54 AM
After having DD, I would have been thrilled with another girl, even though I had always thought it would be great to have "one of each". Girls are just so cute and fun. Now I know DS is not even a year old yet, but I am really glad I have a son. Even just saying "my son" brings a small thrill to me. It's like I have this great opportunity to raise him to be a great man someday, and I really want to do a good job. So far he seems more sensitive than DD too, so they are not the typical sensitive girl/ tough boy personalities.

DrSally
12-04-2009, 01:00 AM
Boys are awesome! Before having kids, I have to say I was prob partial to girls, but I thank god we had DS. He is just the sweetest, most gentle, funny, kind, sensitive little guy. I wouldn't have it any other way. He is so protective and helpful with DD. I can see him being a great boyfriend, husband to someone someday.

ETA: ITA with pp's about boys loving their mamas. I saw a shirt at the Gap that had a heart with wings and said "mama's boy". I just had to get it for him (me). Out of the blue, DS will just hug me and look up with the lovey-ist eyes and say "I just always love you, Mommy". It's fun to see the sweet, tender core of a boy, as for so many men, society has made them stuff that part of themselves away. It reminds you that many men that seem so tough on the outside were once tender-hearted boys.

Tondi G
12-04-2009, 01:14 AM
Oh don't be scared... BOYS ARE FANTASTIC!!!!

I have 2 boys and we have secretly wanted a girl each time. Honestly I can't imagine life without my 2 boys. My boys are BOYS! They are energetic, they can be loud, they can play rough together (and with us) but they can also be SO tender and sweet. The cuddles I get from my boys are so amazing. Boys LOVE their mamas too (they love to tell me how nice I look if I am trying something on or dressing up some). Both my boys are very protective of mommy too. They are easy as far as clothing goes... I still get from my 8 year old, "hey mom, can you pick out some clothes for me... so they go together". My poor neighbor is going through it with her suddenly opinionated 2 year old DD... they have battles daily about clothes or shoes or accessories (we NEVER have issues like that)! My boys LOVE animals... my 4 year old would stay for hours in a petting zoo or pet store if I would let him. He also has recently become very aware of babies and loves to point them out and ooh and ahh about how little or how cute the baby is. We are big on manners in our house and my boys are very polite... my DH is also big on being chivalrous(sp?) so they have learned to hold doors and wait for ladies to get out of the elevator first. People often comment on their good manner and behavior.

Boys play differently than girls for sure. You'll get to explore a whole new world of toys and fun. We do spend a lot of time outside... playing, riding bikes etc. I think you will be surprised at how much you enjoy having a son. I keep crossing my fingers that I can convince DH to try for a 3rd and that we will be blessed with a little girl cause I would love to have the opportunity to have a daughter and get to experience all things girl. Sometimes I think about it though and wonder if I will enjoy it as much as I do being a mom to boys? All I know is when DH sees younger girls with not enough clothes on he says "oh man thats why I am happy I have boys". If we are over at his best friends house and his DD is screaching and screaming bloody murder when her brother pushes her he looks at me with that look like "thank god I have boys!" LOL.... don't know if we are cut out to have a daughter!

Boys are so much fun... you are going to LOVE it!

kransden
12-04-2009, 01:17 AM
Boys like mud :D

cindys
12-04-2009, 01:30 AM
I have 3 boys and they are just fantastic!!

Full of spunk, energy, imagination and yes DRAMA..haha..

And by the way...There is nothing cuter than a little boy in a pair of jeans and a baseball cap :love5:

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...18, 3 & 1 :love-retry::love-retry::love-retry:

sste
12-04-2009, 01:52 AM
Another vote for boys love their mamas! It is nice to be the object of so much adoration - - DS even named his first doll after me "Mama-baby."

Also, I don't think the personality stereotypes run true (though in my experience the boy vehicle obsession did). DS is sweet and extremely affectionate; DH for that matter is way more emotional, sensitive, and generous than his sister or me for that matter.

I do understand having a certain gender in your mind. At some point I would like a girl but it is not about personality or girls being a certain way, it is solely about liking girl names and cute girl clothes! And perhaps a little about hoping a girl would give DH the chance to be the adored one in the early years . . .

Melanie
12-04-2009, 04:40 AM
Also, I don't think the personality stereotypes run true (though in my experience the boy vehicle obsession did). DS is sweet and extremely affectionate; DH for that matter is way more emotional, sensitive, and generous than his sister or me for that matter.

Same here. THough I've seen plenty of "rough and tumble" boys, I think it's part nature, part nuture. I've seen a shocking amount of sex-role socialization with boys (well, and girls.."you're such a PRINCESS!" Puke, please) that can lead them down the rough boy paths. Or the times someone has said as an excuse for, what I consider to be inappropriate behavior, "oh they're BOYS." Uh, okay. Your boys can be hooligans, mine is not and has no desire to be.

I don't mean to talk down my daughter, but let's just say I've had to rise to more challenging occasions in her 4 years than in his 8. ;)

goodnightmoon
12-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Thank you, everyone! I love reading the stories and look forward to being a proud mom of a boy with my own stories next year. :)

goodnightmoon
12-04-2009, 09:39 AM
I've had 3 miscarriages, so believe me, I know what blessings I have in my life.

Perhaps I did not word my post well, but I KNOW I will love the baby and that he will be wonderful. I just wanted to read other moms' stories to get me excited about how different he might be from my girls.

I'm thankful that the other moms knew what I was trying to express.

SnuggleBuggles
12-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Yesterday I was helping one of ds1's classmates shop at the school's holiday shop and he was looking for a gift for his 10yo sister. I suggested soap b/c big sisters are so smelly. Big grin in response and he agreed. :) Boys are just so fun.

You couldn't pry my boys away from me and switch them into girls. I love their boy-ness. It is truly awesome.

Beth

truly scrumptious
12-04-2009, 10:49 AM
He includes me in the conversation at the lunch table, holds my hand, tells me I look pretty...

My sons give me compliments, get upset if they think their dad is picking on me, and have told me they hope they marry a girl like me.

:love5:
This is so wonderful to hear. My DS is 14 months and is such a doll, but reading this makes me feel so lucky to be a momma of a boy. I can't wait to have moments like this with him!

belovedgandp
12-04-2009, 10:49 AM
As the mom to two boys now expecting our first girl in April, I totally get what you are saying, just from the opposite side. I feel like I have this boy thing down. There are several things I see in girls (especially my K boys friends) that are totally different to deal with and I'm not quite sure I'm prepared for that.

I must say that I do have two polite and gentle boys. They are also total Daddy's boys, but love me all the same. Yes, they have energy that is rare in the girls we hang with.

Broad generalizations, but here's my experience:

Boys are more physically exhausting at younger ages. 1 1/2 to 3 is a crazy active time.

Boy clothes are boring - stripes and ball over age 3 are your only choices, but it's much easier and cheaper to dress them.

Boys roll with the punches easier. Yes, we've had some drama (5 1/2 brought that on) but not nearly the sass or attitude seen so early from girls. They just don't hold the grudges and can be re-directed much easier.

My only warning is that the slap-stick and potty humor gene is somehow hardwired in them; it comes out early and I have not been able to remove it.

pb&j
12-04-2009, 10:56 AM
My boy is rough and tumble, and full of energy. But, we also work constantly with him on manners and being thoughtful.

Boys are great because:
-Burps and farts ARE funny
-All you need to keep them occupied at a restaurant is a matchbox car or two
-You need the kind of education about construction vehicles that a 3 year old boy can give you
-You get to raise a boy into the kind of man you wish all men could be
-They can be polite, sweet, affectionate, kind, and loving. Seeing how gentle DS has been with DD makes my heart melt.

Boys are great!!

khalloc
12-04-2009, 11:05 AM
I had a girl first and my 2nd was a boy. I thought I would have another girl. I wasnt disappointed to learn we were having a boy, just a tiny bit surprised...

Anyways, little boys are WONDERFUL! Mine is 20 months old. He is the sweetest little boy ever. he loves to kiss and hug me. He is very attached to his momma. he loves being silly. He cracks himself up over the simplest things. He is a lady's man (boy). Very handsome. I can't stop kissing him when I have him in my arms. I would love to have another boy if DH agrees to one more baby.

lizzywednesday
12-04-2009, 11:13 AM
My only warning is that the slap-stick and potty humor gene is somehow hardwired in them; it comes out early and I have not been able to remove it.

It may be hardwired, but if you don't make a big stink about it, they stop doing it to get that rise outta you!

One of my best moments with a little boy trying to get a rise of "ewww! gross!" out of me came while I was a teenager. My dad's lady-friend's son was 8, so totally into the belching on command thing. He belched one day while I was there, thinking it'd elicit the same kind of reaction his mom gave and was surprised when I didn't react. In fact, I looked the kid square in the eyes shook my head, grinned and said "come on, you can do better than that!" After that, he never belched in my presence again.

Then again, I have a divorced dad who acts like a teenager, 2 younger brothers (who've only now outgrown their disgusting habits), a slew of boy cousins and tons of guy friends. It doesn't phase me a bit.

Besides, who else is going to be interested in learning how to walk like a T-Rex??? (Not the nieces, I can tell you that! But the 3-y/o nephew thinks I am awesome because not only did I do that, but I also know all the names of the dinosaur models I bought for him to play with at my house!)

To be fair, my brothers are two of the most gentle, kid-friendly guys I have ever met in my life. My brother Ger, in particular, is so good with babies that his fiacee's friends are stunned when they see him with the infant-and-toddler set ... and my brother Joe is a huge hit with his friends' kids. I should be so lucky to raise sons as gentle as they are!

Momit
12-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Our little guy is 16 months old. I love when he grabs me by the ears (or hair) and lunges at me with his mouth open wide to give me a kiss. And I love how he finally learned to pet our dog and cat gently, and how he looks so proud when he's petting them the way we taught him. As others have said, he's a ball of energy and he's into everything - but I think those are good things! I have to go now, he's trying to climb the bookshelf! :)

Melanie
12-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Our little guy is 16 months old. I love when he grabs me by the ears (or hair) and lunges at me with his mouth open wide to give me a kiss. And I love how he finally learned to pet our dog and cat gently, and how he looks so proud when he's petting them the way we taught him. As others have said, he's a ball of energy and he's into everything - but I think those are good things! I have to go now, he's trying to climb the bookshelf! :)

LOL. This is where I have to say you just never know. You've just described my GIRL.

Congratulations to EVERYONE on the Blessings they are expecting!!

hellokitty
12-04-2009, 11:37 AM
I must say that I do have two polite and gentle boys. They are also total Daddy's boys, but love me all the same. Yes, they have energy that is rare in the girls we hang with.

Broad generalizations, but here's my experience:

Boys are more physically exhausting at younger ages. 1 1/2 to 3 is a crazy active time.

Boy clothes are boring - stripes and ball over age 3 are your only choices, but it's much easier and cheaper to dress them.

Boys roll with the punches easier. Yes, we've had some drama (5 1/2 brought that on) but not nearly the sass or attitude seen so early from girls. They just don't hold the grudges and can be re-directed much easier.

:yeahthat:

The funny things they do/say are the best. Oh and the one thing that melts my heart the most is that DS1 and DS2 are totally in love and protective of DS3. I honestly did not expect this, I thought that DS2 would probably be jealous of his little brother. I won't deny that I've always wanted girls, but I do love my boys. The hardest part is the earlier yrs, they are totally exhausting. It gets better after they turn 5 yrs old. Moms of little boys always gets lots of empathy from me, when we are at playgroups and the moms of boys are non-stop having to chase their little boys around.

HIU8
12-04-2009, 11:41 AM
DS is 5, and I have to admit that while I was PG I really thought he was a girl. However, I had a dream about being handed a boy and I just knew. My sister and I are the only girls out of the kids from 1 aunt and 3 uncles (there are a total of 8 boys). Having said that, DS is so great. He is so sweet and loving and inquisitive and he looks A LOT like me. He does have his moments I will admit. I have to also admit that I was not sure what I was going to do if DS was a girl---from the point of always having dealt with and been around boys from my age to 19 years younger than me in the family). I would not change DS as my first born or his personality. I am seeing now how he is shaping into the person he will become as he gets older and it is just so amazing.

Don't get me wrong--I love DD and we have the type of relationship that I always had with my mother (it was/is good), but DS and I are very connected and I would never want to change that.

ha98ed14
12-04-2009, 12:05 PM
DH for that matter is way more emotional, sensitive, and generous than his sister or me for that matter.

Mine too! DH is a better, more patient and nurturing person that I am on any day of the week. From MIL, I know he was that way in childhood too.

ilfaith
12-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Sure boys are sweet and love their mommies and all...but, as mom to three boys, I have found there is one distinct advantage sons, be they quiet and snuggly or rough and tumble, do have over daughters...

Boys are great because they can pee anywhere. In a filthy restroom you don't have to worry about covering the seat...and if there is no restroom, they're more than happy to "water" the nearest tree. Heck, even my 40ish DH felt the need to "mark his territory" when we visited the Grand Canyon and the Volcano on the Big Island of Hawaii. And I remember my young brother peeing on one of the trees lining the Reflecting Pool at the Lincoln Memorial on a childhood trip to DC.

lizzywednesday
12-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Sure boys are sweet and love their mommies and all...but, as mom to three boys, I have found there is one distinct advantage sons, be they quiet and snuggly or rough and tumble, do have over daughters...

Boys are great because they can pee anywhere. In a filthy restroom you don't have to worry about covering the seat...and if there is no restroom, they're more than happy to "water" the nearest tree. Heck, even my 40ish DH felt the need to "mark his territory" when we visited the Grand Canyon and the Volcano on the Big Island of Hawaii. And I remember my young brother peeing on one of the trees lining the Reflecting Pool at the Lincoln Memorial on a childhood trip to DC.

LOL ... I have so many "pee anywhere" stories from my brothers, I'm sure I could write a small pamphlet about it.

Tondi G
12-04-2009, 12:53 PM

LOL I was gonna add that we didn't have to worry about icky park/gas station bathrooms cause they just stand and go and we run outta there as quickly as possible. I'll admit we've had our share of Mommy I gotta go moments and they have gone in bushes/on trees .... when you gotta go you gotta go and with boys those moments are WAY easier! LOL

bluestar2
12-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Boys are great because they can pee anywhere. In a filthy restroom you don't have to worry about covering the seat...and if there is no restroom, they're more than happy to "water" the nearest tree.

lol :yeahthat:

arivecchi
12-04-2009, 01:20 PM
I have two boys and have no itch whatsoever for a girl. Things I like about having boys:

1) both of my boys are mama's boys :)
2) my toddler falls all the time, gets up and says I'm tough - no meltdowns due to a scratch
3) girls have cool clothes but boys have cooler toys!
4) you don't go crazy shopping for clothes
5) you don't need to deal with tangled hair
6) boys are adventurous
7) boys are sweet
8) boy bday party themes are very cool (we recently did pirate and dinosaurs)
9) they don't want to "borrow" my make-up or clothes
10) they can watch football with DH and I am freed up to do other things ;)

elektra
12-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Boys are great because they can pee anywhere. In a filthy restroom you don't have to worry about covering the seat...and if there is no restroom, they're more than happy to "water" the nearest tree. .

Rad! I had not thought of this!

MontrealMum
12-04-2009, 01:34 PM
-You get to raise a boy into the kind of man you wish all men could be

I love that you mentioned this, and wish that I had put it down as well.

brittone2
12-04-2009, 02:18 PM
I think there are some natural differences between different genders, but not all boys are rough and not all girls are calm and feminine. My DS is actually very calm as almost 6 year old boys go. I mean, he gets wild at times, but compared to most boys his age, he's very calm. He's very much a "mother hen" to my DD...always watching out for her, etc.

My DD on the other hand has always been more rough and tumble and physical, LOL. They didn't get the memos on gender stereotypes. She can be very girly (loves dressup, etc.) but has always been a bit more wild in terms of wanting to jump, climb, flip, cartwheel (!), stand on her head, etc.

My DS is very affectionate and snuggly. That's his love language :)

I love the pee anywhere comments because it is sooooo true. DS learned to potty train during a summer when he figured out how to pee in the woods outside LOL. Not my ideal, but it worked ;)

almostmom
12-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Oh man--

First of all, I love both of my children dearly.

But can I just say that my son IS SO MUCH EASIER!!! Sure, when he was a toddler and I saw other toddler girls sitting still playing with dolls I thought that seemed easier. But now as I've parented both, I see that DS can be rational, he can be happy just playing ball, with himself! He loves to cuddle and play and can understand and deal with disappointment. His relationship with other kids is so much more simple that DDs. She is so dramatic, has such tantrums, worries about all the kids in her class, who plays with her, who doesn't. I still pick out clothes for DS most days. Before DD was 2 she was rejecting my choices (luckily she's out of that phase!).
DS loves doing art and sports and pretend playing with animals. He totally takes care of his sister and includes her in everything. He doesn't worry that he's not good enough, instead he asks things like, "Mom, why am I so fast?" On the other hand DD is her harshest critic, and I feel terrible about it!

Again, I love them both. But boys can be a breath of fresh air once you get over the energy when they are little. It calms down and they are super fun. They also (in my case) love watching sports with DH, which is a really nice connection for them.

Puddy73
12-04-2009, 03:03 PM
There are so many ways that boys are great, but here was today's reminder for me:

Spiderman, Master Yoda and a pirate figurine are now worshiping baby Jesus in our Nativity scene.

Enjoy your little guy!:)

DrSally
12-04-2009, 03:08 PM
There are so many ways that boys are great, but here was today's reminder for me:

Spiderman, Master Yoda and a pirate figurine are now worshiping baby Jesus in our Nativity scene.

:ROTFLMAO: very cute!

ThreeofUs
12-04-2009, 03:59 PM
I have 2 boys - they're adorable, wonderful, and more fun than a barrel full of monkeys. :)

Don't worry! Kids are kids - boys aren't necessarily more or less effort than girls - and your new LO will fit in with your family.

m448
12-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Boys are a hoot and I'm a big believer that God sends you what your heart needs at that point in your life. My two boys are 6 and 4 and to say they're energy filled is an understatement. It's only now that things are settling down and I'm curious to see if having a younger sister will temper them a bit.

hellokitty
12-04-2009, 05:29 PM

That is really cute!

clc053103
12-04-2009, 06:32 PM

I now can't wait to put my nativity scene up- DS always puts crazy things in it- and it's the fisher price one so Baby Jesus is often perched on the rooftop where the angel is supposed to go!

thanks for the laugh!

AlbrightRC
12-04-2009, 09:19 PM
I have two boys and have no itch whatsoever for a girl. Things I like about having boys:

1) both of my boys are mama's boys :)
2) my toddler falls all the time, gets up and says I'm tough - no meltdowns due to a scratch
3) girls have cool clothes but boys have cooler toys!
4) you don't go crazy shopping for clothes
5) you don't need to deal with tangled hair
6) boys are adventurous
7) boys are sweet
8) boy bday party themes are very cool (we recently did pirate and dinosaurs)
9) they don't want to "borrow" my make-up or clothes
10) they can watch football with DH and I am freed up to do other things ;)

I can agree with some of these but 4) i go totally crazy buying my boy clothes.
5) he is ethiopian and yes he gets crazy tangles in the hair and i refuse to just shave his head.

lizzywednesday
12-04-2009, 09:22 PM
I can agree with some of these but 4) i go totally crazy buying my boy clothes.
5) he is ethiopian and yes he gets crazy tangles in the hair and i refuse to just shave his head.

Will he sit still long enough to have dreadlocks put in? Baby-dreads are so cute!

tnrnchick74
12-04-2009, 10:26 PM
I'll be honest. I wanted a girl. I still want a girl, but wouldn't change the baby boy I have.

He just learned to "kiss". He grabs my face, says "MAMA" and plants a BIG wet one (with tongue :insert rolling eyes:) RIGHT on my mouth. He's not embarrassed but WILL. NOT. do it to ANYONE else, not even grandma.

THAT'S THE BEST.

From what I hear, boys will give you a heart attack early on, but be easier as teens. All I know is that there are days I can barely keep up with my "balls to the walls" hyper boy...but at the end of the day I can count on my big wet kiss...and I wouldn't change a THING!

jillc
12-04-2009, 11:24 PM
One more thing to add:

Seeing my tiny two-year-old DS wearing his little firetruck and dumptruck underpants is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen! Of course, I may be biased... :)

Gena
12-05-2009, 09:52 AM
I love having a boy. He's sweet and snuggly, so much fun, and a complete handful at times! Here are some of the wonderful things I love about having a boy:

1. I get to learn all about trucks and trains.
2. He has the coolest toys.
3. The way he wants to be just like his Daddy.
4. He's incredibly brave and tries to protect me from things he considers dangerous.
5. Girls' clothes are really cute until they are out of toddler sizes. After that a lot of the clothes are too grown-up for little girls (IMO). Boy's clothes may be boring, but at least they are not scary.
6. I've learned more about the male anatomy and its quirkiness from having a son than I ever learned in health class, gossiping with my girlfriends, or having a husband.

catsnkid
12-05-2009, 12:01 PM
We secretly sort of wanted a girl but got a boy. He is awesome. I love the boys clothes and the colors. I'm not a big pink fan. The only thing I don't like is that you can't get clothes with kitties on them, so we settle for lions and tigers. He is a tough little dude- he barely cried yesterday at his h1n1 shot, easily soothed, sweet, happy and loves kisses. Plus I won't have all those little barbie clothes strewn everywhere, but who knows what DC2 will be..

lizzywednesday
12-05-2009, 12:21 PM
5. Girls' clothes are really cute until they are out of toddler sizes. After that a lot of the clothes are too grown-up for little girls (IMO). Boy's clothes may be boring, but at least they are not scary...

OMG, I totally agree! My "niece" (a.k.a. my BFF's daughter) is 10 and I usually send her clothes for her birthday & Christmas. Since the poor kid had no chance at being petite (my BFF is 5'11" and her XH is 6') and I like to size up when buying clothes for the kid so she can wear them longer, I started to hit that when she was 7!

gatorsmom
12-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Frankly, I dont see much difference between my boys and my girl. Honestly. Sisi is even more daring and crazy that Greenbean or Gator. She even gives Cha cha a run for the moeny in that department.

Boys are awesome. Of all my children, Greenbean and Cha Cha are the most snuggly, loving, doting and caring. Sisi is too busy to be held. Occasionally she'll come and out of the blue plant a kiss on your lips just cuz. :) But the 2 boys like to be held for long periods and just cuddled.

Each child is an adventure. I honestly don't think they are all that different, having had a girl now. What I mean is, I haven't noticed a difference due to gender. Obviously, as they get older, we'll see some differences evolve and I'm a little nervous about that. but I would say that you shouldn't be any more nervous about having a boy than you would be about having any new baby. hth.

maydaymommy
12-05-2009, 03:33 PM
I just wanted to add that my son enjoys so many of the things I was afraid I'd miss out on by not having a girl! He is verbal and loves nursery rhymes and performing them for people. He pretends that he is carrying a bunny named Topsy with him nearly everywhere. He loves a good tea party and wants a play kitchen for Hanukkah. Plus, he likes to put on "party shoes" and even likes to wear a tie. Let me tell you, this kid is DRESSED. It is far more fun to get his clothes than I ever anticipated it would be.

On top of that, he also wants a "wooden fire station when [he] gets all the pee and all the poop in the potty all the time." I thought I would have this totally gender neutral household, but somehow, we are over run with trains and trucks and cars and cranes and TOOLS. DS knows the names and functions of more tools than DH knew until like, no joke, two months ago.

I think it is totally legitimate to mourn the loss of the image you had of what your family would be like. I loved being a teacher and counselor of boys, but I always imagined us with a family of girls. I had to take a day off from work to get used to the idea that my first would be a boy. I thought that I would handle finding out that number 2 was a boy much more easily, since I already had this wonderful, loving, super sweet, charming boy. No such luck. I was sad just the same. But I am sure I will grow to love ds2 for all of his unique boy-ness too, and to appreciate the life of brothers.

There is lots to look forward to!