PDA

View Full Version : Compression stockings anyone?

citymama
12-04-2009, 12:38 AM
I remember my midwife recommended these late in my last pregnancy and I thought the idea sounded too bizarre to try. This time I'm just at 16 weeks and have the most painful legs and thighs and ugly varicose veins (which I had last time, but later in the pregnancy). I desperately need something to provide relief and reduce the discomfort.

But....I hate stockings. At the best of times, I will.not.wear pantyhose. Can anyone recommend compression stockings or other support that is comfortable, breathable, and reasonably attractive? Would be great to get some names of brands, what kind (full-length, thigh-high etc) and where you got them. Any other suggestion for reducing the formation of vvs and providing relief to achy pregnancy legs would be appreciated!

Thanks so much.

elektra
12-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Not sure if you will find anything "reasonably attractive".
My DH had a blood clot in his leg a few years ago and we just got compression socks at our local drug store (CVS). I don't remember the brand. They also sell them in medical supply stores.
His just looked like really long dress socks. But they had the thigh high ones too.

lizzywednesday
12-04-2009, 08:55 AM
I've seen diabetic compression socks at Target, too.

But, if you've been told before that compression stockings are the way to go, please don't argue. They'll help a lot. My mother swears by them; I think she gets hers from One Hanes Place, but she wouldn't tell me when I asked. (I'm getting swollen ankles myself.)

They're horrifyingly unattractive (sorry) but since they work, IDK what else to suggest. Maybe runners' "tights" ? (They are not actually tights, but rather more like supportive leggings.)

WatchingThemGrow
12-04-2009, 09:23 AM
OMGOSH, these SAVED me last pregnancy!!! I'm on my way out the door right now, so I'll add links later. Search on compression for my post about them last winter. Good info. The ones I just linked my cousin (due around when you are with her #2) are the Jobst thigh high with silicone dot band. I used the roll-on glue they sell at the medical supply place the hose came from. They were prescription hose and I had to work to get them on in the mornings. Seriously, though, they gave me energy because the blood kept running through my body, not pooling at my ankles. Mine were light compression I believe.

lizzywednesday
12-04-2009, 09:45 AM
p.s. - I wanted to comment that my sister is the same way about not wearing hose, although they tend to give her rashes, so I think she's allergic to synthetics. (No joke. I had to explain this to my mother about 10 times before she stopped pressuring her about the stockings. Phrasing it as an allergy seemed to work.)

I wish she'd been able to wear them, though, because her legs & feet swelled up something awful and she had a lot of pain while she was expecting her son!

mousemom
12-04-2009, 10:29 AM
No personal experience with this, but I did notice that Nordstrom's carries two types of compression socks. I'd expect theirs to be nice quality, although probably more expensive.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3033329?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=compression&origin=searchresults

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2901194?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=compression&origin=searchresults

Also, Footsmart seems to be a popular source for these. And they have customer reviews of their products so you can get some feedback from users:

http://www.footsmart.com/SearchReturns.aspx?Action=3&Page=0&SH=QT1saWdodCBjb21wcmVzc2lvbn5CPWxpZ2h0IGNvbXByZXN zaW9ufkM9MX5EPTE2fkk9cHJpY2V_Sz00fkw9MX5NPTJ_Tj0yf g&SI=f5ea6692-7dc8-448e-94cd-e2c229b9926e

ThreeofUs
12-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Berkshire. Reasonably attractive, fairly comfortable.

I'm an ex-dancer, with all the dancer's problem in legs. I don't wear pantyhose unless I have to, but Berkshire work.

Another option is leggings - workout leggings, that is, with some spandex to them.

Two pieces of advice from a btdt mom:
-don't get high-compression (at least at first), give yourself a chance to get used to the feeling of pressure on your legs.
-don't get compression thigh-highs, they'll cause thigh muffin-top that not only looks bad but can be dangerous (by causing clots under the thigh band)

lizzywednesday
12-04-2009, 11:05 AM
@Ivy - Do Berkshires come in maternity sizes? I know they have talls, but I've needed maternity panels (do not like rolling down under the belly b/c I am carrying relatively small and it looks pretty low) to be comfortable.

I'm looking for more tights options b/c DH decided that he likes the way my legs look in tights.

DebbieJ
12-04-2009, 12:04 PM
I wore them during my first pregnancy. My midwife wrote me an rx for them and I got them at a medical supply store. My insurance covered a portion of the cost as a "durable medical supply." They are $$$$ so I'd go that route if you can.

Jobst is a very popular and readily available brand.

citymama
12-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks so much! Debbie, I will try and get a prescription so I can get insurance to cover some of it. Good suggestion. Ivy, I'll definitely look for Berkshire. WtG, send me the links when you can - good to know I'm not the only one with this painful problem! I'm at an airport right now and standing half an hour in the security line just about did me in - I feel like an old lady with my gimpy legs!

ThreeofUs
12-04-2009, 03:55 PM
@Ivy - Do Berkshires come in maternity sizes? I know they have talls, but I've needed maternity panels (do not like rolling down under the belly b/c I am carrying relatively small and it looks pretty low) to be comfortable.

Yep. Definitely come in maternity. Google berkshire maternity and you'll get a ton of hits. They also have tights, btw!

WatchingThemGrow
12-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Just got back from the kids museum.... :) Here's the link http://www.amazon.com/Jobst-Relief-Thigh-15-20mmHg-Closed/dp/B0012XYFNM/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1259956379&sr=8-21
and a body adhesive http://www.amazon.com/Jobst-Stays-Roll-Body-Adhesive/dp/B000ROAY7I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1259956548&sr=8-2-catcorr in a roll-on form is what helped keep them up. I used them high enough there wasn't really a muffin-top effect. I wore them under jeans, pants, dresses, with SHORTS a few times in FL because they made my legs feel so much better. Once I got past the "I feel old" stigma, I embraced them and loved them. They are a pain to get on. First thing in the morning - like take a bath, not a shower, keep your legs up, then get back in bed and work at getting them up, all while your belly's in the way...kinda challenging!

ThreeofUs
12-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Just wanted to add: Berkshires are a little pricey, but I've never had a pair fail on me, so totally worth it. I think I paid $18 or so per pair - but didn't shop around at all. Looks like Amazon has them for much less:

http://www.amazon.com/Berkshire-Maternity-Light-Support-5700/dp/B00008IPED

lizzywednesday
12-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Just wanted to add: Berkshires are a little pricey, but I've never had a pair fail on me, so totally worth it. I think I paid $18 or so per pair - but didn't shop around at all. Looks like Amazon has them for much less:

http://www.amazon.com/Berkshire-Maternity-Light-Support-5700/dp/B00008IPED

$18/pair is nothing if they're gonna be a bit more supportive than the Assets tights I'm currently wearing. (I want a couple pair of brown to balance my neutrals.)

citymama
01-19-2010, 04:31 AM
Hi guys,
I'm revisiting this thread from last month because I can no longer keep delaying buying these stockings. The legs hurt, and I have 2 long plane trips next month (one work, one vacation). I think I will try Jobst and Berkshire.
A few questions for you:

Two pieces of advice from a btdt mom:
-don't get high-compression (at least at first), give yourself a chance to get used to the feeling of pressure on your legs.
-don't get compression thigh-highs, they'll cause thigh muffin-top that not only looks bad but can be dangerous (by causing clots under the thigh band)

Thanks.

--Iif not high compression, then what kind - light compression?
--And if not thigh-highs, then what? My pain and the unsightly veins are in the thighs - right above abd behind the knees, and then again mid-thigh. Nothing in the calves/ankles.

Just got back from the kids museum.... :) Here's the link http://www.amazon.com/Jobst-Relief-Thigh-15-20mmHg-Closed/dp/B0012XYFNM/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1259956379&sr=8-21
and a body adhesive http://www.amazon.com/Jobst-Stays-Roll-Body-Adhesive/dp/B000ROAY7I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1259956548&sr=8-2-catcorr in a roll-on form is what helped keep them up. I used them high enough there wasn't really a muffin-top effect. I wore them under jeans, pants, dresses, with SHORTS a few times in FL because they made my legs feel so much better. Once I got past the "I feel old" stigma, I embraced them and loved them. They are a pain to get on. First thing in the morning - like take a bath, not a shower, keep your legs up, then get back in bed and work at getting them up, all while your belly's in the way...kinda challenging!

What do you need the adhesive for - to keep them up?

Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
01-19-2010, 07:49 AM
I put them up high enought there was no muffin top, and they didn't mess with my belly. The adhesive kept them very secure so there was no sliding. Sorry you're hurting!

ThreeofUs
01-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Sounds like it's time. Sorry you really need them, but hope you feel better.

Light compression works, so does whatever the company you buy from calls "moderate" or "medium".

I'd get the full leg with belly in the Berkshires, but that's just because I found them to be really comfy. Soft, clingy without feeling like I was wearing tights. And the nice thing is, they're warm under clothes! I had two winter pg's and I liked being warm. A lot!

Anyway, why not try a pair of each and see what suits you best?

GL!

citymama
01-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Thanks Ivy and WtG!