PDA

View Full Version : S/O Developmental delay ?s: How do you help your DC to get on track?

ourbabygirl
12-04-2009, 11:41 AM
I called for an EI appt., but our town doesn't do it until the kid is at least 3 (DD is 14 months): I guess they don't get enough funding for more. So I'm going to see if I can at least get a visit from a family health nurse to see if DD is way off track and what I can do to get her more up to speed.
She was a late crawler (started a week before 11 months, I think) and is cruising a lot but hasn't taken any steps on her own yet, without us holding her hands. She's also not saying anything other than mama and dada, and even though I encourage her to say more words, I don't know when they'll come.
With this being our first child, I don't know what to expect or when to expect it, and I'm wondering what things I can do with her (I'm a SAHM) to promote her development. Obviously I talk & sing with her throughout the day, play with her, read to her, take her on outings (errands, story time at the library, ECFE and MT classes, to the mall and zoo, etc.), and have play dates when I can get people to come over. I really feel like she'd be further along if she were in daycare and had the daily interaction with kids as positive peer pressure. Also, since early childhood is not my area of expertise and I'm the youngest in my family who almost never baby-sat and don't know much about child development (other than what I read here and in books), I feel like I'm not helping her like I should.

Any suggestions from those of you who have BTDT, work in this field, or have advice in general? Are there certain things I can do to encourage her to walk on her own and say some words? I'll ask her ped at our next visit in January, but I'd like to take more control in the meantime to help her achieve her potential. :)

Thanks for your help!

crl
12-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Are you in the United States? If so, early intervention is from birth to age 3. The public school system kicks in at age 3 by federal law--IDEA. I am almost positive that early intervention is available in every state--again it's a federal program. Perhaps you were talking to the school district people instead of the early intervention people?

Catherine

MamaKath
12-04-2009, 12:46 PM
ITA with Catherine about calling around. You may also be able to get an eval through your medical insurance. As for ideas to go with to help stimulate her check out the Zero to Three (http://www.zerotothree.org/site/PageServer?pagename=par_parents)site. She may just be on her own time table, she sounds like she is making progress, just at her own pace. A great book to look into is "Is it a Big Problem or a Little Problem (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/175-6596362-9587159?asin=B002LQ1KUU&afid=yahoosspplp_bmvd&CPNG=bookmarked&lnm=B002LQ1KUU%7CProblem-Little-When-Worry-Paperback_:_Books&ref=tgt_adv_XSNG1060)" which breaks down concerns parents have.

GL~

Ceepa
12-04-2009, 01:01 PM
I agree with others to check around for a Birth To Three agency for a free evaluation. But it sounds to me like your DD is still within normal expectations for her age. My kids didn't walk until after first birthdays. They didn't speak until later. But once it happens it really just takes off.

And as far as socialization, a story time at the library or some time being out and about with you and seeing others is really just fine. You don't have to enroll her in a daycare to accelerate her progress.

:hug: It's OK. She sounds like she's doing well. Keep talking to her and give her opportunities to cruise around and she'll put it all together when she's developmentally ready. Does she have a walker that she likes? Like a FP walker wagon?

brittone2
12-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Another vote for calling around. Early intervention for 0-3 yo is sometimes funded by the area's dept of mental health/mental retardation (don't let that freak you out, it is just how it is funded many times). What area are you in? We might be able to help you find the appropriate phone numbers. There should undoubtedly be services available through EI for 0-3yo.

Not walking at 14 months in the absence of other concerns is not a problem. If a child is doing the precursor skills (pulling to stand, cruising, weight bearing well on both legs, etc.) it is even less of a concern. I worked in early intervention as a PT pre-kids and my DS walked at a very average 13.5 months. The range that typically developing kids walk is huge...anywhere from 9-18 months. Sometimes services are recommended if we don't see the right precursor skills prior to that age, etc. but based on what you have described, there aren't any major red flags. As always, feel free to discuss w/ your child's physician.

2 words at 14 months isn't really out of the normal range either as long as you are hearing a nice variety of sounds overall (even if they aren't "words" per say, are you hearing a lot of babbling of consonants and vowels?)

The best thing for development is to do what you are doing. Plenty of floor time, free play, singing to her, talking to her a lot.

As long as you aren't seeing any other concerning signs she sounds on target to me, but obviously no one can evaluate your child over the internet (obvious disclaimer ;) ).

eta: agreeing w/ Ceepa that a good push toy is great at this age. I like the heavier wooden ones like the RF walker wagon or the Haba because they are more stable. You can also just flip a laundry basket over and help her "walk" with that (she may need a spotter" on carpet, etc.

Ceepa
12-04-2009, 01:52 PM
eta: agreeing w/ Ceepa that a good push toy is great at this age. I like the heavier wooden ones like the RF walker wagon or the Haba because they are more stable. You can also just flip a laundry basket over and help her "walk" with that (she may need a spotter" on carpet, etc.

Yes. The Radio Flyer walker wagon. I accidentally typed FP. I guess I have Fisher Price on the brain. And yes, we also liked overturned laundry baskets and even a full mega box of Pampers (from Costco) was nice to push across on the carpet. ;)

brittone2
12-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Yes. The Radio Flyer walker wagon. I accidentally typed FP. I guess I have Fisher Price on the brain. And yes, we also liked overturned laundry baskets and even a full mega box of Pampers (from Costco) was nice to push across on the carpet. ;)

I didn't even notice that you typed FP. All of these crazy abbreviations we all use LOL.

ThreeofUs
12-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Yep. Call around, search online and (if you can't find anything) PM one of us with your location.

ourbabygirl
12-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks so much, Everyone!
I called around and played phone tag a bit this morning, and finally talked to someone who's relaying my info. on to someone else and should give me a call next week to schedule something. She agreed that it's better to have DD evaluated just to be safe (it's free), than to wait and see and wish we would have done something sooner.
I took DD to the library a couple hours ago and we found a little 'shopping cart' that they have for kids to wheel around, and she pushed it around really well on her own, so that was exciting :boogie:!

Have a great weekend!