PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerator Dying...What groceries can I salvage?

srhs
12-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Oye, our fridge is dying. It's been around 55 degrees. :barf:
I hate to throw out all these groceries...what do you think I can save???
eggs?
butter?
PB and sunbutter?
jelly?
condiments? (They're at room temp all day in restaurants, right?)
dressings?
nothing?

I know all the milk and meat have to go. And cheese? And coffee creamers? Sigh, I JUST stocked up on those because it's so hard to go to the store with 2 LOs.

truly scrumptious
12-04-2009, 02:31 PM
I would save everything on your list EXCEPT eggs, and possibly the dressings, depending on whether they have been opened or not.

smiles33
12-04-2009, 02:37 PM
I would save all but eggs, dairy and meat, as you just discovered the problem now but it could have been at that warmer temperature yesterday. Even then, I'd probably be the one to eat the other items and not let my husband or kids try them just to be really safe. My husband calls me "Iron Gut" as I can eat leftovers for days and not get sick (he can't eat any leftovers after 2 days).

MoJo
12-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Mustard is always safe.

My mom kept butter (real butter, not margarine) at room temp for years, and we never got sick.

Anything unopened that is purchased unrefrigerated, such as dressings, should be OK.

Beyond that, *I* would rather throw it out than risk anyone getting sick.

Hope you get a new fridge soon, and time without the LOs to restock!

nc_hope
12-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Butter, mustard, ketchup, steak sauces, and peanut butter should all be fine. Natural peanut butter may separate but you can just remix. Not sure about the rest....

nrp
12-04-2009, 03:13 PM
If it were me, I'd probably keep everything but the milk and meat, and probably coffee creamers and opened dairy based dressings. I think the cheese would probably be fine, especially hard cheeses. But I'm pretty liberal with that sort of thing, so don't quote me!

srhs
12-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks all! What about the bottle of liquid probiotics I just got for DS2 (that just went up to $38/mo!)? I really need that to be effective for him!

Also,
lime & lemon juice?
salsa?