PDA

View Full Version : When did you start giving your kids Omega 3?

slworld
12-04-2009, 02:42 PM
DS is 17months old and I would like to start him on Fish Oil for Omege 3 (not cod liver oil). I am looking for the liquid form. When did you start giving your kids fish oil. Did you check with your ped before doing so? (most brands I am looking at say to check with ped for under 2years). I understand the risk of mercury, but apart from that is there anything else to be concerned about with this supplement?

Thanks much

brittone2
12-04-2009, 02:47 PM
DS is 17months old and I would like to start him on Fish Oil for Omege 3 (not cod liver oil). I am looking for the liquid form. When did you start giving your kids fish oil. Did you check with your ped before doing so? (most brands I am looking at say to check with ped for under 2years). I understand the risk of mercury, but apart from that is there anything else to be concerned about with this supplement?

Thanks much

It is also a blood thinner. You wouldn't want to use it for anyone where that would be contraindicated.

hillview
12-06-2009, 12:46 PM
I don't give my kids any supplements. I'd check with pedi before giving DC anything.
/hillary

wimama
12-06-2009, 01:14 PM
I have started giving my DS a multivitamin and one kids Omega three supplement per day. Two chews is the recommended dose for the Omega 3 chews we use. I just started with supplements now that he is 3 years old. I don't always remember to give them to him.

Gena
12-06-2009, 01:18 PM
I started giving DS fish oil when he was about 3.5 years old to help with some of his autism symptoms. Before I started giving it to DS, I discussed it with both our regular doctor and the developmental ped. They gave me some dosage guidelines and suggested some brands.