PDA

View Full Version : Valco Tri-mode Twin as car stroller?

maydaymommy
12-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Perhaps this has been discussed before, I may have even asked about it. I know there are a few fans of this stroller on here. I really need to make a move and get a double already!

Is the Valco Tri-mode twin too big/bulky/heavy to lug in and out of my car? I'm pretty sure I'll have enough space for it, I'm mostly concerned about the ability to shlep it in & out.

It's one of the two doubles that I believe will be able to accomodate my Orbit infant seat (unofficially, of course.)

I may have the opportunity to buy a used one with accessories and even a jump seat for around $400. Sound like a good deal? I've never bough a used stroller before.

arivecchi
12-04-2009, 04:46 PM
I have the single Valco Trimode and I never take it in my car - ever. Did it twice and the stroller is huge when folded and took up my entire trunk. Having said that, Valcos rock. Maybe you can see the CL one and try folding it and putting it in your car? What is the other double that is an option? A Valco Trimode double with toddler seat for $400 sounds like a great deal to me if the stroller is in good condition.

maydaymommy
12-04-2009, 04:59 PM
The other option is the Bumbleride Indie Twin. I like that the Valco could take a 3rd kid if we needed it to. Then again, it's totally not me to plan on or buy for anyone not-yet-born. For instance, I'm certain that if I'd bought a P&T's to use with my 1st, we never would have had a 2nd.

Really, that's the only reason I was going to go for the Valco over Bumbleride, but like I said, I don't know if that's a good reason.

I'm also sure it won't be my only double : )
just my first!

jacksmoma
12-04-2009, 05:05 PM
if you plan on keeping stroller at home and only loading into your car a few times a week you'll be fine- would not use it for errands etc tho. keep a single in the car for that with a good easy fold and not too heavy :)

arivecchi
12-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Well, if that is the other option, I'd definitely go Valco. It will last longer due to taller seatbacks, better quality stroller and the Bumbleride is not going to be lighter or smaller. You are also getting such a good deal that you may be able to resell for the same amount or more. A friend just bought a used Twin Trimode with toddler seat and toddler board for $500.

maydaymommy
12-04-2009, 05:19 PM
It would be my double for the car, at least for a while. My plan was to keep my Orbit (it's just a small, light frame) in the car while the baby is still in the bucket, and also keep the Valco twin in there. I seem to be out with just ds2 more than I though I would be.

I'm pretty much sold! I think I'll call now about going to visit this stroller!

arivecchi
12-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Let me know what happens!

arivecchi
12-04-2009, 05:22 PM
By the way, congrats on the new arrival! :)

strollerqueen
12-04-2009, 06:11 PM
How about trying out the new Valco Ion? It's pretty nice.

maydaymommy
12-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Ion does look really great, I agree.

However, I don't know if the seat is strong enough or wide enough to accomodate my rigging it to fit the Orbit bucket.

SQ, any idea about how the size of the seats compare in terms of width and depth?

arivecchi
12-06-2009, 11:36 AM
I have not seen the ION IRL, but the seats do look shorter than the ones on the Twin Trimode. SQ, have you compared the two strollers side by side?

Krisrich
12-06-2009, 11:53 AM
I tried out the Ion IRL. It's really easy to maneuver but the seats are small. My 11 month old at the time just fit in it. Of course, she's big- 95%. But, the lifespan of this stroller is short with big kids.
I know I am in a big minority, but I went with the Bumbleride indie twin. For what it's worth, the fold on the 2009 model is much easier than the old 2008 models. (Not as easy as baby jogger, I know.) I also compared the valco trimode double and the indie twin in a store and found the footprint of the open indie smaller than the trimode, and the folded indie was easier for me to lift than the folded trimode. I was tempted to go for the trimode in case we have DC #3 but figured the thing would be impossible to take in the car with 2toddlers if I were pregnant again anyway. Just my opinions!

strollerqueen
12-06-2009, 03:05 PM
I have not seen the ION IRL, but the seats do look shorter than the ones on the Twin Trimode. SQ, have you compared the two strollers side by side?

I'm sorry, I haven't. There is a head curb at the top of the seat, that you can fold back. That gives you a lot more room. It may be an Aussie safety standard--i.e. when you recline the seat, you have to have the head barrier there so the baby doesn't slide out the back. It happened in an Emmaljunga there about 10-15 years ago, and the baby died. I know there was a big public outcry about it, and I think even some legal proceedings.

arivecchi
12-06-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm sorry, I haven't. There is a head curb at the top of the seat, that you can fold back. That gives you a lot more room. It may be an Aussie safety standard--i.e. when you recline the seat, you have to have the head barrier there so the baby doesn't slide out the back. It happened in an Emmaljunga there about 10-15 years ago, and the baby died. I know there was a big public outcry about it, and I think even some legal proceedings. Wow. How sad. Yes, now that you mention that my Valco has that and I always wondered why.

AnnieW625
12-07-2009, 12:29 PM
What about a Valco Twin Lattitude? I was seriously thinking about a single, but never saw one in person and then got my great deal on my Vista. IIRC the Lattitude has reversable handles like the Indie Twin.

boltfam
12-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Does the Latitude have more head room than the Ion? The closest place I could see a Valco stroller IRL is 2 and 1/2 hours away! So...probably won't be seeing one IRL.