PDA

View Full Version : Options when done having children?

ray7694
12-05-2009, 12:42 AM
My hubby refuses to have any procedure done and I absolutely freak at the thought of having more children. I had two very rough pregnancies.

I have heard of new procedures like coil or something.

Anyone have experience?

TIA!

MMEand1
12-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Are you talking about the essure (sp)? I looked into it briefly, but and it sounded promising, but after having a pg patient come in and tell me that that was her BC of choice and now she was pg, I kind of changed my mind about it...

nfowife
12-05-2009, 10:42 AM
How about an IUD? It's reversible (in case you might change your mind.... you never know!) but extremely effective and semi-permanent. Nothing to remember. I have the Mirena (has small amt. of hormones, good for 5 years) and there is also the Paraguard (no hormones, good for 10 years).

ha98ed14
12-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Are you talking about the essure (sp)? I looked into it briefly, but and it sounded promising, but after having a pg patient come in and tell me that that was her BC of choice and now she was pg, I kind of changed my mind about it...

OP, I freak at the thought of being pregnant again too for similar reasons. I also looked into essure. It basically works like a tubal ligation. They put these little metal coils up into your fallopian tubes (via your cervix, uterus). Then you wait 6 weeks for scar tissue to form, blocking your tubes so eggs can no longer make it into the uterus. They put a dye or something into your uterus, like the way you have to drink something for an MRI, and then they do an xray to see if that dye make it into your fallopian tubes. If not, then they are blocked. If it does, you have to wait some more time and then come back and they do it again.

At lease that is what I found in my "research." For the woman who got preggers, I would think that she did the deed before she had her dye test and her tubes weren't really closed up. Could her been impatience on her part or incompetence on the OB's

WatchingThemGrow
12-05-2009, 11:35 AM
My hubby refuses to have any procedure done and I absolutely freak at the thought of having more children. I had two very rough pregnancies.

I have heard of new procedures like coil or something.

Anyone have experience?

TIA!
:popc1: Same boat here! Scared of DH for that reason!
A friend had a lost IUD they thought perforated the uterine wall, so I'm personally a little leery of that one.

SnuggleBuggles
12-05-2009, 11:42 AM
My sister has had Essure for several years and couldn't be happier.

I went the IUD route because I was hoping dh would go the V route too and we'd be covered. Still young enough here that I might some day change my mind so I wasn't interested in permanent.

I am sure if we all got together and shared negative or unsuccessful bc stories there would be no good ones. You have to look at the stats, consider the anecdotes if you want, talk to more than one Dr. or midwife and then go with your gut.

Beth

elephantmeg
12-05-2009, 01:40 PM
I went the IUD route just to give myself a fairly sure option and some time to make sure I didn't change my mind. I'm 1.5 years into it and while I was 100% sure after having DD that I was done I'm only about 95% sure now. I like having the option still and while I didn't like being pregnant at all (threw up every day with both of them for the entire time) it wasn't like the end of the world. So I figure if I were to get pregnant somehow that baby is meant to be!