PDA

View Full Version : S/O Birth Control - Paraguard

sunshine873
12-05-2009, 02:10 PM
I very possibly might want another baby, but right now can't fathom the thought. DDs entry (bed rest and prematurity) was dramatic and I'm so happy with just her, I'm absolutely horrified at the thought of getting pregnant again. Because of that, every time DH gets that look in his eye, I get terrified. I hate feeling that way, because I love the guy and I know it's an important part of a relationship. But I've had terrible problems with hormones in the past and am super-leary of going that route.

Does anyone here have Paraguard (someone mentioned that was a reversible IUD without hormones?) Looking for experiences - good/bad.

amandabea
12-05-2009, 02:20 PM
I have one and it's great. Initially I did experience increased cramping and much heavier periods, but that tapered off within 6 months and now I am very regular with little to no discomfort (I've never really had menstrual cramps). I understand that if you typically have bad cramping and heavy periods that an IUD may not be the best option. No regrets here. I like that it is not permanent. I would definitely get it again. Mine was not covered by insurance. I think it was about $450.

michellerw
12-05-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm looking at this for after the baby too. I have had bad luck with hormones (I loved the shot until I was told I'd been on it too long... I loved the ring until I started bleeding all the time on it, and the pill isn't an option for me due to another medication) and I think I'm past that point in my life. We'll probably want another baby but I think we'll need a good two years, so Paraguard is looking pretty good right now.

smiles33
12-05-2009, 04:44 PM
I got my Paraguard 6 weeks PP after DD2 and am still EBFing so my period hasn't started back yet. I had some cramping the first day or two but nothing since. Insurance covered most of it but there was a $50 co-pay.

SnuggleBuggles
12-05-2009, 04:55 PM
I am on my 2nd one. I had one after ds1, got it out when I wanted to TTC #2. Got pg 2m after it was removed. Got a new IUD when ds2 was 8w old. I really, really like it. I am not prone to bad periods (long, heavy, cramps...) which is good b/c sometimes Paragard can make them worse. I found that my periods were heavier and longer with a bit of cramping but just for the first few months (3ish), after that things were back to my normal.

I really didn't want hormones from the Mirena plus, since I had to pay out of pocket for mine, I wanted it to last longer!

I've had good experiences with both of my copper IUDs.

Beth

american_mama
12-05-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm getting one next week. I want long-term birth control, was trying to avoid hormones since I've never used them before and didn't feel like starting now, preferred something I never had to remember, and have read good recs on this board. My midwife said in her practice, patients choose between the two types of IUDs about evenly. Mine should cost $72 with insurance, plus a little more due to co-pays for the various visits and the prophylatic antibiotic my midwife prescribes.

trales
12-05-2009, 06:18 PM
I have had mine for 2 years. I had huge issues with the hormones before. I love my Paraguard and will get another one if we decide to take this out to try to another. It is great.

ShanaMama
12-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Haven't read the other replies, just wanted to chime in that I'm on my second one & very happy with it. After DD! I was on the minipill, then regular BCP & I was quite the hormonal mess. I got the Paraguard IUD and all was well with the world! The only side effects I had from that one were super heavy periods the first day or two each month.
I had another one inserted after DD2 was born. This one has given me a bit more trouble, but I still feel that its the best bc choice for me. I get pretty heavy ovulation cramping, and my periods are heavy at the beginning and kinda drag out with staining for 6-7 days.
Another option is the Mirena IUD which does have hormones. Apparently, it can give you no period at all. I have anxiety about getting preg unexpectedly so I could never handle several months with no period!

ETA: I see you are concerned about reversability so just wanted to add that I got pregnant very soon after I had it removed. With a good practitioner, insertion & removal just feel like bad cramping or less.

Tondi G
12-05-2009, 09:42 PM
I had one. It was great for birth control but I just don't think my body was thrilled with it. The 10 day long periods every 21 days were just too annoying for me. I started having yeast infections and then had my 1st bacterial infection while the Paragard was in. A little over a year after putting it in I had it removed. My insertion was very painful. The removal was a breeze. I know 3 other women personally who LOVE their paragard and have had no issues what so ever.... it all depends on you I think!

So now we use condoms ... love the non latex SKYN condoms!