Chag78
12-06-2009, 06:04 AM
Any suggestions? Tks.

fattytuna
12-06-2009, 06:28 AM
check costco.com.

tnrnchick74
12-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Some of the Brother Project Runway models pack a LOT of features in not too $$ packages.

Also, Janome is a GREAT brand - most Kenmore machines are actually made by Janome.

Singer machines have REALLY gone down in quality in the last 10 years. I would stay away.

Here is a GREAT place to compare machines/read reviews/ask questions:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/

jerigirl
12-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Some of the Brother Project Runway models pack a LOT of features in not too $$ packages.

Also, Janome is a GREAT brand - most Kenmore machines are actually made by Janome.

Singer machines have REALLY gone down in quality in the last 10 years. I would stay away.

Here is a GREAT place to compare machines/read reviews/ask questions:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/

:yeahthat: Janome is great. I will say though- I have a Singer and have been very happy with it, but I probably wouldn't buy it again. What is your skill level? Are you looking for any particular features? I think that you generally get what you pay for on the low end machines. So I would plan to spend at least $100 but probably closer to $200 (or more) to get a machine that you will enjoy using. Sometimes people buy an inexpensive machine to start with that doesn't work particularly well and then they don't enjoy sewing with it.

sewarsh
12-06-2009, 10:44 AM
:yeahthat: Janome is great. I will say though- I have a Singer and have been very happy with it, but I probably wouldn't buy it again. What is your skill level? Are you looking for any particular features? I think that you generally get what you pay for on the low end machines. So I would plan to spend at least $100 but probably closer to $200 (or more) to get a machine that you will enjoy using. Sometimes people buy an inexpensive machine to start with that doesn't work particularly well and then they don't enjoy sewing with it.

thats a good point Jeri. thanks. i have been talking about getting a sewing machine for awhile now...you know, as soon as i can find the time to take a sewing class (yeah, right!!). anyways, i was looking at the cheaper models in case i don't like sewing, don't want to waste a lot of $$, but a cheap machine may deter me from sewing altogether.

stratosphere03
12-06-2009, 11:51 AM
I suggest checking out local sewing machine dealers/quilt shops to see if they can give you a deal on a floor model, or a trade in. You can save a ton of money on a great machine this way. They will often throw in a free class or two to show you how to use the machine as well. I have two Janome machines (sewing/embroidery and a coverstitch machine) and I love them. They are ten times better than the cheap, discount store, Singers that I started sewing with.

jerigirl
12-06-2009, 11:53 AM
I suggest checking out local sewing machine dealers/quilt shops to see if they can give you a deal on a floor model, or a trade in. You can save a ton of money on a great machine this way. They will often throw in a free class or two to show you how to use the machine as well.
Yes this is a good suggestion too.

nabigus
12-06-2009, 12:43 PM
I suggest checking out local sewing machine dealers/quilt shops to see if they can give you a deal on a floor model, or a trade in. You can save a ton of money on a great machine this way. They will often throw in a free class or two to show you how to use the machine as well. I have two Janome machines (sewing/embroidery and a coverstitch machine) and I love them. They are ten times better than the cheap, discount store, Singers that I started sewing with.

This is a great idea. A (good!) repair place will usually have a stock of used machines on hand that you can try out. You'll get a lot more for your money if you go with a used machine that's been taken care of.

Also, if you're not afraid of getting your hands dirty and spending some time on Craigslist, I would highly recommend trying to find an older (pre 1970s) machine. You have to know what you're buying, but, for instance, I got a Singer 401a, including a cabinet, for $25 off Craiglist. I put about $25 into it, gave it a good oiling, and now it's my everyday machine. No way could I afford a new machine with all the bells and whistles this fantastic machine has. And nothing sews like an all-metal machine, IMO. There are tons of Yahoo groups for the different brand vintage machines, a great source of info.

basilicali
12-06-2009, 03:20 PM
I have this 3/4 size machine in the Hello Kitty version that I bought from Target. There is the same machine without the Hello Kitty logo at Overstock brand new, I think it is well worth more than $40, it is a Janome and is pretty sturdy.

here is the hello kitty version:
http://www.target.com/Hello-Kitty-Sewing-Machine-Green/dp/B000B8WSJ2--$110

and the overstock.com $40 one:

I am suggesting this one--it is the same without the Hello Kitty on it.

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Janome-Sew-Mini-Sewing-Machine/3654717/product.html

Hope this helps

Karen

Chag78
12-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I am very new to sewing and will have to get some lessons from my mom after i purchase the machine, but looking fwd!

Chag78
12-06-2009, 04:01 PM
I have this 3/4 size machine in the Hello Kitty version that I bought from Target, I think it is well worth $40, it is a Janome and is pretty sturdy.

here is the hello kitty version:
http://www.target.com/Hello-Kitty-Sewing-Machine-Green/dp/B000B8WSJ2

I'm confused. Did you purchase the Hello Kitty one for $40, because it is now $109. Should I wait for it to go on sale? Although I doubt it will go that low. I see that it was offered refurbished for $79 on overstock but is currently sold out.

infomama
12-07-2009, 12:06 PM
I am going for this one http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Brother-LS2125-Sewing-Machine-Refurb/1553000/product.html. Got great reviews and I like the idea that it's refurbished (keep it out of the landfill). I'm new to sewing so this should be just fine for my needs. Can't wait to make some play food!

basilicali
12-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Oh sorry, I can see that my post was confusing. I bought the Hello Kitty version at Target on clearance, but the same machine--not Hello Kitty version, is $40 at overstock:

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...7/product.html

I think $40 is great for this machine, I can barely tell the difference between my full sized machine and this 3/4 sized one and I actually use it much more than my Bernina( don't tell my husband)

Karen

sewarsh
12-07-2009, 03:55 PM
can't wait to make some play food!

great idea!

Chag78
12-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Oh sorry, I can see that my post was confusing. I bought the Hello Kitty version at Target on clearance,

Thank you again for the info. Do you mind telling me what you paid for it at Target on clearance? I may wait for such a deal.

basilicali
12-07-2009, 06:24 PM
They no longer carry it at Target--sorry, that's why it was on clearance. I don't remember how much I paid because I bought it over 18 months ago. I think it was likely 50% off--so $55?

Karen

BabyMine
12-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Sorry wrong post. I am loosing my mind.