PDA

View Full Version : Help with Nebulizer

sunshine873
12-06-2009, 07:29 AM
DD is getting Pulmicort via a nebulizer twice a day for the winter/flu season. We've been doing it for months now and some days are better than others. But all of a sudden DD (10 months old) is getting somewhat mobile and doesn't want to sit still anymore (can't say I blame her.) She has also gotten much stronger and will arch and squirm and move her head any which way so it's a real struggle to keep the mask held onto her face.

Does anyone have any suggestions? She's too young to reason with, but I consider the treatments important. Anyone BTDT?

tnrnchick74
12-06-2009, 07:47 AM
I haven't BTDT as a parent, but have experience as an RN. Unfortunately you are correct that you can't "reason" with a kid that young.

things that I have seen work:
favorite videos
special toys that only get brought out for nebs
overall distraction

Your kiddo isn't going to like it and I'm not one for holding and forcing unless absolutely necessary.

It will get better as your child gets older.

Sometimes kids don't like the masks. Talk to your pulmonologist about other ways to get the medicine there instead of holding a mask to her face. You can use a regular t-piece and have it blowing in her face, but some kids hate that worse!

Jacksmommy2b
12-06-2009, 08:09 AM
J was always more compliant with the 'blow-by' nebi than the aero chamber.

When it comes to the nebi I am a pretty big fan of bribe/distract/sneak. :)

At her age I would try to do at least one treatment when she was sleeping. We added some extra tubing to the nebi and were able to place it outside of the room and hold the piece in front of his face. It wasn't load enough to wake him up and I was always confident he got the most possible medication.

She is a little young to sucessfully bribe so distraction may be the best way to go. Can you try a treat or like a pp mentioned a usually 'banned' TV show?

Maybe if you can keep her busy with a fruit cup she won't focus on the nebi and you can sneak it in there.

Good luck, I know how hard it can be and you have my admiration for dealing with it and a 10 month old!

himom
12-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Do you have the mask that straps on? Maybe if she can still move around a bit she'll be happier?

We tried a combination of things. We got the "fish" mask, which he enjoyed. We treated him a few times when he was asleep, just directing the flow of air in front of his nose and mouth. We also let him watch television ONLY when he was getting a treatment, which worked like magic.

Hope you figure out something that works for you!

sunshine873
12-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! We started with the T-piece and she was fine with that, because she could still play or do whatever. Then we had a "test" with respiratory and they said the mask is much better because they get the full meds. So that's when we started using the mask. I would really like to go back to the T-piece but am concerned that I'd be cutting her short on what she needs. Am I just being a paranoid new mom? Heck, at this point, she'd probably get just as much from the T-piece because she's always pulling the mask away anyway...

mom_hanna
12-06-2009, 10:15 AM
We always do the blowing in the face method. When ds was that age, we set him up in the highchair, put it in front of the tv with Dora, and gave him a snack. He would sit perfectly still while we blew the nebulizer in his face. Figured even if he wasn't getting all the meds, he was getting more than he was when he was fighting it and trying to get away.