PDA

View Full Version : In need of a backpack diaper bag?

Dream
12-06-2009, 05:14 PM
I have regular messenger style diaper bag that I've been using since my DD was born. But lately I've been wanting a backpack diaper bag. I've narrowed it to the 2 below:

Lands End backpack diaper bag (About $30)
http://www.landsend.com/pp/BackpackDiaperBag~194178_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::FKH&CM_MERCH=SRCH_00001&origin=search

One Step Ahead backpack bag ($80)
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=6451&cmSource=Search

Any advice would be appreciated. If anyone use either of the 2 I would love to hear your opinion. Thank you.

MamaKath
12-06-2009, 08:41 PM
I haven't seen the newest version of the LE, but would probably go with that one out of the 2 you have listed. LE is very good about standing behind their products, they overall investment is lower, especially on sale right now, reputation of previous versions has been excellent. The OSA one is okay, but the straps are a bit awkward.

If you are open to looking at others, Baby Sherpa makes great bags. The Original Sherpa and the Shorthaul are both great!
http://www.babysherpabackpacks.com/baby-sherpa-shorthaul/
http://www.babysherpabackpacks.com/baby-sherpa-diaper-backpack/

PAfirsttimemom
12-07-2009, 01:11 AM
Hi. Hope you don't mind my jumping in with a question: How big is the Land's End bag? I'm going to Disney in less than two weeks, and I'm thinking I'd like to get a backpack diaper bag before then. I have two kids--one still in diapers.

Dream
12-07-2009, 11:58 AM
PAfirsttimemom, no problem, jump right in. If your question is directed at me, I really don't know the size. There's lot of good reviews on the LE previous versions but I couldn't find anything on this new models.

MamaKath, thank you for the recommendation. I'm going to see whether I can find a site that shows the inside. Do you know how much room and pockets are in the Lands End backpack compared to the One Step Ahead.

My main requirement is to have enough room. For diapers, wipes, milk bottles, milk cartons, extra set of cloths, food, sippy cup, munchies, meds and a blanket. I'm planning on visiting Universal in couple of months which is why I'm searching for a backpack. There's loads of good reviews about the bag from One Step Ahead, pretty much everyone seems happy. Price is steep too though.

Dream
12-07-2009, 12:23 PM
I just looked up Baby Sherpa backpack, sounds good, great reviews. Only downfall is that its pricier than the Urban bag by One Step Ahead. Now I don't know what to do.

stinkyfeet
12-09-2009, 09:26 PM
I just looked up Baby Sherpa backpack, sounds good, great reviews. Only downfall is that its pricier than the Urban bag by One Step Ahead. Now I don't know what to do.

Baby Sherpa and Shorthaul are on Costco online now (and cheaper the the OSA bag)! Anyone recommend one over the other?

MamaKath
12-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Baby Sherpa and Shorthaul are on Costco online now (and cheaper the the OSA bag)! Anyone recommend one over the other?
The links above have them pretty cheap too. I personally like both Sherpas better than the OSA. I have both the full size and the Shorthaul. I used the Sherpa more when I had kiddos in dipes and on trips. I still use the Shorthaul a ton (even without kiddos in dipes) because I can carry my lunch and snacks for the kids with me on my day to day along with the rest of our stuff. They are both fantastic bags, especially if you have the need for the cooler section.

If you don't need the cooler section go for a LE backpack and add a snack/mini-cooler if needed. Or carry a seperate lunch sack.

PAfirsttimemom
12-11-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm thinking of ordering the Sherpa for a trip to Disney next week. I have one kid in dipes and one just potty-trained. Do you think this would be a good bag for this? Will I get much use out of it beyond Disney? I can order on Amazon using my Prime trial and get the two-day delivery.

PAfirsttimemom
12-11-2009, 06:44 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Dad-Gear-Black-Backpack-Diaper/dp/B000O1SLSI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1260571409&sr=1-1

Does anyone have any experience with the Dad Gear backpack? This one seems to get better reviews than the Baby Sherpa on amazon.

smcdonald2
12-13-2009, 03:56 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Dad-Gear-Black-Backpack-Diaper/dp/B000O1SLSI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1260571409&sr=1-1

Does anyone have any experience with the Dad Gear backpack? This one seems to get better reviews than the Baby Sherpa on amazon.

I don't have this, but it's the second most popular backpack diaper bag on buzzillions.com. The diaper bag backpacks that rank the best are (in order):

One Step Ahead Urban Backpack
Dadgear Backpack Diaper Bag
California Innovations Columbia Trekster
JuJuBe Packabe

arivecchi
12-13-2009, 04:02 PM
I have a Baby Sherpa backpack. It is awesome for travel and overnight trips. It is also useful on a daily basis if you have a couple of kids. Probably too large for just one kid (to use on a daily basis).

Dream
12-13-2009, 10:34 PM
I ordered the Urban backpack diaper bag by OSA. I decided to go with this one because of all the pockets it claims to have so everything wouldn't get lost inside. I really liked the Baby Sherpa bag too but I liked the way Urban bag's diaper items holding part opens up. Once I receive it I'll give a review in this thread.

Thank you for all the good recommendations.

PAfirsttimemom
12-14-2009, 02:59 AM
I ended up getting the Columbia Trekster by California Innovations the other night at BRU. Hope it works out!

scrooks
12-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Anyone know anything about this backpack on babysteals???
http://www.babysteals.com/

Dream
12-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Anyone know anything about this backpack on babysteals???
http://www.babysteals.com/

That's looks pretty good. Specially at that price. I wish they had more pictures of the inside.

PAfirsttimemom
12-15-2009, 05:21 PM
I agree. That does look good!

Dream
12-17-2009, 12:39 PM
So I received the bag yesterday. Looks good in the sense it doesn't look like a diaper bag at all. Lots of pockets as claimed but I don't know whether it fits my needs. Diaper storage area is great, there's room for bottles etc.

I usually take packs of lil milk small cartons and a fruite juice carton. I couldn't find a place to fit them in 'coz the pockets that it would fit into are made of mesh, I feel it migh tear after few uses due to the cartons shart corners unless you push them in very carefully. This is my personal issue and another might not have this problem at all.

Other than that its a great bag. But I'm going to look into other bags again, see whether I can find something that'll make me 100% happy.

Dream
12-17-2009, 05:08 PM
How can I find out the bag that was listed st babysteals.com?

goldenpig
12-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been looking for a diaper backpack because our Diaper Dude shoulder bag is so heavy to carry on one shoulder.

Just found and ordered this new backpack from Baby Sherpa that has a laptop compartment:
Baby Sherpa Alpha

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L69N9U/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Baby Sherpa ALPHA Black Diaper 4-in-1 Bag Backpack. Alpha Sherpa is the new generation of the Sherpa line. The high tech design incorporates all of the great features of the original Baby Sherpa along with an updated rip stop herringbone fabric and storage space for your laptop or mobile media device. Get carried away with Sherpa's most versatile backpack. From laptop to lunch or commuting to courtside-you'll lead the way no matter what pack you prowl with! FEATURES: - Rugged Construction - Carry-on friendly - Ergonomically designed - Laptop Sleeve - DVD and Video pouch - Soft side cooler

It's originally $119 but $99 on Amazon, and right now it's also $10 off on top of that so $89 with free shipping!

MamaKath
12-20-2009, 11:12 PM
How can I find out the bag that was listed st babysteals.com?
B aby steals are 1 day only deals. Keep watching that, kidswoot.com and mamabargains.com and you may find your perfect deal.

huskie79
12-26-2009, 07:01 PM

I just got the Dad Gear after going through a Diaper Dude & and EB backpack. Have to say, it's the best bag I have used (2nd child). Lot's of space, clever feats like the wipe case & stroller straps, and very cool, non-diaper bag style. I'm already hiding it from my wife who likes it better than hers. If you buy, check out their facebook page for a coupon code.

audys
01-23-2010, 01:02 AM
I have Land's End backpack, Baby Sherpa, Kecci, Chester, Timi and Leslie and Ju Ju Be.

The Land's End is large like a school backpack and great for travel. This is the one we use for Disney.

I also love the JJB Packabe for more every day but it's smaller than the LE.

The Sherpa is a good bag but the bottom cooler compartment MUST be packed or it falls right over and is off balance.

Happy shopping!

Dream
01-24-2010, 07:00 PM
So far I love Land's End bag. The only thing I'm missing is there's no cooler compartment but its not a big deal for me.

twowhat?
01-31-2010, 03:25 PM
OK, so I've been looking for a diaper backpack for my twins that has bungee cords and a cooler compartment and the only one that fit the bill was the Baby Sherpa...but I was hesitant about its price and the fact that the cooler compartment has to be filled in order for the bag to stand on its own.

So, I decided to try getting this:
http://www.landsend.com/pp/DeluxeBackpack~207351_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000001286&origin=index

and this:
http://www.landsend.com/pp/Pack~205265_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000001286&origin=index

in hopes that it will work. Being able to use/not use the separate lunch cooler could be useful, and the laptop sleeve would be really useful for plane travel. Will update on its usefulness when I get the items:) Bonus is I had a code for 10% off clearance items and free shipping and I can just return them if I don't like:cheerleader1:

arivecchi
01-31-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm traveling with my Baby Sherpa right now. It has 2 change of clothes for the kids, 2 bottles for the baby, 2 sippy cups for DS1, diapers, wipes, my 2 blackberries, my keys, camera, snacks for both boys, pacis, my shawl, my wallet, my sunglasses, two thick fleece blankets for the boys (in mesh in front). I still have room. My sis carried it yesterday at the mall and she marveled that such a heavy bag did not weigh on her shoulders much. Ergonomic design. :thumbsup: It just rocks.

maurenemm
02-02-2010, 01:45 PM
twowhat? - I remember a few weeks ago when we seemed to be searching for the same type of backpack. I too saw the LE Eco Friendly bag and almost got it. It looks great.

Funny thing is I said I wanted a backpack with a cooler and bungee cords but I ordered one without either.

twowhat?
02-02-2010, 03:08 PM
twowhat? - I remember a few weeks ago when we seemed to be searching for the same type of backpack. I too saw the LE Eco Friendly bag and almost got it. It looks great.

Funny thing is I said I wanted a backpack with a cooler and bungee cords but I ordered one without either.

Yes I thought about you when I ordered it!! I will let you know what I think. Price is nice, and I got the backpack and matching cooler (the drink compartment on the cooler comes off, which I didn't realize until I read the description).

What did you end up ordering?

a2mom
02-03-2010, 03:12 PM
I have the Alpha Sherpa, which is pretty big. I've only been using it about a month and am still getting used to it but it has a lot of potential. I really like the cooler area at the bottom and the insulated cup pouch on the side.

I'm only 5' 2", so this bag is a little big for me, but the organization inside is pretty nice, and having a lighter lining color makes finding things a bit easier.