PDA

View Full Version : Legos or Playmobil?

bluestar2
12-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Which get these get the most play in your house?

SnuggleBuggles
12-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Legos win in my household over action figure/ playsets. We skipped Playmobil but have Imaginext sets. They get play but ds really goes to town with Lego creations. he has Lego versions of everyone he knows and creates adventures for them all the time.

Some times ds is more in a Lego phase than others but they are a staple he always comes back to enthusiastically.

Beth

hillview
12-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Open ended legos (Duplos in our case) would be the toy of choice here. I guess I'd get the legos b/c it sounds like even if they don't like the "house" they can use the bricks for open play.
/hillary

brittone2
12-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Both are indispensable around here. DS wasn't into figure type play until he was about 4 or 4.5 though. DD was into it before she turned 2, so she played PM right along with her brother as soon as he started getting into it.

Not all kids enjoy figure play though, so if you don't think your DC is into it, then I'd recommend open-ended Lego.

firstbaby
12-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Our PM gets tons of play here, but the roman sets aren't their favorite. The vehicles are the ones they go for every day - family camper, jeep, etc. Each of my DC are getting another PM vehicle for Christmas because they are so well loved. The police station is another favorite as well. Legos are fun for them, too, and they only have an open ended set so far but seem happy with what they can make with it. HTH.

hellokitty
12-06-2009, 11:10 PM
My older two (almost 6 yr old and a 4.5 yr old) are nuts about lego. HOWEVER, lately they have been getting more into pretend playing with figures, which in the past they have mostly ignored. So, we are now getting to the point where I might start getting more playmobil (we have a few sets). DS1 really wants the Egyptian pyramid set, but it's so expensive. I'm reluctant to get it, b/c we spent a lot on lego for this Christmas already.

KpbS
12-07-2009, 01:56 AM
My DS1 loves, loves, loves his PM knights. We also have some rescue type people sets--medical helicopter, firefighters, a policeman, etc. He has also been begging for (and recently received for b-day) pirates. We've had Duplos for a long time but legos are new here and he is just getting into building with them.

If I were you, I'd get one set of PM that your DC could use with the PM they already have (like this perhaps http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3368230) and another container of lego bricks if you feel they are needed. Your DC might prefer legos and you don't want to spend a fortune on toys that won't get much play.

baileygirl
12-07-2009, 05:05 AM
You might consider either the Lego Road Construction Set or the Ultimate Lego Vehicle Building Set.

wimama
12-07-2009, 10:43 AM
This is a great post for me. My DS is 3 1/2 years old and I think he is ready for either Legos or Playmobil. We had his Duplo set out and he had fun playing with the Bob the Builder characters and vehicles.

He is pretty well set on presents, until his birthday in April. (Santa is really on top of things this year.) I really like this Playmobil Airplane for his first set.

http://www.amazon.com/Playmobil-4310-Jet-Plane/dp/B000EMFAWM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1260196708&sr=8-1

But, we were at the store and DS really likes this ice cream palour set. The pieces are itty bitty though. I think he just likes it because of the ice cream.

http://www.amazon.com/Playmobil-Super-Set-Cream-Parlour/dp/B000INFGP8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1260196791&sr=1-1

Any other sets of Legos or Playmobil good for younger kids?

Karenn
12-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Legos are currently winning out in our household. DS (7) went through an "all playmobil all the time" phase, but the playmobil has taken a back seat to the legos. He and his buddies are constantly building ships, bases and having space battles.

bluestar2
12-07-2009, 01:41 PM
DS1 really wants the Egyptian pyramid set, but it's so expensive.

*I* want this set, but it is sold out everywhere (and I refuse to pay twice as much as the MSRP on Amazon)!

Thanks for the input. I like both Legos and PM, but either I am not buying the right stuff or DC just isn't into these toys so much, which shouldn't surprise me since they aren't interested in many toys that most kids seem to like (trains, dress up, cars, trucks, fire engines, figures etc).

Last year, we got a box of basic open ended Legos and they mostly sit in the box. DS enjoys assembling the PM sets together but that's as far as it goes. DD likes to line up the Lego blocks into patterns but doesn't really make stuff. I have brought both out into prominent view to see if they have a preference. Maybe I will get a small set of PM and call it a day.

Seitvonzu
12-07-2009, 04:26 PM
if you are looking for the playmobil egypt stuff- you might want to call your local toys r us...they are running a 20% off special this week and get trucks frequently. i went seeking the tomb set today (for an adult friend, count me as another person who wants the PYRAMID set :) and they had NO egypt at all. however, she told me they would be likely to get more in and to check back (it just went on sale yesterday)

don't despair! the pyramid could be in your backyard :)

hellokitty
12-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Wow, I had no idea they were running out of the egyptian line. The playmobil stuff at my TRU is always untouched...

bluestar2
12-07-2009, 08:35 PM
The new Egyptian pyramid set is OOS everywhere, except for Amazon, where it is selling for double the price. The closest TRU is 2 hours away, if not more.

hellokitty
12-07-2009, 11:38 PM
The new Egyptian pyramid set is OOS everywhere, except for Amazon, where it is selling for double the price. The closest TRU is 2 hours away, if not more. I guess I could ask someone to check for me, but considering how pricey it is, and not knowing if DC would even play with it, it probably isn't worth the trouble. Honestly, I am drawn to it partly because *I* want to play with it! :loveeyes:

I feel the same exact way. Even though DS says he wants it, there is no guarantee he will get our $ worth out of it. I too want to check it out. I heard there are all sorts of little secret passage ways, etc., it just sounds really cool. I would have loved that toy when I was a kid.

shishamo
12-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Does your child enjoy more pretend play with figures, or does he likes to build/make things?

My oldest (he's almost 10) has been VERY into legos for the past 3--4 years or so. In fact he sold off almost all his toys last year to fund more Lego purchase, so we truly have only legos :) A lot of his friends still enjoy them as well- still a popular birthday present. If he likes to build it will be enjoyed a lot. we have a huge tub (and I mean HUGE) of open ended blocks plus a lot of themed sets (Star Wars is very popular). This will be for a older child but I think Lego MindStorm is such a cool toy as well.

My Youngest (she's 5 years 3 months) LOVES playmobil. She is extremely imaginative and loves to set up stories with figures. I am getting her more playmobil for xmas. My son was never into playmobil-as I said, he's a lot more into building than imaginative play.

mommytotwo
12-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Legos win at our house, although the Playmobile pirate ship has been very popular.